Default Aerobic System Maintenance Agreements in Texas

I just found out that in 2007, homeowners are not required by TCEQ to have a maintenance agreement on their aerobic septic systems. On further investigation, TCEQ turned it over to local jurisdictions (be they counties or river authorities) to continue with the more stringent rules. Upon speaking to the gentleman at Region V, he confided that only 4 counties continue to require these agreements.

My county did not pick up the slack and we can maintain our own. I personally feel like an idiot b/c as a home inspector I should have known this. Secondly, as an aerobic system owner, I feel fleeced b/c I've been "forced" to pay for yearly maintenance fees since 2007. My maintainer has a little statement in his contract about calling the poop cops if I don't keep a maintenance agreement.

So, on behalf of aerobic system owners in the great state of Texas, I'm broadcasting to everyone I know.

If you are unsure whether your area still requires a maintenance agreement, contact TCEQ.

What am I going to do with my $175/yr ?? I know, I'll save for the next sprinkler pump or maybe chlorine tablets.