Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Skeptical of Aid Donations

I went into a local convenience store today on the way to my morning inspection for some water and snacks. As I checked out, the cashier pointed to a sign next to the register and asked me if I wanted to donate to the Haiti relief fund in light of the earthquake and devastation that country is going through. I said "no, I'll pass for now".

As tragic as the situation is, I just can't trust that my money will be going to the intended cause. I was always leery of stuff like this but after hearing the stories after Katrina about how many donated items went to waste or just sat on shipping docks, I'm content to let the USA make our pledge of relief and leave it at that.

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Skeptical of Aid Donations

I got an email from an organization I'd already donated to around Christmas time. FINCA - Charitable Microfinance Organization - FINCA International , a micro-finance outfit. So I sent them some $$. Also, I don't think you can go wrong with the Red Cross.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Where my contribution went: these people provide a "home in box" (a ten person tent, actually, along with cooking and water purification methods) - very useful when your house has been flattened and everything you owned is under 20 tons of concrete - have an *excellent* reputation for quick response and low administrative costs, and previous on-the-ground experience in Haiti.

Shelterbox USA

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 01-14-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I'm much more likely to give to small, local organizations that you can actually talk to the people involved and keep an eye on what they're doing.

The large agencies do some good in the end but the amount of money that actually reaches the people that need it is very small compared to the amount you donate. I'm sure the head of the Red Cross or Salvation Army makes 5X what any of us do. My mom worked as an organizer for a non-profit agency for years and I've known several other people involved in them. The abuses and wasting of money that goes on are staggering.

There's a group around here called NW medial teams that I've donated to before. Basically, it's a bunch of doctors that donate their time, load up airplanes and travel to hard hit areas and help out... immediately. No fluff... just action.

Then there's this site which can help you evaluate charities, if so inclined:

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com