Doug Gressett Guest

Default Pool Light Problem

I have an inground gunite pool w/light. The light went out after about 9 years (did not use it much). Had to wait until the water warmed up enough to replace the light last spring. It went out again after only about 5 months. Ideas?

I figured if the seal was not good and water got into the canister that it would have gone out immediately.

Also, they (original installers) cut the wire too short so to get the cansiter out I had to tape a fish line at the breaker box and feed it back to allow enough slack to get the light fixture out of the water.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Pool Light Problem

Doug,

Water and electricity are not compatible for sure.

You really should let a reputable Pool contractor or a Licensed Electrician deal with a pool light. There are some things that homeowners should not attempt to do.

rick.

Did you replace the seal with a new one when the bulb was replaced?
    Is the cord deteriorated?
    Did you touch the bulb with your fingers and not clean it off (assuming it is a halogen bulb)?
    Did you "test it" while it was above the water line?
    Was the voltage rating of the bulb the same as the original?
    Like Rick said, there is more to it that just screwing in a new bulb and a professional pool guy or electrician familiar with pools is your best bet.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Doug Gressett Guest

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. And I think I will follow your and Rick's advice and hire this one done next time. I had an electrician help me, but it was his first pool light as well. Thanks.

Jim covered the touching of the bulb. I had this same problem once with a pool light and then after a few bulbs I realized that I was touching the bulb after being advised not to do so. Duh! Replaced it with some vinyl gloves on and it worked fine.

rick

Doug Gressett Guest

I am sure we touched the light, but tried to clean it off. Would that cause it to work for a few times and then go out, or would it be OUT on the first try when back in the water?

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gressett View Post
    I am sure we touched the light, but tried to clean it off. Would that cause it to work for a few times and then go out, or would it be OUT on the first try when back in the water?

Why shouldn't I touch my halogen bulb with my fingers?
    Do not touch the surface of a quartz halogen bulb with bare fingers, as the quartz surface will be exposed to the salts and oils in the hand. This will cause a weak area and lead to premature lamp failure. If you happen to contact the bulb with your fingers, carefully clean the quartz surface with a gentle solvent such as alcohol.

A.D. Miller Guest

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Actually vinyl gloves (oils, conditioners, and possibly powder) aren't the best choice.

Clean cotton gloves, or a clean cotton rag (washed, rinsed well - no fabric softeners or dryer sheets used) used to handle is the best bet.

Residue on the bulb prevents heat from being transfered, creating a hot spot/reflects back to the innards of the bulb and premature failure.

Same techniques used to change old projector bulbs and headlight bulbs.

Doug Gressett Guest

Thumbs up Re: Pool Light Problem

You guys are the greatest.

I am sure that touching the light and not getting it completely clean contributed to the quick failure. I will contact an electrician for the next replacement. I will probably have him pull in new wire to assure that there is adequate slack to get the container out of the water for ease in replacement.

Roger Frazee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Gressett View Post
    You guys are the greatest.

I am sure that touching the light and not getting it completely clean contributed to the quick failure. I will contact an electrician for the next replacement. I will probably have him pull in new wire to assure that there is adequate slack to get the container out of the water for ease in replacement.
    Also, they (original installers) cut the wire too short so to get the cansiter out I had to tape a fish line at the breaker box and feed it back to allow enough slack to get the light fixture out of the water.
    You mentioned you had to feed a fish line from the breaker box in order for you to get the light up on the pool deck. I'm curious how that is done if the light cord is terminated in a pool junction box to the power supply. Is a continuous wiring method run or cord run all the way to the light niche and not using a pool jb? Anyway it does not sound correct even if it is too short. I'm picturing disconnecting from the breaker and neutral and ground then tying to fish tape and feeding the fish tape into the conduit. Getting an electrician to correct this is a good idea and might have him check for proper pool bonding while he is there. Be sure he is pool experienced.

Doug Gressett Guest

Yes, we had to disconnect from breaker box and feed back down conduit to get slack at pool side. It would appear that it was wired in dry (of course) but when they tied in, they did not take into consideration leaving enough slack in the light canister to allow it to be removed above the eventual water line. I will be sure to check for pool certification when getting an electrician. My friend (electrician) that helped me with this was not and told me so. We thought we had the bases covered, but apparently did not.