mathew stouffer Guest

Default Toe Nailing Microlams

I can't really find any specific info about this. Do you know if microlams can be toe nailed or are hangers needed. This place is about 12 years old.

This is what I found, but it doesn't pertain.

Toe nailed connections shall not be used to transfer lateral seismic or wind forces in
    excess of 150 pounds per foot from diaphragms to shear walls, drag struts (collectors) or to
    other elements, nor from shear walls to diaphragms or other elements per CBC, Section
    2318A.3.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Toe Nailing Microlams

matthew,
    they are using engineered lumber so therefore i would have required engineering for the connections! no brainer!

mathew stouffer Guest

Brian, you would have or they would have??? Plus engineer or not is it allowed.

A.D. Miller Guest

Approved brackets must be used. No toenailing is allowed.

http://www.ilevel.com/literature/TJ-9000.pdf

Steve Willis Guest

As an old framer (too old to be a framer, now) the only time I ever saw toe nailed micros was to temp it in place. Simpson will have a hanger for just about any situation. Hardware is required!

chris mcintyre Guest

Just for the sake of discussion, when LVL's are used for structural support the connections are part of the design and should be used as required.

When LVL's are used say...as a rafter, would the requirements for rafters be the code to follow? Even in the pdf posted by AD when the LVL is used as a header or a ceiling joist no hangers are required.

So my thought would be that if there is not a designed use, and you are using the LVL's instead of 2x8's as long as you fasten the "rafters" per code it is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Just for the sake of discussion, when LVL's are used for structural support the connections are part of the design and should be used as required.

When LVL's are used say...as a rafter, would the requirements for rafters be the code to follow? Even in the pdf posted by AD when the LVL is used as a header or a ceiling joist no hangers are required.

So my thought would be that if there is not a designed use, and you are using the LVL's instead of 2x8's as long as you fasten the "rafters" per code it is not an issue.
    chris,
    the evaluation report for the lvl's state that the connections shall be in accordance with the NDS for solid wood species with an equivelent specific gravity.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    chris,
    the evaluation report for the lvl's state that the connections shall be in accordance with the NDS for solid wood species with an equivelent specific gravity.
    So you are agreeing?

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    So you are agreeing?
    i agree! per the report!

I agree with all of the above, but in that second photo is that valley rafter being supported on a ceiling joist?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant