WindsurferLA Guest

Unhappy tankless & high% FAH vent placement restrictions

I'm seeking to replace old FAH and hot water heater with new 95+% FAH and tank-less hot water heater. Both are currently are on the top floor of 3-story Redondo Beach, CA, condo and vent through the roof. We want to place both new units in the bottom level and vent them (as well as the gas dryer) out through the side of the structure adjacent to the guest parking space. The vents would be between 80" and 100" above grade.

We can meet all of the manufacturer's venting requirements for vent height, spacing, and distance from windows, but I'm uncertain about code requirements associated with isolation from pedestrians and vehicles. None of the HAC or plumbing contractors that have bid on the job expressed concern about compatibility with the parking area. However, I don't want to get sued because exhaust gases have eaten through the finish of a car parked a few feet a away from a vent, or because someone gets burned sticking their hand into an exhaust vent.

One web site, indicates that the National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1/NFPA 54 effectively prohibits what I'm trying to do. I don't know if the version that I've viewed is up-to-date. See:
    http://www.allstyle.com/installation...lersManual.pdf

Should I be concerned? Where can I find appropriate guidance? I know of at least one installation where a tank-less system has been vented above a walkway. Is it legal? Certainly there are going to be many others with the same question as these new heating appliances become more popular.