Thread: Code Help

Matt Hawley Guest

Default Code Help

Can someone tell me where to look in the 2006 IRC for info on securing down spouts to the home.

The home I inspected today had a down spout from the second story roof to ground level and was only attched at two points, one near the top and one near the bottom, nothing in the middle.

It just seams that it should be strapped in the middle as well.

Thanks again

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

David Banks Guest

Default Re: Code Help

I know of no code. More likely manufacturer installation requirement.

Matt Hawley Guest

I cant find it anywhere. I will look for some online downspout installation instructions.

Thanks Dave.

Jim Hime Guest

You don't need a code to write up a repair that you feel is justified. Let the buyer decide. At least you are concerned enough to inform them and I agree with you. Always go with your gut feeling. Sometimes a buyer just has to realize that not everything is codified. If they don't, you don't need them as a client.

However if you are in a 110 mph or greater wind speed area like I am then IRC R301.2.1.1 covers just about everything. Along the 14 coastal counties in Texas
    everything is an engineered design with enforcement by the Texas Dept. of Insurance. TDI doesn't like anything that can come loose and become airborne debris. These areas have gone hurricane crazy after Katrina/Rita. Too bad it took a storm to make builders do what they should have done all along.

Other than that - gutter manufacturer (aka: IRC R102.4)

Matt Hawley Guest

Jim,

You are absolutely correct. I wrote it up as the NE downspout does not appear to be adequately secured to the home and is highly susceptible to damage in the event of high winds.

This is a warranty inspection and this builder usually asks for a code reference. Common sense will hopefully come into play. It seems like a very long run to only be attached at two points.

Thanks for the input

Sorry, common sense is not so common, especially with some builders.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Matt,
    If he questions you, show him. There's a junction about four feet down from the top. I dont see a band on it and I don't see any brace. Put your ladder up and grab a few feet below that junction. Push either direction.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Matt,

Forget the IRC, you need the Florida Building Code set, the 2004 FRC (Florida Residential Code) if newer construction.

According to Figure 301.2(4), Melbourne is either in a 120 mph wind zone or a 130 mph wind zone (I'm guessing its on the 120 mph side of the line).

There is a section which refers to gutters in the RAS (Roofing Application Standards) section, RAS 111.

- 12. Gutters
    - - 12.1 Gutters, down spouts, and hold down components shall be secured to resist the load of gravity when full with rainwater in addition to the design wind loads of Chapter 16 (High-Velocity Hurricane Zones) of the Florida Building Code, Building.
    - - 12.2 Gutters, and down spouts, shall be sized in compliance with Chapter 11 of the Florida Building Code, Plumbing.
    - - 12.3 Gutters, down spouts, and hold down components shall be constructed in accordance with the Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors National Association, Inc. (SMACNA) Architectural Sheet Metal Manual, 5th edition. In addition to the following requirements:
    - - - 12.3.1 Gutter joints shall be lapped 4 in. sealed with two rows of approved sealant, and riveted with two rows of closed end rivets offset 1 in. o.c.
    - - - 12.3.2 Maximum gutter lengths shall not exceed 50-ft. Gutter ends shall not be butted tight to a wall or other obstruction, which may prevent thermal expansion of metal.

Not real helpful if you do not have that manual. (I don't.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Matt Hawley Guest

Thanks Jerry and everyone else for your input.

Just make up a code number... they'll never know. I don't think most builders own a code book.