daniel nantell Guest

Default Re: re; Oldest Home Inspectors still climbing roofs .l

The company I came to work for about 10 years ago (and eventually bought) had a couple older inspectors that retired around 65. Between the roofs and crawl spaces it just gets to be too much. And both guys I'm thinking of were in exceptional health for their age. It seems somewhere between 50 and 60 there's a big reduction in what you're able to do. I still have a couple decades before I'm there so I'll let you know

I am 52 and so far having no issues other than weight gain.
    The key is to keep your weight down and stay in good shape.

I spent years climbing up and down ladders for both the phone and cable companies.

So far my biggest issue is the bad idea of switching to a multi ladder that fits into my Kia Sportage.

A good 28 foot fiberglass Warner ladder with hooks and claw feet will extend your life span ,if working in a cold climate where ice can cause the ladder to slip out from under you.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    Just out of curiosity whats the oldest H.I. still climbing roofs and crawlspaces. Those 2nd story roofs probably look pretty high after 65 , ha ha.
    At 61, I don't have any problem climbing roofs or going thru crawlspaces.
    As noted, the key is to keep the weight down and stay in shape. With the current market here in Michigan, I have plenty of time to go to the Y and to the ski slopes!!

Gary Bottomley
    Cadillac, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bottomley View Post
    At 61, I don't have any problem climbing roofs or going thru crawlspaces.
    As noted, the key is to keep the weight down and stay in shape. With the current market here in Michigan, I have plenty of time to go to the Y and to the ski slopes!!
    Glad to hear that gary.(except the market part)

Now I know I need to go take a long walk before I sit back down to fill out these commercial forms.

I think we both know experience is more important than youth.

We thought we knew it all back then (haha).
    Some of these guys are in for a shock.

A.D. Miller Guest

I am 58 and still climbing and crawling like I was when I was 38. I must disagree with MF's assessment "It seems somewhere between 50 and 60 there's a big reduction in what you're able to do." If this reduction occurs, it starts first between the ears in a marked reduction of what one believes he can or cannot do.

Leigh Goodman Guest

I am 63. Weigh about five pounds more than at h.s. graduation. (155 now)
    I can climb, crawl, shinny and jump as well as I could twenty years ago.
    My secret- I think I'm still thirty years old.

les van alstine Guest

I will never see 65 again. Still climb around on nearly every roof. Run from basement to second floor and back to first floor 3-4times per inspection.

Been shot five times, thrown off tall buildings, chased by irate husbands (& stricken wifes) and, as many on this board will attest to, have not changed much in past 20yrs!

les
    mid-michigan

Last edited by les van alstine; 01-22-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spell

When I sold my company I was 67, still getting on roof's and into crawls that most youngers would not attempt. I can't do inspections for another year and a half when I will be 73, but I am still in good enough condition to continue roofing and crawling should the urge become overwhelming.

OK, so I retired from performing real estate inspections full time in 1998, but I still mount roof tops and crawl under buildings in my legal EW work and next month I'll be 79. The dexterity and balance isn’t what it used to be, but I still work out many mornings at my health club and walk a lot. Also, a couple of glasses of good pinot noir every night before/ with dinner helps.
    As the writer Ogden Nash once said, “It’s a pity youth is wasted on the young.”

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

63, and still (occasionally) using a 32" ladder single handed - I stop at the "Y" most every weekday after dropping my wife off the train and come from a long lived family, my father built us a room full of furniture two years before he died at 94, and at 92 my mother still drives occasionally. I realize, though, that no amount of exercise can cook the books forever - I'm thinking of "retiring" from HI at 67 if I can make it that far, and from moisture intrusion and IR at 75, if I can make it *that* far.

Meanwhile, I still keep getting better and better, gaining experience every day.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

My father (rest his soul) wasn't a home inspector, he was a contractor.
    At age 70, he was climbing roofs-
    ah, I think I need to mention he wasn't pussyfooting with these aluminum ladders either; he was working with the old wooded ladders.

By the time he turned 55, he couldn't handle the 42 footer anymore, but he still had the 36 footer he would handle by himself when he had to.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

[quote=Michael Thomas;118000]63, and still (occasionally) using a 32" ladder single handed -

i am 58 and still climb roofs and do crawls. i have a lumber mill and run a logging operation for fun.use it or lose it as they say,
    michael,
    i don't think i would brag about using a 32" ladder, maybe a 48" ladder but 32"s come on!

Damn, Leigh.

You don't look or act that old. Here I thought you were in your late 40's.

Wow!

-

Last edited by Erby Crofutt; 01-30-2010 at 06:39 AM.
    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

I climbed up on 4 roofs today, two were two story in height - extension ladder all the way ... (of course, though, the roofer supplied the ladders, I did not have to handle them )

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tim Lane Guest

Not sure I can compete with all these stories...but I am soon to be 60 and in the last three years have had a hip and knee replaced...on opposite sides. Still going on roofs barring snow and ice. Have learned to crawl in a three point position to stay off the artificial knee cap. I have no intention of quiting in the next 5 years that is for sure. 5 weeks after my hip replacement...back to roofs and crawl spaces. About 9 weeks for the knee to be ready to safely tackle a ladder. Use it or loose it!

