Grant Jones Guest

Default New Washer Drain Design?

Anyone ever seen a washer drain like this? They've put a sump pump inside a garbage can, and tied that in to the drain system. My first thought was that this is just plain wrong, but after thinking for a while, this is also a major problem in case of a sewage backup. The basement will be flooded in no time. Other thoughts?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Stacey Van Houtan Guest

Default Re: New Washer Drain Design?

This looks like a home made grinder pump, is this home on spetic?

Grant Jones Guest

City water - in East Nashville.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Jones View Post
    Anyone ever seen a washer drain like this? They've put a sump pump inside a garbage can, and tied that in to the drain system. My first thought was that this is just plain wrong, but after thinking for a while, this is also a major problem in case of a sewage backup. The basement will be flooded in no time. Other thoughts?
    Grant,

If you are joking, it would really help to put in one of the smiley faces.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

And where did the dryer vent exhaust to?

Grant Jones Guest

Good question. Wrote that up, too... See pic.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I guess when the trash can runs over, the homeowner knows it's time to clean the washer lint from plugging the sump pump inlet screen!

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Jones View Post
    Sweet setup!

They actually make sewage ejector systems for this specific purpose, complete w/ 30 gal tank. They typically come with a dual float, one for activation and the other for alarm. The discharge pipe has a check valve in it to prevent sewage backflow. If you know a handy electrician, you can actually wire the alarm so it cuts power to the washer in the case of pump failure.

Grant Jones Guest

Thanks, Corn Walker. Are you an Indiana man? I would send that info to the buyer, but this along with about 10 other things in this home gave me the feeling they wouldn't pursue the purchase.

looks like another job well done by the git er dun boys with the you all listed components