Thread: re tax question

daniel nantell Guest

Default re tax question

Attended a 3d seminar at Orlando last January, is any part of that tax deductiable , mileage to and from, hotel cost, cost of class , Never attended a out of town class before and my tax man charges by the hour, thanks .

Inspection Referral

Default Re: re tax question

I've always payed for all my CE classes (and out of town trips to and from) out of my business account. Mileage to/from is a tough one. The IRS has so many screwy laws about mileage that it's best to just use your company truck to get there. If you're talking about miles on another vehicle it's still deductible but is a bit more of a paperwork hassle.

I pay all my vehicle expenses out of my company each year and then impute income to me for the personal miles that I drive it. Basically, it's income added to my K-1 (for an S corp) that I wasn't taxed on.

The class itself if a no-brainer as is the hotel. Meals I believe are only 50% deductible as the IRS figures you'd have to eat if you were at home too and could likely do so for about half what it costs to eat out.

daniel nantell Guest

this was not for ce credits just for learning how to use 3 d software for writing reports. thanks

shouldn't make a difference... as long as it's for your business it should be deductible.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daniel nantell View Post
    Attended a 3d seminar at Orlando last January, is any part of that tax deductiable , mileage to and from, hotel cost, cost of class , Never attended a out of town class before and my tax man charges by the hour, thanks .
    I just did an inspection for a guy that works for the IRS that was transferred to this area. While we didn 't talk much about taxes, I did ask him what's one of the biggest mistakes small business owners do regarding taxes. He responded by saying that many think they can included mileage from home to work and back. He made a general statement that any mileage once at work can be deducted.

He also told me that the chances of somebody getting audited is slim unless something really stands out. They don't have the money to investigate that many people randomly.

Regarding the question, it's work related so I would think that mileage can be included.