Thread: Shady Windows

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Shady Windows

Pretty cool I think. I wonder if they would be cost effective in terms of energy savings. It seems like everything follows the dollar. At least, in order to be a successful marketable product.

Like I'm not spending enough time squinting at windows from every angle to look for signs of leaking seal! I hope these don't catch on.

It's not such a bad idea. Who knows? Maybe one day "smart windows" will be commonplace.

Your tax dollars at work. The National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, CO started out in the '70s as the Solar Energy Research Institute. Jimmy Carter cranked up their budget big time. (I'm not sure if part of their mission then was researching sweaters.) NREL received $110 million as part of the stimulus a year ago. Their annual budget now tops $300 million.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

I just came across this site from the TPREIA news letter. Has several interesting ideas, $6000 wind turbine, PV roof shingles, etc.
    A $6,000 wind turbine? New green products debut at International Builders' Show - Green House - USATODAY.com

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Yeah, they've been out a number of years. I've seen photos of them installed in bathrooms in high rise condos, in NYC if I recall - wall-to-wall-floor-to-ceiling windows, no window coverings of any type, just that glass which they darken when in the bathroom taking a shower or in the tub next to the windows.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Electrochromic windows are windows that can be darkened or lightened electronically. A small voltage applied to the windows will cause them to darken; reversing the voltage causes them to lighten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I've seen photos of them installed in bathrooms in high rise condos, in NYC if I recall - wall-to-wall-floor-to-ceiling windows, no window coverings of any type, just that glass which they darken when in the bathroom taking a shower or in the tub next to the windows.

I wouldn't want to be in the shower when the power goes out....on second thought the neighbors wouldn't want me to be in the shower when the power goes out.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I just came across this site from the TPREIA news letter. Has several interesting ideas, $6000 wind turbine, PV roof shingles, etc.
    A $6,000 wind turbine? New green products debut at International Builders' Show - Green House - USATODAY.com

6,000 plus 3000 installation.

"Some states you can get 70% off the price"

Translation. Everyone else pays for your stupid purchase of an over priced item.

Now we all know they charge so much due to R&D. Well, If they sold them for a fraction of the cost they would sell a tremendous amount of them and make there money back XXX fold. Instead they charge a fortune and a handful of people fall in line and blow their money to get paid back in years down the road.

How about Dems shingles??????? 25000 for 2 to 400 shingles. I can guaranty it will be more like 200 and years to pay you back in savings. How about they sell them for a fraction of the cost and thousands buy them so it takes off and thousands more buy them.

Then and only then will any of this become the future and way of things.

How about those smart vehicles. I am talking about the ones anyone may want. They cost so much....how smart are they. I am not talking about those over grown go karts I am talking about real cars. I think it the Ford Escape Hybrid.........Startting at 30,000.00. Now thats is something all families can go out and by for 650.00 a month. Yep, lets save fuel . Could by one in the low 20s with out being a hybrid. The Escape Hybrid shown with the goodies...32,000. Non hybrid after rebates and such 72 months 317.00. Even that is tough for a family starting out young. Of course they need another vehicle so they can both work...... 600 plus just for the 2 of them to get around starting out their young family then the other bills on top of that.

Just how smart is all this stuff. What kind of foot print are all these folks making to make the money they do to spend the extra money to make a smaller foot print. They spend money so the salesman can go out and spend money and while he is out the foot print he is creating. More money more jet fuel for vacations.

Just how smart is all this stuff. Gotta bring it into reality and actually be able to market these items. Everyone getting involved want to make the major serious money with it (why not) so it will never fall in line with the average Joe.