Default 120/208v 3-Phase 400-Amp FPE Stab-Lok Panel

120/208v 3-Phase 400-Amp Federal Pacific Electric Panel !!!

I had no idea Stab-Lok panels were made this large. I ran across this one on a commercial inspection today.

I checked building permits for the building and, lo and behold, what did I find? An electrical permit from 1990 to "REPLACE 400 AMP PANEL DUE TO A FIRE".

The first photos are of the main disconnect outside the building. Those 400 amp fuses are HUGE!

The tab for the panel latch is broken off and I was able to simply raise the panel cover to open it. That is a serious accident waiting to happen.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Bruce Breedlove; 02-03-2010 at 01:56 AM.
    Inspection Referral
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Default Re: 120/208v 3-Phase 400-Amp FPE Stab-Lok Panel

Here is the 400-amp FPE Stab-Lok panel. This is the largest Stab-Lok panel that I have run across. I assume this is the panel that was replaced in 1990 after a fire. What a great opportunity missed.

Notice the numerous openings around the breakers waiting for a finger to enter.

I did not find any super loose breakers in the Stab-Lok panel but interestingly I did find a couple of overheated neutrals at a downstream panel.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

A big issue I see is the paralell conductors in lugs that may not be rated for more then 1 conductor in the fusible switch & the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    A big issue I see is the paralell conductors in lugs that may not be rated for more then 1 conductor in the fusible switch & the panel.
    Along with the grounding conductor in the neutral terminal bar at the downstream panel, and ... too many other things to mention.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Along with the grounding conductor in the neutral terminal bar at the downstream panel, and ... too many other things to mention.
    All were duly noted. I was amazed at how many open splices and open junction boxes I found above the acoustic ceiling tiles.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com