Thread: Power inverter

Default Power inverter

I need to get another power inverter for the truck, the one I currently have has to be re-set whenever you start up the vehicle. I have also read about some that will shut down before draining the battery & I like the thought of that as well.
    Anyway, just thought I'd ask & see if there is a particular make or model that stands out as a good one. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Default Re: Power inverter

Black and Decker 400 watt unit.
    Power Inverters from Black and Decker

It's not the battery, like I said, it does it when you start the vehicle & does mention that it will do this in the operating instructions. Unfortunately I did not think of this issue before purchase or I would have made sure to read them like I will be doing on the next one.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Maybe it's just me, but I've never had any luck with power inverters. Every one I've tried has melted down within 3 months. I finally went with 12 volt adapters and a multi port connection for my electronics and haven't had a problem since.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

The BD unit I have has worked flawlessly and I have had it for a couple of years. However I don't use it all the time. I also believe it has overload protection if you exceed the rating.

I use two inverters. A small 400 watt unit that plugs into the power port to run the computer, phone etc. If I need to print on my Laser, I fire up the 800 watt that clips directly to the battery terminals and set the printer on the air cleaner.

I must say, it gets some strange looks when I so this. While on a FEMA gig in Texas in 08, I did this one time and this guy was really watching me. I asked him "haven't you ever seen a Honda printer before?" It's an option on this model!
    Dana

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Exclamation Re: Power inverter

Weren't those printers recalled along with the airbag problems? Something about combustibles too close to the exhaust manifold or something, it seems. No fires have been reported, except in testing. I could not help myself.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

When I was inspecting I had a fully equipped portable office in my conversion van, complete with a 3,000 watt inverter I added. Kept my Xerox Phaser color printer in the van and printed reports there for a number of years before taking it out and putting it in my office and stopped doing reports "on site". Ran heavy 4/0 stranded strand welding cable from a second battery up front back to the inverter in the rear to reduce voltage drop inherent with high amp draw at 12 volts.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com