Jon mackay Guest

Default Mising Window J Channel

Is there an acceptable type of window installation with vinyl siding other than J channel?
    This is a manufactured home and non of the windows have J channel. Additionally, the windows in the house either do not open or are extremely difficult to operate. Could they be related?

Thank you

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Mising Window J Channel

The channel is built into the window on those.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Quote Originally Posted by John Goad View Post
    The channel is built into the window on those.
    John - Can we assume that the channel is built into any window where the siding passes behind like that, and does not butt the side of the window?

I mean, is that how you can tell from the photo that the channel is built in, or are you just familiar with that type or brand of window?

I'm not suggesting you're wrong, or anything. Siding and window details just aren't my strong point.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

chris mcintyre Guest

I want to say all, but I won't, lower end vinyl and aluminum have the built in J-channel. Typically the higher end windows, especially the aluminum clad and casement will not have the built in J. At least this is the case in my area.

Additionally, the windows in the house either do not open or are extremely difficult to operate. Could they be related?
    I would be surprised if the siding had anything to do with the window operation. It is most likely two thing.
    1) Poor and improper installation.
    2) Cheap as$ windows.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    I want to say all, but I won't, lower end vinyl and aluminum have the built in J-channel. Typically the higher end windows, especially the aluminum clad and casement will not have the built in J....
    Thanks.
    But, can I tell just by the fact that the siding passes behind the window, as in the OP's photos? Or is it more complicated than that?

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Thanks.
    But, can I tell just by the fact that the siding passes behind the window, as in the OP's photos?
    I would say yes, as long as you can't see the fasteners inside or outside, but I guess there are always exceptions.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by chris mcintyre; 01-30-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: reworded, to make sense

Jon mackay Guest

Ok, thank you.

So no issue with the trim then..
    I have never had a window not open before, especially on a house that's less than 10 years old. They need to correct for proper egress but I'm curious how..

A ledge hammer or a crowbar should do the job...lol

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    John - Can we assume that the channel is built into any window where the siding passes behind like that, and does not butt the side of the window?

I mean, is that how you can tell from the photo that the channel is built in, or are you just familiar with that type or brand of window?

I'm not suggesting you're wrong, or anything. Siding and window details just aren't my strong point.
    It does pay to become familiar with changes in building materials and methods. In my area of the state of VA, it would be difficult to find a spec home built in the past 4 years or so using vinyl siding and vinyl windows that did not use windows with a nailing flange and a u-channel, or J-channel if u prefer, for covering the ends of the siding. Looks neat, and it doesn't leave a seam that requires maintenance. Siding installation is unchanged and should follow the manufacturer's instructions.

You shouldn't assume anything in inspection. You can use deductive and inductive reasoning from observable evidence and a qualified basis of experience.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA