chris mcintyre Guest

Default service entry cable sheathing?

I was doing some sub work on a house and this caught my eye.

Everything was fine except for the sheathing (I'm not sure that is the right term) which was split, then taped together.

Is this an issue?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: service entry cable sheathing?

Not acceptable.

The only acceptable repair I am aware of is to replace the cable.

Are you sure that was even cable? Looks more like someone stripped some sheath off a smaller cable and tried to wrap it around individual conductors, trying to make their own 'cable'.

Also, that 'cable' and the cable to the box to the right are required to be in proper clamps, not PVC male adapters (which is what they look like, certainly not clamps as required).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I have to agree with Jerry the cable does look like a "site assembly" & PVC terminal adaptors are not a kosher cable connector, proper connectors are a must. With garbage like that, the whole job needs to be gone over very carefully.

Cutler-Hammer type BR loadcenter, "Engineered Value" , Trunkslammer Electric strikes again.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Are you sure that was even cable? Looks more like someone stripped some sheath off a smaller cable and tried to wrap it around individual conductors, trying to make their own 'cable'.
    Not sure. I wish I had taken a couple of pictures of the panel, but I didn't. It was odd.

Also, that 'cable' and the cable to the box to the right are required to be in proper clamps, not PVC male adapters (which is what they look like, certainly not clamps as required).
    You are correct, no clamps.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    I have to agree with Jerry the cable does look like a "site assembly" & PVC terminal adaptors are not a kosher cable connector, proper connectors are a must. With garbage like that, the whole job needs to be gone over very carefully.

Cutler-Hammer type BR loadcenter, "Engineered Value" , Trunkslammer Electric strikes again.
    This is a 4 story house that was bought out of foreclosure after the original builder went belly up. According to neighbors it has sat for 18 months.

Roger Frazee Guest

Can't add to what Jerry and Rollie mentioned as to what the code violation is but this appears to be a 400 amp service supporting two 200 amp panels. I'm curious though at what stage in the inspection process this is in? Meaning has it passed electrical rough inspection yet? Who's doing the work? ...Homeowner or contractor ? It looks homeowner to me with the pvc box connectors being used ... Jerry pointed this out.

Looking at the panel on the right I see what appears to be all grounded legs connected to the right hand visible terminal bar which would be consistent with the cutler hammer design when converting the panel to non-service equipment. So I think the cables are service feeders coming from the service equipment. But that is a guess from what I see.

Anyway as said you have to replace that cable with the 'taped on sheath'...there is no fix. An inspector might let them put that short section in conduit but then you would have other issues to resolve....like bending radius and finding a way to get the conduit to match up with the panel in a 2x4 wall cavity. The entry to the wall cavity shown will not work if that were allowed.

As for how that installation was done just screams ... " I don't know what I'm doing". On BR type panels using a split neutral design and the main lugs or main breaker positioned at the top on the panel as shown in the pictures .. feeding the panel from the bottom creates a PITA for terminating the circuit breakers, grounded legs and equipment grounds. You generally feed from the bottom large center knockout (when top orientation is used) for feed thru lugs or what is called sub-feeds. When you run those big fat wires all the way from the bottom to the top (as shown) you now have to work around them to terminate the branch circuits. Not a code violation but just isn't what an experienced electrician would do that is familiar with the Cutler Hammer panels. If you are using top orientation you feed the panel from the top. If you are going to feed the panel as shown in the picture you turn the panel 180 degrees and use bottom orientation..ie...main breaker or main lugs at the bottom.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited by Roger Frazee; 02-14-2010 at 01:08 PM.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Frazee View Post
    ........... this appears to be a 400 amp service supporting two 200 amp panels.
    Yes it is.

I'm curious though at what stage in the inspection process this is in? Meaning has it passed electrical rough inspection yet? Who's doing the work? ...Homeowner or contractor ?
    I know it has not passed rough-in yet. To this point the work had been done by the electrical contractor of the previous builder, the homeowner (who has decided to act as the builder, which he can do in the county he is in) will be hiring an electrician to finish, it will be interesting to see what happens.

So I think the cables are service feeders coming from the service equipment. But that is a guess from what I see.
    Right again.
    I will get a couple of pictures of the panels next time I am on this job site.

Another typical 'homeowner/depot' job!
    I wish I didn't see this one....got to inspect a bunch of this type tomorrow, as it seems everybody's off work these days and they want to save $ by DYI.
    I can already hear the Bitc#ing and why I should let 'this one slide'!
    Bob Smit, County EI