Thread: Attic Framing

Ryan Stouffer Guest

Default Attic Framing

Does this framing look correct? In particular the vertical supports that appear to be randomly placed throughout the attic.

Thanks,

Ryan

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Attic Framing

Looks like a Pick-Up Sticks game gone bad.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Risley View Post
    Dead wood was left in place instead of being pulled at end of framing.
    James, I have always heard/thought of dead wood as framing members that are installed in corners, parallel with ceiling joist on top of walls, etc..., for the purpose of giving you something to fasten drywall, siding, etc..., to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Stouffer View Post
    Does this framing look correct? In particular the vertical supports that appear to be randomly placed throughout the attic.
    Ryan, I'm not sure if it is wrong from a code standpoint, but it looks the framers are lost when there are no trusses, and they have to tie the roof in with stick framing.

There should be a purlin with another 2x turned edge wise (stiff back) with the roof bracing tied in at that point.

Also when you cannot install a valley rafter and must put the cripple rafters on another roof, there should be a 2x (think ridge board) laying on the other roof for the rafters to sit on.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by chris mcintyre; 02-11-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: add picture

Richard Pultar Guest

looks fine... but.. boca cabo, irc wise......homemade trusses, nailplates, two by rafter on two foot center, machine rated lumber stamp, H clips, span of rafter, rafter bearing on roof deck, .....needs a letter to certify this fatuous work is fine.

Last edited by Richard Pultar; 02-11-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Brad Peterson Guest

Smile Re: Attic Framing

Hi Ryan

My thoughs are that they the framers used the same size 2x rafters as the trusses are fabbed from and that they used the 2x4 bracing to correct the bounce in the rafters. A 1x or 3/4 " minimum nailer at the heal cut of rafters is used today to support them where they do not stack on trusses below. Not knowing how old the home is could be the reason and the lack of this nailer.
    The only real concern on my part would be the point load on the trusses that the kickers at bearing on. They are not designed for this condition.
    A good carpenter not just a framer could assist the buyer or owner with corrections.
    Have a GREAT DAY.

Brad - Tri-City Inspection Agency, LLC

mathew stouffer Guest

I can see why the ceiling is cracking. All the weight pusshing down on those vertical "pick up sticks" would probably do it. Put 5 or 7 feet of snow on the roof and the weight would push down and poof. But thats just a guess.

Attached Thumbnails

it's not all that bad! brad picked up on the lack of a 2x plate required for the full bearing of the level cut of the cripple jacks at the california infill. the truss calcs usually include a bracing sheet for the cripple rafters to the trusses below and i have seen the method shown several times and verified its' installation. get ahold of the calcs if possible before condemning anything! or call for a professional opinion if you lack the knowledge to be comfortable in making that determination.

chris mcintyre Guest

[quote=James Risley;120329]Chris, I have always thought of dead wood as all wood which intent and/or purpose is to provide a function of a non structural nature.[quote]

James, I am not saying you are wrong. One of the things that I learned from this forum is that there are a lot of regional terms that have different meanings depending on your area. I don't think "dead wood" is a technical term, so your definition is as good as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    it's not all that bad!
    Is this based on the fact that it is still standing?

brad picked up on the lack of a 2x plate required for the full bearing of the level cut of the cripple jacks.....
    I guess I need to work on my wording.

i have seen the method shown several times and verified its' installation.
    This must be where the saying "only in California" comes from.

......or call for a professional opinion......
    IMH professional O, This is wrong.

Is this based on the fact that it is still standing?

I guess I need to work on my wording.

This must be where the saying "only in California" comes from.

IMH professional O, This is wrong.[/quote]
    mac,
    what type of professional opinion would you have? how many cut up truss roofs have you built/ inspected?

chris mcintyre Guest

mac,
    what type of professional opinion would you have?
    Brian,

I am a builder that comes from the carpentry trade. I have been framing for almost 30 years. I am a working builder, meaning that I do not just ride from job to job all day, I have a small company and we do all of the carpentry work, including the framing. I do build bigger custom homes where I sub out the framing.

how many cut up truss roofs have you built/ inspected?
    I don't know how long you have been inspecting, but unless it has been a lot of years I have probably built more cut up roofs than you have inspected.

You will never see me questioning anyone here on any other subject, when I got my license and started building, much to my surprise, I realized how little I knew about residential construction.

So if you are happy with what you see in those pictures, fine.
    But as I said before, IMH professional O, This is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Brian,

I am a builder that comes from the carpentry trade. I have been framing for almost 30 years.

I don't know how long you have been inspecting, but unless it has been a lot of years I have probably built more cut up roofs than you have inspected.

You will never see me questioning anyone here on any other subject,
    So if you are happy with what you see in those pictures, fine.
    But as I said before, IMH professional O, This is wrong.
    chris,
    i was a builder specializing in custom homes from the ground up for 25 years. i stayed on the job and ran the jobs for the entire job.
    i became an inspector 16 years ago after one too many roof dives. i believe i am confident enough to make certain decisions regarding the structural adequacy of buildings under construction. i believe that this building from the limited views is not a tear down or lost cause and would i require more information before making a condemning statement.
    i cut roofs and stairs in the 60's to the 90's using a framing square etc... i respect and admire real carpenters that still use such archaic tools and methods of construction and their opinions

i believe that this building from the limited views is not a tear down or lost cause

Not sure where or why you get us saying that is a tear down, it is fixable ... AND WE SAID IT NEEDED TO BE FIXED, to which you said it was okay ...

And being "lost cause"? The framer is a lost cause, but the roof is ... fixable - but NOT by the framer who had no idea what they were doing in the first place.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com