Default Condensate drain into DWV

I know the lines should be trapped, however, what is the code regarding where the condensate drain is draining? Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

David Bell Guest

Default Re: Condensate drain into DWV

As that is an indirect it could be trapped in a wall at a riser. however the coil should still be trapped to promote proper draining.

Jim Weyenberg Guest

Frank,
    Is there a separate drain for the catch pan? And why is it not draining to the same discharge piping? We can't see the whole thing in the picture. Coiuld be totally separate and draining out the other side I guess. Just a thought!

Jim Weyenberg
    NE WI.

Not sure which line you are asking about?

Primary condensate line:
    - If that is just one pipe sleeved down into another pipe where the outer pipe is a sleeve for whatever reason, the primary needs (as you said) a trap - a proper trap - and that should be okay.
    - If that is one pipe DRAINING into a riser which is serving as a receptacle, then I see two problems: 1) an air gap would be required; 2) if that lower line becomes clogged, and we all know it will, then water would overflow out the top of it and make a huge mess ...

Secondary condensate line:
    - Needs (as you said) a trap - a proper trap - and then can drain down into the pan, a very good way to drain the secondary, however, what is am not seeing (but what might be there) is either a shut off float type switch in that pan or another drain line from that pan.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com