Thread: Skylights

Default Skylights

Always some method I haven't seen. These were on a 9 years old house. There is no evidence of any historical leaking. If I had seen this on a new construction, I would bet money on it leaking. It appears to be nothing more than than some form of Plexiglas inserted under the shingles. There is no frame and you can see the top of the Sheetrock in the pix.

Any comments? I haven't emailed the report yet.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Thom Walker; 06-22-2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling impaired
    Inspection Referral
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Richard Rushing Guest

Default Re: Skylights

This may be wordy, but it is something that I would state...

This home has non-standard type skylights installed at two locations. A visual/ non-destructive type inspection was conducted, at which time, I did not observe any evidence of moisture staining or previous leaks.

However, the servicability and service life of this non-standard product, and the means by which it is installed, cannot be predicted or physically inspected for proper installation. My visual inspection identified the following concerns:
    • No visible/ verifiable means of determining if the insert is flashed properly without physically removing the shingles around it. Doing so (shingle removal) is beyond the scope of this inspection and is not in accordance with the TREC Standards of Practice for inspectors.
    • Visibility to the sheetrock around the framed sections is a real concern with possible condensation build-up (not uncommon on skylight materials) which could eventually wick into the edges of the drywall product. Once introduced, any condensation could grow into other undesirable conditions.
    • Future repairs or replacements to a non-standard item will usually require further modifying the roof opening, which can be both costly and problematic.
    My recommendation: is for the buyers to condition the 'Amendment' for purchase, an item to include purchase receipts and any installation receipts, with warranties that may be transferable from seller to buyer.

Richard

Last edited by Richard Rushing; 06-22-2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: speelen

David Banks Guest

Now thats good Richard.

Thank you for your response. It is similar to what I wound up sending. I may send an ammended report tomorrow.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

They used to make skylights like that many years ago. I used to install them back then too.

Never had a problem with leaks either.

Now, though, most skylights are curb mount types.

Before referring to them as "non-standard", I would simply state that curb mount skylights are less prone to leaking than non-curb (curbless, we called them) skylights - HOWEVER - also remind them that ALL skylights are prone to leak.

These ( Skylights by CeeFlow, Inc. - Skylights and Custom Projects - Specifications ) are not the ones from years ago, but they are still "curbless" skylights.

There are also round skylights, with and without curbs.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com