Andy Jarchow Guest

Smile AC unit not tested due to cold weather.

Hello all,

I’m a new home inspector just started last month. This site is a great resource.

When the temp has been below 65 degrees F during the last 12 hours I don’t turn the AC unit on. I do a visual inspection and indicate on my report what I found and that the unit was not tested due to outside temp.

Should I recommend a hvac guy to check this because I was unable to run the unit or just leave it at unit was not tested?

My second question is do most AC (central air) units have a date of manufacture on them? If so where is it normally?

Thank you for your time!

Mike

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: AC unit not tested due to cold weather.

Mike,
    I recommend they be checked when the weather permits. Even the HVAC guy won't test it when the temperature is below 60 (if they are smart).
    As far as manufacture dates, most of them are embedded in the serial number so you would need to know how to read the nameplates of multiple brands. I just called the supplier for Gibson (made by Nordyne) and found the date is after the first 3 alpha characters JSA_ _ _ _ the first 2 are year and second 2 are month. They all like to keep us guessing.

chris mcintyre Guest

6 months out of the year I can't test a/c units. In my report I'll explain that the unit can be damaged when running in temperatures below 65 degrees. I'll also advise them to verify the operating condition with the seller. If it's a foreclosure and I can't test it then either assume it doesn't work and be pleasantly surprised if it does or to get a repair contract with the local utility company or a home warranty.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Andy Jarchow Guest

Excellent thanks Chris!
    mk

If the unit is old and damaged coils, rust, debris, missing insulation, out of level or any other clue, I advise my clients to have the unit serviced prior to close of title. Or if I can ascertain the age I recommend budgeting for replacement.

Either the model number or serial number will have the manufacture date, while others manufactures list the manufacture date.

You can buy manuals which list the various manufactures dates.

Always state what limited/prevented testing, cold, power off, unit covered for winter....

Andy Jarchow Guest

Thank you Ramond,

If it wasn't for this site a guy in this business is kinda on his own. I appreciate all the help.

Thanks again everyone! good stuff
    mk