Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    James Ramsey Guest

Default Inspection vehicle signage

I'm thinking about having the whole vehicle signage installed on my inspection vehicle. Anyone got any pictures or comments on if it has helped you. How much did it cost?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Inspection vehicle signage

Quote Originally Posted by James Ramsey View Post
    I'm thinking about having the whole vehicle signage installed on my inspection vehicle. Anyone got any pictures or comments on if it has helped you. How much did it cost?
    JR: Change your mind. Even prostitutes do not use signage.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Prostitutes make good money but are embarrassed about the the profession they are in?

I've never had signs/decals on any vehicle and don't think I will. Really don't like the idea of being that visible. Being in the City break-in and license plates are an issue. I would check to see if putting stuff on your vehicle puts it into the commercial category which could mean higher license plate and city sticker fees. Also for me I wouldn't be able to use LSD if I had stuff on my truck, that would really increase travel time.
    A friend has his company info in his back window only, he gets calls from time to time. Maybe MT will chime in, I know his inspection vehicle is covered, it looks good. Don't know ever he gets calls from it. MT where are you?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Prostitutes make good money but are embarrassed about the the profession they are in?
    CM: Yes, like most doctors, lawyers, scientists, et al.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Hmmmmmmm........home inspection vehicle + vehicle signage is comparable to prostitution.

Interesting.

Ted Menelly Guest

I have had letters and such on the sides and back of my vehicles forever and can probably count the amount of times I got a call from it.

I do find some of these wraps pretty intriguing. They catch my eye all the time. Some I think are pretty ridiculous but others are serious pieces of art that make you look. As long as the number stands out the most that would be pretty good. My last truck just had info on the back window as most of the time the folks that have time enough to note the name and number are behind you. Not when you blow by them at 70 on the highway.

You know that if someone is keeping up with you on the highway to get your info, it is either a cop or someone in desperate need of an immediate inspection You get the call and you have work. Or, you get stopped and you better get the work to pay for the ticket.

Besides. Your name all over your vehicle makes it a bad get away vehicle Yeah it was this guy 6 feet tall with dark hair and a big gorilla on the side of his truck

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Hmmmmmmm........home inspection vehicle + vehicle signage is comparable to prostitution.

Interesting.
    NO: You made that connection, not I.

Call me a prostitute then.

My company name is on my truck. Has it hurt me? All I can say is I've had numerous people call me either sitting beside me in traffic, in the drive thru, at the bank, while pumping gas all inquire about a home inspection. Many of those I have booked and taken money for.

Yes, I'm a prostitute but I have whored around some too.

rick.

Hi Markus, actually it's rear-window only. I get 2-3 jobs a year from it, and it's garaged except when I'm on the road. First one paid for the signage, and in this economy, every little bit helps.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

CM: Yes, like most doctors, lawyers, scientists, et al.
    I have signs on the windows of my canopy (oops, that's Canadian for a truck cap).

If you're in the trades, signage shows you are legit, not a fly-by-night trunk-slammer. I believe signage is good for a home inspector who thinks of himself as a tradesman. For some people, it says "that's his fulltime job".

If you're above that because you work exclusively for wealthy clients who keep you booked fulltime, maybe you drive a black Escalade with no markings.

I would like to put wrap signs on a half dozen vans and just leave them parked in malls around town for a year, see if it helps.

A.D. Miller Guest

I have signs on the windows of my canopy (oops, that's Canadian for a truck cap).
    JK: OK, and what is a "trunk cap" in the rest of the world?

If you're in the trades, signage shows you are legit, not a fly-by-night trunk-slammer.
    JK: No, it simply means that you opted for signage.

I believe signage is good for a home inspector who thinks of himself as a tradesman.
    JK: Yes, and I do not.

If you're above that because you work exclusively for wealthy clients who keep you booked fulltime, maybe you drive a black Escalade with no markings.
    JK: I wouldn't own and Escalade.

I would like to put wrap signs on a half dozen vans and just leave them parked in malls around town for a year, see if it helps.
    JK: That is old-school marketing which amounts to throwing as much crap on the wall as you can to see how much sticks. Or, said differently, blanketing your surroundings with your commercial feces for profit.

JK: That is old-school marketing which amounts to throwing as much crap on the wall as you can to see how much sticks. Or, said differently, blanketing your surroundings with your commercial feces for profit.
    Commercial feces. Hmmmmm.........

