Jon mackay Guest

Default Issue at rim joist over basement window

Ok so there was a draft at the basement, I look above the window and there is a nice gap at the rim joist. I attached a couple of pictures from inside and out.

The big question is.... Is this a huge issue or can they simply re frame the area with a gap?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

chris mcintyre Guest

Default Re: Issue at rim joist over basement window

John,

I have looked and looked at the pictures and I can't quiet figure out exactly what is what.

It appears that the floor is cantilevered over the basement wall, I can see this in the 1rst and 2nd pics. It appears that you can see the piece of siding with snow on it over the window well in the 3rd pic.

But if this was right you would see the ends of the floor joist in the first pic. Any more pictures? or can you give us a few more details?

A.D. Miller Guest

If I am seeing these photos correctly, it appears that the sill plate, rim joist and subfloor are cantilevered over the foundation edge. If this is the case, then in order to be code-compliant, foundation augmentation is the only answer to this.

Jon mackay Guest

It is only over the basement window that there is a gap but it does seem that the joists are hanging over too much.
    It is a superior wall system. I attached a picture showing where the interior pictures are from.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Jon mackay Guest

The rim joist is basically overshooting the sill area and therefore exposing the exterior elements at the window opening.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    It appears that the floor is cantilevered over the basement wall, I can see this in the 1rst and 2nd pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    If I am seeing these photos correctly, it appears that the sill plate, rim joist and subfloor are cantilevered over the foundation edge.
    With nothing to use for size reference (other than the dryer exhaust hood) it looks like: a) the sill plate is overhanging the foundation wall below; b) something is nailed to the edge of sill plate, looks to be two 1x pieces with a scrap of 1x under part of it; c) the bottom edge of the rim joist; d) and down over the window area the two 1x pieces bow inward leaving the gap you are seeing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jon mackay Guest

That is accurate Jerry.

I'm not sure if this is something that is going to cause any additional problems or if it just needs to be sealed up.

Any thoughts?

Jon,

The sill plate looks to continue straight across the top of the window, so all I can think of is that one of the 1x pieces were not installed across the top of the window, allowing the outer 1x piece to bow inward, leaving the gap.

I would also be concerned about the lack of a header above the window where one floor joist bears as there is nothing to support the sill plate there. The sill plate could easily sag and bow/bind the window.

How old is the house and is there an emergency egress window from the basement (or a walkout door)?

As Aaron pointed out, I would also be concerned about the sill plate overhanging the foundation wall by that much (how much and how thick the foundation wall is I have no idea - but laying a board with its grain parallel with the support under it is just asking for the board to split where it overhangs its support).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Also the windows are up against the joist which means there is not a header, so the joist over the windows are being carried by the rim joist and not supported by the foundation wall and therefore should have hangers.

Never mind, I see Jerry beat me to it.

Last edited by chris mcintyre; 01-17-2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Slow at typing.

Jon mackay Guest

OK, That is what I was thinking. I was going to recommend local reinforcements at the window area. This should not be too complicated of a repair. Its a shame that it needs to be repaired at all.

The house is 10 years old and there is no egress from the basement.

Jon mackay Guest

Hmmm. I have been looking at this all morning and it just doesn't add up.

I attached another view from the exterior, you can see the joists above the basement window well. It looks like their is a strip of plywood installed to cover a gap between the rim joist and the interior which means that none of the rim joist is resting on the foundation.

So that being the case, would extensive repairs be needed? I have never seen this happen so I am very nervous on reporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon mackay View Post
    This should not be too complicated of a repair.

Except that there is no room for a repair.

The repair would need to be in front of the top of the window, which would greatly restrict the light from the window and likely the operation of the window.

Let's presume that a double 2x4 SYP would work for the header, it would need to be supported on double 2x4 SYP on each side of the window, and would block the top 3-1/2" of the window, and that depends on if that is one floor and roof, might need to be a 2x6 if there were two floors above it (would need to look in the table, but you can look that up too ).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jon mackay Guest

Yes, after looking at everything more, I have decided to recommend that it be repaired by a structural contractor.
    I am not qualified to tell them that it can't be repaired or how to repair it.

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.