Default Commercial Kitchen Sinks - No Trap Required If Draining Into Floor Drain?

Does anyone know what the code says about sink drains in commercial kitchens? Specifically, is a trap not required when the sink drains into a floor drain with an air gap?

In an inspection the other day I noticed that several sinks that drained to floor drains did not have a trap. Other sinks that drained directly into the DWV naturally had traps.

What determines whether a sink must drain into the DWV or to a floor drain? Could it be that handwashing sinks can drain to a floor drain (without a trap) but sinks used for food preparation must drain into the DWV?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

David Bell Guest

Default Re: Commercial Kitchen Sinks - No Trap Required If Draining Into Floor Drain?

All food prep sinks should discharge into an indirect floor sink, these drains should also lead to a grease trap. Food prep sinks are indirect to avoid contamination in case of a drain back-up.

Default Re: Commercial Kitchen Sinks - No Trap Required If Draining Into Floor Drain?

Gotcha. Thanks!

The kitchen equipment was excluded from my inspection but I was curious about that.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com