I'm so old, when I was a kid, a small Coke cost 7 cents, 2 cents for the bottle.
    I thought I had a bad knee a few years back, but when I gave up timber cruising and laying out logging roads, my knee got better.
    Home inspection is a piece of cake.

I am 87 (look 82 I have been told), and I still climb roofs, but I now I use a ladder. Before I turned 80 I just scaled the wall and swung myself up, now a ladder is easier. I also climb down the ladder. When I turned 80 I decided to stop jumping off roofs, figuring a ladder would be easier on me to get down. Anyway my 2 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    I am 87 (look 82 I have been told), and I still climb roofs, but I now I use a ladder. Before I turned 80 I just scaled the wall and swung myself up, now a ladder is easier. I also climb down the ladder. When I turned 80 I decided to stop jumping off roofs, figuring a ladder would be easier on me to get down. Anyway my 2 cents worth.
    Thats encouraging. I may have another 30 years left in this profession.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

At 53 I will not go on any roof that is not accessible with my 10' ladder or I feel is not worth risk.

I often wonder how the heavy set inspectors manage to access attic areas through some of the small hatches I come across. Of course my sleek Panther like body permits me access where other dare not tread.

daniel nantell Guest

I am 50 and been told I look like Im 80 , probably from the good life Ive lead, I don't use ladders, I use a block and tackle with remote control on my power winch .

daniel nantell Guest

Its amazing the different ladders different Inspectors carry, some carry 36 foot ladders and other carry 10 foot ladders, kinda makes you wonder .

Believe it or not Ive see inspectors with no ladders at all. If their only going to be at the inspection 20 min. it takes too long to unload it. They got to get those 8 or 10 a day done, so they will be on time to pick up the kids from school.

I don't have any kids.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

I am 87 (look 82 I have been told) ...

I'll have to say: "Well preserved"

Gene is also a licensed RE-Agent.

http://localism.com/blog/tx/posts/11...ht-On-McKinney

James Hanna Guest

At almost 64, I am still able to climb and crawl pretty well.
    I just recently retired and dissolved my Home Inspection business here in Rochester, NY.
    I will admit that I don't miss going on roofs, especially the steeper ones.

James Hanna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
    Believe it or not Ive see inspectors with no ladders at all. If their only going to be at the inspection 20 min. it takes too long to unload it. They got to get those 8 or 10 a day done, so they will be on time to pick up the kids from school.

I don't have any kids.
    I hope those inspectors without ladders noted in their report that they did not go on the roof.

Tom Camp Guest

I'm almost 60 now but stay in shape. For 28 years I was a Commercial Superintendent and found my self getting out of shape. About six years ago I started running, I now run about 24 miles a week bike and work out on my Total Gym in-between. You have to stay in shape or you will get "OLD". I plan to be climbing in roofs for many more years and I believe staying in shape is the key.

Colorado Springs - Home Inspections, Commercial Inspections, Radon Inspections, Mold Inspections
    Inspections Done Right

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

Sorry for the late come back.

87 looking like 81......Do you care anymore or was that a funny. I think anyone with the fortitude to make it past 80 should be handed a check book to live the rest of time. Hopefull (by the sounds of it you will) you will be one of those 105 years young folks still kicking and screaming. Congrats Gene. I want to be one of those old and crusty young men of 105 to 110 or better. I have seen a lot in my life as far as advances. What you have seen since your birth has been the most advancement man had made for the previous 10,000 years before that. I find that amazing. And they wonder why so many have not been able to absorb it all.

I am 56 this month and some say I still look 55 Hopefully the spread will get bigger the older I get.

The main difference for me now is that I will admit there are some I won't climb. I finally figured out that getting up is the easy part.

As to how "heayset", what a nice euphamism, guys get through the attic hatches, I can testify. I stopped smoking 2.5 years ago and gained 65 pound in 10 months. I've lost 20, but the rest is more stubborn. As long as my shoulders can make it, the rest will follow. Tools go up first. It's not easy, but it's worth it to hear someone say, "If I hadn't seen the pictures I wouldn't have believed you fit through there."

I will admit, it will be nice when the day comes that I no longer imagine my poor ladder saying, "please, God, not again."

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Stephen Atchison Guest

Smile Re: re; Oldest Home Inspectors still climbing roofs .l

I have learned When Walking a Roof, its starts with first things first, preparation to secure that ladder for going and coming back down is key. Walking the roof, must never to be considered a cake walk, but foremost keep safety in mind, with preparation in order, no matter what age, if the gang plank is not secured, personnel injurys are more likely than not, and happen due to lack thereof.

My walking the roof is determined through safety considerations. Walk only when its safe to do so, and when a defect seen from the ground needs to be verified. Otherwise if you have an uneasy gut feeling its not safe, dont go, as my last option; recommend a roof inspection contractor to verify roofing concerns noted by me the inspector is a normal recommendation.

But if you must walk as a minimum:
    Number one-check inside the attic arreas prior to walking the roof for structural integrity.
    Number two-secure the ladder at the bottom from moving, and again secure it at the top where the ladder makes roof contact.
    Number three-make sure someone is watching you if possible.
    Number four-plan an escape route (a place to fall)