I just got back from the CVS phamarcy to get my meds and while sitting in my truck, I had a young couple flag me down to ask about a HI. Seems they just heard their contract was accepted and was told by there agent to find a HI.

Booked it for Tues. afternoon and the great thing is its about 3 blks from the whorehouse here.

You just never know where that next "trick" will come from.

rick

I just ordered a2 inkjetted perforated vinyl signs which mimics my business card for the rear side windows of my Volvo wagon, I think it will help neibors from calling the cops when i park in front of the home to inspect.

It's happened a couple of times last year.

I think it's as far as i'll go.

May help recruit some business too....

JK: OK, and what is a "trunk cap" in the rest of the world?
    I don't know, but here's a pic of a "business coupe" with a trunk.

Yes, Joe, before signage, I used to get neighbourhood watchmen moving in to interrogate me, "Watcha doin' here?"

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Don Burbach Guest

A few years ago I was in a hurry on a way to an inspection and I got a call on my work number which is forwarded to my cell phone.

The caller said she wanted me to know that my company's driver was discourteous and had just cut her off. I was polite, but realized she was right in back of me. I told her I would call my employee immediately and I slowed my work van down to less than the speed limit 30 seconds later on a two lane road where passing was difficult.

I am not sure she realized that she had talked directly to the drive, but I had a good chuckle. Of course, I was reminded that I wasn't anonymous on the road.

Has it got me any business? I am not sure, I've certainly given out some cards and flyers though. I am happy to talk to anyone who might need and inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burbach View Post
    A few years ago I was in a hurry on a way to an inspection and I got a call on my work number which is forwarded to my cell phone.

The caller said she wanted me to know that my company's driver was discourteous and had just cut her off. I was polite, but realized she was right in back of me. I told her I would call my employee immediately and I slowed my work van down to less than the speed limit 30 seconds later on a two lane road where passing was difficult.

I am not sure she realized that she had talked directly to the drive, but I had a good chuckle. Of course, I was reminded that I wasn't anonymous on the road.

That is why I removed the signs from my truck.

I was ALWAYS in a hurry, and in South Florida that usually meant me driving up and down the Turnpike at 90-95 mph ... not conducive to having signs on the vehicle for the reason stated above. Granted, most other people were also going 90-95 mpg, but I did get a couple of calls like that so I took my signs off.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

90-95 mph? Jerry, maybe you should have left the signs on so the coroner would be able to look up your business address from outside the vehicle looking at your signage and notify your family where they could pick up your remains.

Slow down man.

Rick,

My two Chevy Astro vans would govern out at 95 mph, basically shutting the engine down until the speed dropped to about 90 mph, when the engine would lit back up ... I suspect the governor shut off the fuel supply to idle and then opened back up. I will tell you that the first time that happened and the engine shut down I thought it had died ... until it came back when the van slowed down.

My Chevy Express 1500 conversion van I bought in 2002 would govern out at 97-98 mph, but it was simply taper off on the engine, and with a slight lift of the throttle the engine would be there willing to go again.

I have slowed down, rarely go over 10 over the limit now, usually much closer to the limit, and in residential areas I keep it under 5 over and usually right near the speed limit.

Not in as much of a hurry as I used to be ... and speeding tickets in Florida have gotten EXPENSIVE too:
    6-9 over the limit = $80.50
    10-14 over = $155.50
    15-19 over = $180.50
    20-29 over = $205.50
    30 & over = #305.50

Those are MINIMUMS, they may be higher based on what each county is allowed to add to them.

Speeding in school zones and construction zones and the fine can be doubled.

Speed through a school zone or construction zone and go to court to try to get out of it and you could end up paying $1,000.00.

They were talking about making the MINIMUM fine for 50 mph and over at $1,000.00 for first offense, $5,000.00 for second offense. Not sure if they ever passed that, though. That was in response to those motorcycles who would race down the interstate on their rear wheel with their front wheel in the air, but had to tone it down to include all types of vehicles because the law was not allowed to selectively pick out just motorcycles, so instead of just lifting the front wheels off the ground (which was still going to be in there) the speed was going to be 50 mph over the limit.

Being as I do not have any intention of driving with my front wheels off the ground or driving 50 over any more (yeah, I used to years ago, actually have driven 85 over on the interstates in years past) ... but there was no need for me to track those laws and see if they passed as I have no need or intention of driving that fast now.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You know, I depend on people knowing what I do so they can call me and give me money to work for them so I can put food on the table.

