Default condensate drain requirements

Look at the attached clip from the 2006 IRC. Can I take this as meaning that a float switch is suitable in lieu of a secondary drain line on an aux pan? Meaning that, if you have the correctly installed float switch, you do not need a second drain line.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: condensate drain requirements

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Look at the attached clip from the 2006 IRC. Can I take this as meaning that a float switch is suitable in lieu of a secondary drain line on an aux pan? Meaning that, if you have the correctly installed float switch, you do not need a second drain line.
    John,

When they really want to screw things up big time for the homeowner (and they do it all the time all over Florida, where you would think they would know better) then, yes, that is allowed - a secondary drain line is NOT required if the other options are taken.

What is missing in that option is the requirement to also install an anti-freeze sensor and switch to shut the system down before the evaporator coil freezes up. As I recall, the anti-freeze switches shut the system down if the coil reaches down to 35 degrees F, which is just before it starts to frost up. That prevents the coil from freezing up into a block of ice.

The problem is that when the primary condensate line is clogged, AND the coil is a block of ice, the unit shuts down ... and where does all of that melting ice go when there is no secondary condensate line and the primary is already clogged? It overflows all over, which is what was trying to be prevented.

The HVAC contractors pulled the wool real tightly over everyone else's eyes on that one.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: condensate drain requirements

A yes or no would have done it but you taught me something extra Jerry. Thanks.