Robert Kramer Guest

Default Snow in the attic

I have a client with problems in a new house. This is their first winter in the house in North Dakota. They are having a problem with snow entering the attic. It appears the snow is being blown in from wind swirling due the roof design. The garage roof intersects the north side of the house and is directly below the main house roof eaves. This appears to allow for wind under certain conditions to swirl and blow snow in through the soffit, up the vent tray and into the attic. This is a localized problem, only one vent tray presently appears to be having an issue. A couple ideas I shared were to have the contractor install a baffel of some sort that would prevent the condition or totally block off that particular soffit vent. I understand that ideally we want all soffit bays to provide venting but given this circumstance it may be prudent to forgo the minimal venting value from this single soffit vent to prevent the moisture from entering the attic. The attic is well ventilated otherwise, we have already addressed a couple other issues with venting that the contactor has corrected. As the winter progresses and sets in it becomes more apparent as to the shortcomings of the engineering in regards to mother nature. Those are my thoughts anyway. Anybody have some other suggestions or ideas? Thanks for any help.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

chris mcintyre Guest

Default Re: Snow in the attic

Robert,

This should answer all of your questions.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ffit-vent.html

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Robert,

This should answer all of your questions.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ffit-vent.html
    It's a good start.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    It's a good start.
    . Bruce, after skimming through the thread again, I must agree that is a much better way to put it.

Robert Kramer Guest

Smile Re: Snow in the attic

Thanks for the help. Seems to be along the lines of what I have discussed with the home owner already so thats good. I did pass along the links that were provided, thanks for those. I think they are great for the home owner to see so he knows exactly what the components look like to address it to the contractor. So far contractor is working with him pretty good so there doesn't seem to be any issues there....yet. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks again folks.
    Have a great weekend.

Last edited by Robert Kramer; 01-29-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: No smiley face