mathew stouffer Guest

Default Cut joists in attic

There is a vaulted ceiling above this area, and these joists appear to be supportig the drywall ceiling below the area. Is it Ok to cut these in this situation.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

chris mcintyre Guest

Default Re: Cut joists in attic

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    There is a vaulted ceiling above this area, and these joists appear to be supportig the drywall ceiling below the area. Is it Ok to cut these in this situation.
    NO. I-joist like trusses are sized and designed for each application and any cutting or notching (other than allowed in the specs) must be part of the design.

From the looks of what you have there I would say that is "sparky framing".

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    NO. I-joist like trusses are sized and designed for each application and any cutting or notching (other than allowed in the specs) must be part of the design.
    I second that emotion ...

I've also got concerns about that horizontal member with the large bearing NOT bearing on anything for most of it. Second and third photos.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Jerry,
    I was looking at that as well. The upper half is anchored to the member whiich is about 10 to 15 inches wide.

At Least This One Has a Big Ole Scab on it.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Tom Camp Guest

Even though the Truss Joist are apparently only supporting a drywall ceiling, there are approved methods for interrupting a truss joist span. Note the attached photo.

Tom Camp
    Colorado Springs Home Inspector
    Colorado Springs - Home Inspections, Commercial Inspections, Radon Inspections, Mold Inspections
    truss joist.JPG

Looks like also the drywall is not secured? see gap at bottom!

Rolland Pruner

Liverm0ore, Ca

Also I would ask the builder for any exceptions to the instruction from the factory and report any differance and exception to the factory specification. The future or existing swale or failure will be the builder respondsiblity.

Fred Sweezer Sr
    1-562-234-2689
    fax 361-5996
    [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']http://www.linkedin.com/in/certifiedhomeinspection [/font]
    www.theLongBeachhomeinspector.com