I have signs on my van and, because I ask people where they got my name, I know I get calls from it. I throw my "commercial feces" anywhere I can find to throw it (economically), including the back of my shirt. (You wouldn't believe how many conversations that started from seeing people reading the back of my shirt while standing in line lead to an inspection or radon test, i.e. money for food on the table).

I eat. I'm not complaining about a "business slow down". People know who I am and what I do.

If you're worried about getting calls chewing you out about your bad driving, perhaps you should become a better driver instead of losing work. You DO want to feed your family, don't you?

Yeah, I've gotten one or two calls, especially since my business number is my cell phone. I just tell em: "Send me a letter about it so I have documentation and then I'll fire the sumbitch!" Haven't gotten a letter yet but there's only been two calls that I can remember.

There are about 100 (so called) inspectors at any given time in my metropolitan area. Care to guess how many make a full time living at it instead of whining about not getting any business. I know of about 10.

A prostitute sells sex. I sell home inspections.

If no one knows what you do, no one calls you! I let everybody I meet, and a few I don't, know what I do to put food on the table.

I like to eat.

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

I agree with Erby.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Tom King Guest

I agree with Erby too.

Is Mr. Miller always so mean errr argumentative errr errrr vocal about his opinion on everything???

Eric Russell Guest

I've got 2 magnetics for both sides of my truck, but I'm considering getting the rear window lettered. I always ask my client, or for that matter, anyone who calls and checks price, where they heard about me. I've heard "your website," "your yellow book ad," "my realtor," "a friend," but no one has ever said anything about my signage. Still, I've been approached by nosy neighbors and cops asking what I was doing, when I didn't have the signs on, but never with them. I'm pretty sure in TN ya gotta have commercial tags to have signs, and if you're driving a commercial vehicle, then ya better have commercial insurance. Just some things to consider.

Eric,

You make a good point. If your conducting business out of a vehicle and you don't have commercial coverage on it, your sitting yourself up for a nice lawsuit if your ever in a accident.

As far as the signage lets see. I booked my third inspection for a client who contacted me from the signage on my truck. (2) of the inspections have not worked out for her best interest so now she's booked a third.

1K+ $$$ all from a client who saw my signage. Yeah, I can say signage has paid for itself.

As far as the nosey neighbor, they still come over and ask if know anything about the buyers. I like to tell them that I heard its going to be a "halfway" home for drug addicts or abused women. The look on their face is priceless.

rick

Eric Russell Guest

As far as the nosey neighbor, they still come over and ask if know anything about the buyers. I like to tell them that I heard its going to be a "halfway" home for drug addicts or abused women. The look on their face is priceless.

I'll give that a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    As far as the signage lets see. I booked my third inspection for a client who contacted me from the signage on my truck. (2) of the inspections have not worked out for her best interest so now she's booked a third.

1K+ $$$ all from a client who saw my signage. Yeah, I can say signage has paid for itself.

rick
    That's some pretty valuable commercial feces ya got there Rick.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    I agree with Erby too.

Is Mr. Miller always so mean errr argumentative errr errrr vocal about his opinion on everything???
    TK: I believe that argumentation is a positive term and not negative as you might have us believe. Perspicuous argumentation is a virtue and not a vice.

Michael Schirmer Guest

Over the last 15 years I've gone both ways (not in the prostitute scenario).
    I don't think it's made a big difference business-wise either way as far as getting work. I go without now because of liability issues - I do dart in and out of traffic and speed when late for an inspection - and prefer to be just another anonymous A-hole driver not being associated with a business name.

I've had good luck with a pidplate of just my website. Looks classy on the back of my truck and is only really noticeable when I'm parked or someone is following me. People love to check out websites.
    https://www.pidplates.us/html/main.en.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Rick,

...I have slowed down, rarely go over 10 over the limit now, usually much closer to the limit, and in residential areas I keep it under 5 over and usually right near the speed limit.

...Being as I do not have any intention of driving with my front wheels off the ground or driving 50 over any more (yeah, I used to years ago, actually have driven 85 over on the interstates in years past) ... but there was no need for me to track those laws and see if they passed as I have no need or intention of driving that fast now.
    Wow, I gotta say for someone who really knows the code and presumably follows it, the law used to just get in your way, huh?

OK, you can slam me now, but I couldn't resist.

