dan orourke Guest

Default Thoughts on this

Last edited by dan orourke; 01-02-2008 at 08:01 AM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Thoughts on this

The work certainly is not pretty by any stretch of the imagination but I do not see a significant functional problem with this. If the alternative is to have the rafter end just floating out there then I will take the 2-by filler material instead and just mumble under my breath about it.

Mike Huppi Guest

We do not see any of the foam on the sheathing in the Portland Oregon area. Do you have much problems with moisture under the foam?

The shiny material on the underside of the roof decking is not a foam product; its a radient barrier which is just a foil product glued to the plywood or OSB.

It's not pretty. Luckily a few feet away the rafter is supported by a post which is in turn supported by a beam.

Without knowing what is on the other side of the rafter it's hard to say what the loads are at the end of the rafter. It would have been nice if the framers had at least nailed a block between the joists below the 2X4 for additional support.

It is certainly questionable. Hard to say whether to recommend a repair without knowing more.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com