Default Gas valve in the firebox.

Quick question. If this fireplace is used to burn wood, does the gas valve have to be moved outside the firebox?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Gas valve in the firebox.

I don't know that it needs to be outside the firebox, but it does need to be capped in addition to just being 'OFF'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I don't know that it needs to be outside the firebox, but it does need to be capped in addition to just being 'OFF'.
    It is capped, just can't see it in my pic. I was thinking the valve was only allowed in the firebox for gas logs but I can't find anything to back it up. I know I would be headed for the water hose if I saw a large block of glowing red oak fall on top of a gas valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    I know I would be headed for the water hose if I saw a large block of glowing red oak fall on top of a gas valve.
    More so than if you saw a large block of glowing red oak fall on top of a gas pipe coupling?

If I saw a large block of glowing red oak falling in the fireplace, I would be concerned that it did not fall OUT OF the fireplace, regardless of whether there was a valve in there or not.

(Especially in my gas fireplace! )

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Stacey Van Houtan Guest

The only gas valves i have seen were not for wood starters but a gas log and even those are not as what you have. The use a long removable square key

I always call this type of valve in a fire box a defect

Michael Schirmer Guest

It's for a future gas logs set; NOT for a log lighter. But I would call it out because it should not be in the back of the firebox, but rather coming through the side. You shouldn't have to reach over the logs and stick your arm through the fire to shut off the gas.

Vern...
    From the 2006 NC Fuel Gas Code (sorry, don't have the 2009):

409.1.2 Prohibited locations. Shutoff valves shall be prohibited in concealed locations and furnace plenums.
    So no restriction there.

Also -
    409.5 Equipment shutoff valve. Each appliance shall be provided with a shutoff valve separate from the appliance. The shutoff valve shall be located in the same room as the appliance, not further than 6 feet (1829 mm) from the appliance, and shall be installed upstream from the union, connector or quick disconnect devise it serves. Such shutoff valves shall be provided with access.
    Exception: Shutoff valves for vented decorative appliances and decorative appliances for installation in vented fireplaces shall not be prohibited from being installed in an area remote from the appliance where such valves are provided with ready access. Such valves shall be permanently identified and shall serve no other equipment. Piping from the shutoff valve to within 3 feet (914 mm) of the appliance connection shall be sized in accordance with Section 402.

And finally -
    409.5.1 Shutoff valve in fireplace. Equipment shutoff valves located in the firebox of a fireplace shall be installed in accordance with the appliance manufacturer's instructions. This section shall not prohibit the use or the installation of a gas shutoff valves in the firebox of fireplaces serving listed gas appliances.

Phil Brody Guest

Common sense would say the valve it not approved for thermocycling of that degree and the valve should be located outside of the high heat area. A valve stem leak is likely, in addition the lubricant inside of the valve would likely be displaced.

Cool Re: Gas valve in the firebox.

The valve pictured is suitable for vented gas logs. It would not be suitable for a woodburning fire.

Basically, if burning wood can fall on the valve or if a valve is located where it can received direct flame impingement, it should be removed. Note the gas line should be properly sealed.

If you had a log lighter, you would want a metering valve outside the firebox and a separate shutoff per the code. BTW, the gas comes in on the right for gas log lighters.

If a burning log fell onto this shutoff to where I was afraid of it somehow causing a gas leak ignition, I would simply shut off the gas meter, let the fire die out then call a plumber to cap it. A hose stream would cause damage to the home and possibly operator without extinguishing the fire. It would blow ash and soot all over the house.

You can have burning wood in contact with a capped pressurized gas line if schedule 40 steel pipe that has been leak tested and has an approved shutoff.

A shutoiff listed to ANSI Z21.15 and approved by the mfr can be located inside a fireplace if the other conditions are met.

Remember, these shutoffs are for service and not emergencies. If there is an emergency, get everyone out of the house then have the meter shutoff--emergency over. FWIW, I ALWAYS use two shutoffs: one at the appliance an d one where the appliance branch comes off the main riser.

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Thanks all. That is what I thought, just needed that warm fuzzy!

Stacey Van Houtan Guest

How can you tell what a new owner will use this valve for, Appliance or log lighter. as such the valve should be removed and the line capped, or an approve appliance installed, or a flame spreader (providing other things are present) that would be my comment

Is that a masonry or factory built? The firebox looks shallow.

Rob Yarboro Guest

I'm not even sure if that firebox is designed to burn wood. I would check for a spec. tag to see if it is rated for solid fuel. It appears to be designed for a gas appliance, but without seeing the whole firebox, I cannot say for sure. When in doubt, check the tag.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Yarboro View Post
    I would check for a spec. tag to see if it is rated for solid fuel.
    Which got me to thinking, where would the tags be?

Looking back at the pics, is that the paperwork for the FP under the bucket of colorful pine cones?

Rob Yarboro Guest

There should be a metal tag or a foil sticker attached to the metal firebox somewhere. Sometimes they play hide and seek with it. Maybe some larger pictures could help us identify this fireplace.

Hi again (all) &

Hey, Vern - Nice llooking watch !

* What else does it do - besides tell 'time';

Got any 'James Bond' type features (or would you have to 'snuff' me if ever revealed) ?

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Duxbury View Post
    Hi again (all) &

Hey, Vern - Nice llooking watch !

* What else does it do - besides tell 'time';

Got any 'James Bond' type features (or would you have to 'snuff' me if ever revealed) ?

CHEERS !
    It counts down to the five minute starting gun.