For me personally, I have 2 magnetic signs and I would take them off in the evenings (when I remembered). After about 3 years, I realized that I had only 4 calls because of the signs and only one of the people booked an inspection (paid for the signs). So, for now, the signs are on the freezer in the garage b/c I'm tired of taking them off

I REALLY like the vehicle wraps or partial wraps, but I probably won't get one.

Regarding the commercial insurance mini-thread: I have my truck listed on my personal policy; however, it is listed as a business vehicle and I pay a business premium.

Bruce

Last edited by JB Thompson; 01-18-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: not finished
    Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Eric,

You make a good point. If your conducting business out of a vehicle and you don't have commercial coverage on it, your sitting yourself up for a nice lawsuit if your ever in a accident.

rick
    Rick,

All I can say is: "you're awesome"! I wish my signs had been that productive.

Maybe somebody has had better luck with them but I had the magnetic signs when I first started. The only calls I got were from guys who saw the signs on my car and called asking about how nthey could become a home inspector. BUT..........one guy who saw the signs when I was in a convenience store parking lot asked for my card. A year or more later, I got a call from his daughter who said "My Dad said he met you on an inspection and that I had to get you to inspect our house". ????????????? OK.

The house ended up being 7,000+ sq ft and I did both a predrywall and full inspection before settlement. I think I got $1,000 for those two jobs which were cake because the builder was meticulous. However, I never replaced the signs after they got faded and crappy looking because I didn't want to mess the paint up on my new car and I didn't want to letter my personal vehicle up.

(bold and underlining are mine)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Wow, I gotta say for someone who really knows the code and presumably follows it, the law used to just get in your way, huh?
    Speed limit wise ... yeah, it sure USED TO ...

(note the "past tense" there )

Nothing like driving almost triple the speed limit ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

When you don't do much realtor soliciting, you use what you can. For me the signs pay off. Just make sure you get one on the back of your vehicle. That's when most people read it. Stopped behind you, readily visible in a parking lot, etc.

To each their own. Mine works for me.

To old to be a gigolo anymore!

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Dan Kuznitsky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Ramsey View Post
    I actually have a similar question even though this is an old post, I figured why start a whole new post.
    Does anyone in Vegas know the laws regarding vehicle signage? Can I put vinyl lettering on the rear window of my personal vehicle to advertise my business and not catch any flak from LVMPD?

Don't know the laws at your location but here in Dallas area you can put the vinyl over the rear windows if the vinyl has the small perforated holes in it.

I had it for awhile on my rear window and actually removed it as I thought it was too hazardous.

rick

Dan Kuznitsky Guest

Don't know the laws at your location but here in Dallas area you can put the vinyl over the rear windows if the vinyl has the small perforated holes in it.

I had it for awhile on my rear window and actually removed it as I thought it was too hazardous.

rick
    Thanks Rick. I'm thinking that I'd like to use lettering instead of a full window screen, and I've seen cars on the road with business adverts but never thought to see if the plates were commercial.

I'm sure this will offend some... oh well.

I get a kick out of the vehicles I see *inspectors* drive. Recently (to my dismay of course) the house next door to me was being inspected by someone else. They pull up in a *non-work* looking vehicle... and away they went!!

A fold up ladder (I'm scared of them...) a *small* bag of tools and that's it!!

Or..

I'll see someone with a 4 door car and a ladder strapped on top of it.. those are the best for me, I look at that and think

"Last month you were a Retail Clerk, this month a Home Inspector... yeah!!!"

I'm old fashioned, but -

1. I drive a *truck*
    2. I have *several ladders*
    3. I have a *tool box with stuff*
    4. I'm equipped!

I was gonna change to some degree, but my son showed me a video of someone using a "compacting" type ladder (you know the type), it was a *Sales Pitch* / infomercial and the thing collapsed right on TV... YUCK! I'll pass!

I just wonder what home inspectors and the public think of someone who pulls up in the family cruiser. Does that portray someone committed to their trade?

Someone was looking thru photos on my camera and snapped a pic

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Spargo View Post

I get a kick out of the vehicles I see *inspectors* drive. Recently (to my dismay of course) the house next door to me was being inspected by someone else. They pull up in a *non-work* looking vehicle... and away they went!!

Or..

