Default Polybutylene Sprinkler Piping

Does anyone have any historical experience with polybutylene fire protection sprinkler piping? I was looking at a garden style apartment complex where several of the buildings were piped with polybutylene sprinkler piping. The majority have CPVC, Blazamaster specifically; however, the first few buildings constructed are with the poly piping. The buildings were built in the late 1980's. Larger pipes are all that are visible and appear to have heat fused joints. All smaller pipe that connect to the individual sprinkler heads are concealed and are possibly connected with a clamping method. The site reported no history with leaks or deterioration of those piping system.

Additionally, the static pressure within the sprinkler systems are quite high. The pressure gauges at the sprinkler mains ranged from 120 PSI to has high as 150 PSI. The pipe is stamped for 100 PSI at 180F. I don't know how that translates to 50F to 70F water within the sprinkler system.

Any history or comments would appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Polybutylene Sprinkler Piping

history states, poly will leak, when,WHO KNOWS, where, ANYWHERE.

BUT IT WILL LEAK
    was this prior to 1994???

charlie

michael

send your client to or yourself go to Better Plumbing - polybutylene plumbing, poly repipe & plumbing supplies. that should tell all

charlie

Thanks, I'm aware of the past law suit and the leaking issues.

David Bell Guest

Odds are 1 in 1,000,000 that it may leak at the exact time a fire starts, great stuff. The 80s gotta love um

Michael,

In one of my forays into learning about PB, I found some speculation that the degradation may have been caused by chlorine in the municipal water. Since the water in the fire sprinkler system is essentially still, it may be that the chlorine will degrade and not be refreshed as it would be in a water supply system. I believe that this particular article reported that relatively few systems supplied by well water were affected. I did not try too hard to verify any of the information. If this is true, then it might be ok to use PB as a fire sprinkler.

However, I would still defer.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

David Bell Guest

It had a much better reputation on dry systems, it seemed to fare better holding air than water.