Default How to support a post over a foundation vent

What do you think? Is this OK or does it need to be investigated by a structural engineer?
    There's a jack post above this that supports a header over a bay window in an exterior load-bearing wall. The blocks in the vent can be moved easily about a quarter inch if you twist them by hand. The blocks are treated, at least. There is a tiny crack in the mortar joint above that is evident inside and out. No evidence of cracked drywall inside the house.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Michael Garrity Guest

Default Re: How to support a post over a foundation vent

Remove the vent and replace it with a concrete block or remove the 2 blocks above the vent and replace with a lintel.

No it does not need an engineered fix, an engineer will tell you what Michael did above.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Garrity View Post
    Remove the vent and replace it with a concrete block or remove the 2 blocks above the vent and replace with a lintel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    No it does not need an engineered fix, an engineer will tell you what Michael did above.
    If YOU want the LIABILITY ... sure go ahead, but ... one should open their thinking a bit and consider that ...

... IT IS LIKELY there is no steel in those top blocks
    ... IT IS LIKELY they are not 'U' block for lintels
    ... IT IS LIKELY there is no concrete in those top blocks either
    ... but if you want the liability ... sure, go ahead and recommend a fix without knowing what is there (or MORE IMPORTANTLY - NOT THERE)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Garrity Guest

That was funny,now I can go to bed with a smile

Thanks everyone for your good comments.
    I just showed the photos to my structural engineer friend. He says that since I could move the blocks, it's clear that they are carrying no load. He also said that the 1 1/4" OSB band joist is plenty strong to carry the weight of the post and header and their contributing loads. So do I still write it up as needing repair?

Yes right it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamey Tippens View Post
    Thanks everyone for your good comments.
    I just showed the photos to my structural engineer friend. He says that since I could move the blocks, it's clear that they are carrying no load. He also said that the 1 1/4" OSB band joist is plenty strong to carry the weight of the post and header and their contributing loads. So do I still write it up as needing repair?
    No need to write it up if your structural engineer friend will sign and seal the letter stating it will be okay as it is.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, Point taken.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jamey Tippens View Post

I was going to suggest adding a 3 or 4' LVL across the vent with hangers on the I-joist as a possible solution, but since that is an engineered floor system the repair would need to be stamped by a PE.

Unless the homeowners can produce the original specs, you need to CYA.

Last edited by chris mcintyre; 02-17-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: remove the part about the friend's letter, Jerry beat me to it

That sill plate doesn't look like PT....

I'm surprised your engineer said that because you can move the blocks it's okay. As I see it, today you can move the blocks.... tomorrow, after someone moves in and puts a 900 lbs hutch over the area and masonry fails I'd bet you wouldn't be able to move the blocks.

Just because a structure is behaving one way on a given day doesn't mean it's designed correctly.

The same logic would be a bridge doing just great right up until it collapsed.