I'll see someone with a 4 door car and a ladder strapped on top of it.. those are the best for me, I look at that and think

I'm old fashioned, but -

1. I drive a *truck*
    4. I'm equipped!

I was gonna change to some degree, but my son showed me a video of someone using a "compacting" type ladder (you know the type), it was a *Sales Pitch* / infomercial and the thing collapsed right on TV... YUCK! I'll pass!

I just wonder what home inspectors and the public think of someone who pulls up in the family cruiser. Does that portray someone committed to their trade?

I agree. I know everyone's different and has their own preferences, wants and needs. IMHO, a truck or work van appears more professional than a Scion XB.

I also carry multiple ladders with one of them being a telescoping ladder (Xtend and Climb). It comes handy in tight closets. Now I do have a healthy fear of it and because of that video and other forums, I check each locking device and climb slowly checking each rung.

I drive a 97 Toyota T100 truck with a shell. No signs.
    I do have to take exception to the "have to have a truck with big ass ladders" to prove I'm serious.
    While I do have a lot of crap in the back of my truck, I don't need a lot of it to do a great inspection. My 17' Little Giant is fine for just about every building I inspect. The tools I need to do my work would fit in a medium size tool bag.
    I once had to use my daughters Lexus for a day. The ladder fit in the back seat and all my gear fit in the trunk just fine.

As far as image goes, I think showing up in a Lexus took me up a notch from my 13 year old truck.

Since I wasn't hired to WORK on the house, I don't see the need to show up with a F350 with a slew of ladders and a bunch of tool boxes attached. I'm a professional home inspector, NOT a Tradesman, and I charge fees appropriate for a Professional. I don't want to portray myself as a Tradesman that is taking off early from a construction job to do the inspection.

But that's just my opinion.

To each his own. I have had signs and no signs. I've had full size trucks with long friggin extension ladders, a van, a couple of small trucks with and without a shell and now drive a Scion xb with signs all over it. The Scion holds more tools and all the ladders I need. The Scion is the easiest vehicle I have ever worked out of and gets the best mileage but the reason I got it was to get folks to remember me, just a hook to hang a memory on.

One of these days I'll likely go back to a full size truck just because I like to drive a truck but I don't NEED one to inspect out of nor to prove anything. If you need a truck to bolster your rep, go for it.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Dan Kuznitsky Guest

Wink Re: Inspection vehicle signage

Or..

I'm old fashioned, but -

1. I drive a *truck*
    4. I'm equipped!

If it was me, I'd say someone that used the family car to drive to a scheduled inspection and made it on time, wrote my report, and made time to explain it to me was the guy that I hired to do the next inspection I needed.
    Personally I don't care if somebody showed up on a bicycle with a rope ladder tied around his/her waist, with tools in a zip lock baggie as long as the work was correct when he/she left.

Here's one of my favorites.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    ...and now drive a Scion xb with signs all over....

oops!

oops!
    LOL.

For what it's worth..nothing to prove for me, I just like a *real* ladder under my feet. I've tried the folding/extending DIY type .... they scare me.

It's a hard argument to win, if it's one that you claim it makes no difference in impression as to what we show up in. I would beg to differ.

Regarding my telescoping ladder...I only use it when my other ladder will be too cumbersome or do damage to the interior. I do have a healthy fear of it.

My other ladder is a Werner articulating ladder. It too has my attention, but it is my main ladder. I've got a truck with a shell on it (I have a love/hate relationship with that shell). The only way I can use my extension ladder is to have the shell's door open and strapped down. With the Werner, I can at least lock up the back.

I carry a Werner multi-purpose inside the vehicle (clean and secure) all the time which gets me on most 2-story houses around here and sets up as a 7' A-frame to a 15' extension.
    If I see I will need it, I throw the Little Giant on the top rack which goes to a 13' A-frame or extends to 23' and rated for 300lbs.
    I don't know of a sturdier ladder on the market.
    I don't use the Extend-n-Climb type ladders.
    I had an articulating ladder years ago but found it was just a pain to use.
    I ditched it after I got the Werner which was much more versatile.

I have found with these two ladders I can get to any roof easier and safer than a half dozen conventional ladders.
    My only complaint is the weight of the M-26 which weighs in at 54 lbs and can be a handful in confined spaces.
    But it would take a 28' standard extension ladder to reach the same height which would weigh 56lbs for one rated for 300lbs.

95% of my jobs are done easily and safely with one light weight ladder.
    I have had only one job on a 3-story condo with straight sides that I could not reach with my ladders.
    Why would I or anyone need a truck full of ladders to do inspections?

Painter or roofer, maybe you need half a dozen ladders or maybe they just need one or two good ones.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

LOL.

For what it's worth..nothing to prove for me, I just like a *real* ladder under my feet. I've tried the folding/extending DIY type .... they scare me.

It's a hard argument to win, if it's one that you claim it makes no difference in impression as to what we show up in. I would beg to differ.
    I think the difference is looking professional or looking macho. Macho does not pay the bills, professional does.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I think the difference is looking professional or looking macho. Macho does not pay the bills, professional does.
    Jim. Nice looking ride! Your vehicle *is* a far cry from the *example* of the family-vehicle-convert that I was referring to! I'm sure you knew that, you just wanted to show off! That vehicle indicates that your professionalism, for sure!

I'll disagree on the ladders, as I said, it's a preference!

I see Jim's truck all over the place. It is eye catching and always in a clean condition. His company name pops out at you and thats whats drives the business toward one.

I actually driven by it while he's on an inspection and thought about picking up and turning it sideways upon the sidewalk for laughs but Jim is a good ole boy so I leave him be.

rick

In the 5 years I drove around with signs on my truck I got one (1) customer from it. Of course in my case the signs were free (my sister has a graphics arts company). If I had to pay for the signs I would say that they weren't worth it.

A.D., I mean, Elliot, must be on vacation.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

John, he's taking a break from all the commercial feces.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Here in New York state, a couple of mag signs will allow you to retain a non-commercial plate, used of fixed lettering is on the ragged edge although I see it done all the time.
    Oddly, for a small pick-up, the cost of the commercial plate was slightly less.

Also, my auto insurance co. has a 'business use' notation on the policy.

In Downstate N.Y., just north of "The City", there are many 'parkways' - limited access roads that were built during the depression days. Commercially tagged vehicles are excluded from most which can severely limit your getting to a customer conveniently.

And Jim's XB... PERFECT, nice job on it! Now all that's needed is some airbrushing of thin black lines to make it look like it's built from LEGOs.
    I've always thought that to be the case and have wanted to see one done up that way ever since they came out. ;-)

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by stanley labinsky View Post
    And Jim's XB... PERFECT, nice job on it! Now all that's needed is some airbrushing of thin black lines to make it look like it's built from LEGOs.
    I've always thought that to be the case and have wanted to see one done up that way ever since they came out. ;-)

Stan
    I call it the X-Box or just my little rolling bill board.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by David Edenburn View Post
    In the 5 years I drove around with signs on my truck I got one (1) customer from it. ... If I had to pay for the signs I would say that they weren't worth it.
    Same thing happened to me. One call in 4 yrs, but I paid for my signs.

Jim's car is definitely eye-catching; looks good. Do you ask everyone who calls how they found you and if it was because of the car? Just curious.

Same thing happened to me. One call in 4 yrs, but I paid for my signs.

Jim's car is definitely eye-catching; looks good. Do you ask everyone who calls how they found you and if it was because of the car? Just curious.
    Yes, I try to find out how they found me. I know of at least one that got me strictly off of the car signage, that paid for the lettering. But I can't count the number of folks that have recognized me as a familiar inspector when I hand them my card with a picture of the Scion on front and the little light comes on and they say "oh, your the guy that drives that little box/car/truck".
    In my view it is all a part of an overall marketing package. I have the car, cards, and website all tied together with the same theme. When I started over after moving to the city, I needed a hook to get people attention and in 2005 when gas was $4 a gallon, that was the hook. Plus, I get good mpg.
    I figure I can make a case for 100% of my mileage as deductible since I am advertising everywhere I go.
    Down side is you have got to drive civilly.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

You can't only go by the calls that are generated directly from your window decal, but think of it as advertising. If you are covering the same general area, as I do, then you are getting your name out there. If People are seeing your name and logo here and there for a couple years it can help you when they buy a home and go to talk to their realtor. When they are handed a list of names or are surfing the net to find an inspector in the area, your name comes up and they recognize your name. It may not go down as a direct link, but it is Marketing 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Belverstone View Post
    You can't only go by the calls that are generated directly from your window decal, but think of it as advertising. If you are covering the same general area, as I do, then you are getting your name out there. If People are seeing your name and logo here and there for a couple years it can help you when they buy a home and go to talk to their realtor. When they are handed a list of names or are surfing the net to find an inspector in the area, your name comes up and they recognize your name. It may not go down as a direct link, but it is Marketing 101.
    Yep. I agree. A good reason to drive politely also

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

I know there are multiple thoughts on this; however, my insurance guy told me that certain people believe businesses can afford to be in a wreck. He said he's had several businessmen clients who were involved in a wreck and that the advertising basically says "Hit this truck and you can win the lottery". Obviously this isn't true for most of our citizenry, but food for thought.

