Shawn Watkins Guest

Default Need QUICK advice!

I need to return a bid for an inspection on (2) 15 unit apartment buildings. They are on slab, each unit is a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom. This will be my first apartment; however, I have done several townhouses. How do ya'll normally price these inspections and what are some of the things to look for on apartments? Thanks so much in advance!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Need QUICK advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Watkins View Post
    I need to return a bid for an inspection on (2) 15 unit apartment buildings. They are on slab, each unit is a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom. This will be my first apartment; however, I have done several townhouses. How do ya'll normally price these inspections and what are some of the things to look for on apartments? Thanks so much in advance!
    I charge a base fee for the complex and then a per unit fee.

Base fee of $650 for the complex and then $55 per unit. This is my typical price for a small complex like this. The price also depends on what the client wants.

I will not quote a price until I take a look at the complex. I have had too many surprises over the years!

At this price and for this size apartment you should spend about 5-10 minutes in each unit. On a few you might spend a little more time, it is not like a typical home inspection. You are going to be reporting on the overall condition of the apartment. Also, you are only at the complex for a period of time (that day only), so if you can't get into a unit too bad, you still charge for it. With 30 units I would say you can plan on not being able to get into 3-4 of them.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 01-12-2010 at 03:15 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I figure out how many hours the job will take and multiply that by my hourly fee. Depending on how badly I want the job from there, I may either add or subtract a percentage.

Length of inspection depends on how quickly you take notes. I figure on 30-40 minutes per unit. This means at least 8 hours to do the interiors of each building. The exteriors usually will take me a couple of hours. Writing the report is another half day each. You are looking at a minimum of 3 days to inspect and report. Price accordingly.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Shawn Watkins Guest

ok, thanks guys for the quick response.

Fritz - at 4140.00 for your "bid" I'm guessing you don't do many of these :-)

Call it about two days work, figure an hourly rate and add or subtract depending on the 'report' desired for each unit/building.

As low as 2100 or as high as 2800 (give or take a tad)...

YMMV...
    -Mike

We know why you fly: because the bus is too expensive and the railroad has a dress code...
    www.atozinspector.com

Ted Menelly Guest

It is surprising how little time those buildings take to inspect and report. Those 2 combined buildings should not take more than 2 days to inspect and report.

Unit numbers coincide with pictures. Do the outside and take your pictures and make a quick note on each picture. Do all the units in the same manner. Go home. Do your report, Email it off. Maybe 2 days. Even at the equivalent of 4 decent size home inspections ans say 500 per.

2000 for 2 day or push it up with a termite inspection.

If you have ever done a 2/1 apartment unit then you know that you are in and out in around 10 minutes. It does not take long to look at a nasty 500sf apartment! I can't tell you how many times I have gone in with site rep and found folks sleeping in their bed, floor and even in a bath tub. If they are sleeping in the room, I don't go in.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com