I chose to keep my mag signs against his advice, then ultimately took them off b/c I had had only one call in 4 yrs or so.

I do have a thing for these car wraps and have thought about doing some print that would be easily recognizable, much like Jim's (actually I was think zebra stripes)

Hi, ALL &

Don B.'s story (& others') reminds me of a recent situation - an actual 'Black Escalade' trying to speed-past a long line of traffic in the slow lane & I'm right ahead, gradually moving past 'em but being reasonable with my speed.

I could just imagine that driver's emotional state, as he couldn't do his thing...

I also have the displayed (rear window signage) biz number calling-forward to my cell & it eventually rang & I answered as if sitting in my office. He said nothing, just stayed on my tail, getting more frustrated. His cell number was visible with call-display & I acted as if I was in an office setting, calling-out "...does anyone know this number...?" & saying "I KNOW you can hear me, but I just cannot hear you /help you if you won't speak..." Also added-in a comment ("...anyone happen to know when 'vehicle #1' is due back [the one I'm driving]..." Then decided to state "...well, I guess we'll just try calling this number back early tomorrow morning - say 0700 or so, when we re-open !"

Just 'stood my ground' & maintained "course and speed", so to speak; after a good while (while enjoying the thought of this character being JOLTED awake pre-dawn) I was far enough ahead of the long line of traffic in the adjacent lane & could VERY gradually change lanes & blew by me doing at least 150 & was "gone' in a few seconds !!!

Another 'cop' situation (reminded by a post way-back), I found myself stopped at a light, turning left at a major highway intersection in late-afternoon Rush-Hour traffic, which I'm not used to & got 'squeezed' out into the centre, but there was no room to proceed & I was blocked from any attempt to back up, also. The light then turns RED & those ahead S-L-O-W-L-Y move through; I can only follow them, but very late & I must say those coming through the other way were very understanding...

Shortly, my phone rings & 'caller' asks if this was 'Glenn' (again -from my vehicle signage) ? "Yes..." "I'm a police officer and you 'ran' a red light back @ that intersection, correct...?"

I 'plead guilty', but did explain my very awkward situation & my attempt to play it as safe as I could, but then stated "...if you HAVE to pull me over & Ticket me, as I realize I did what you've described, please just let me know & I'll do so right now..."

He replied "Hmmm - can see your side of things now; just be more careful..."

Makes one wonder what makes some folks 'tick' !

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Hi Markus, actually it's rear-window only. I get 2-3 jobs a year from it, and it's garaged except when I'm on the road. First one paid for the signage, and in this economy, every little bit helps.
    Are you counting payment for Plates and parking tickets for having B Plates on residential streets or loss of time not using Blvds and LSD as mentioned above?.

I've booked 2 calls for this next week from signage on my truck. One came from someone sitting behind me in the bank drive-thru.

The other one was from a realtor that flagged me down at a traffic light.

Thats (2) I wouldn't have if not for the signs. You do the math.

rick

Dan Kuznitsky Guest

I've booked 2 calls for this next week from signage on my truck. One came from someone sitting behind me in the bank drive-thru.

rick
    Found the answers I was looking for....... Ironically from an inspector who was on his way to a job(pulled his number from the vinyl lettering on his truck while on the road) who pretty much stated that since his business is based out of his house, he did NOT need commercial plates on his truck to have the "signage".

All I know is that if doing that gets ME even one call that turns into an appointment, it's worth it.

rick
    May depend on your locale.
    In Chicago I have never once seen a "Plumber truck" and thought I should write down the number in traffic
    In Chicago most do not even use a Inspector.
    Many use Agent or friend referral and the rest have good internet access.
    They normally get 5 days to have an inspection done so what are the odds someone just signed a purchase agreement as your vehicle rolls by.

My thinking is this type branding works best in small town america.
    Still if you get a good deal and use more than a cheap magnetic sign screaming P/T "what the heck" give it a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast