Thread: Missing grounds

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Missing grounds

This is a large condo complex, built two years age. Why are there no grounds? Am I missing something If I am take it easy on me, don't bash me too much. The neutrals are isolated and I only found 1 ground coming into the panel, although there is a ground bar. I did hit my head during the inspection.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Missing grounds

It looks like they ran raceways/ metal conduit throughout, so the metal conduit acts as the EGC's (grounds) if everything is properly installed.

Roger Frazee Guest

As already mentioned a raceway is being used for ground. It looks like MCAP with insulated throat snap in connectors for the branch circuits that are 10 awg or smaller.There is a bare metal bonding wire ran on the inside wall of the flexible metal conduit making it listed for grounding. This is the connector that is similar to what they are using in your photo ...

Btw your question is asked all the time ... now you know whats going on when you see this and won't have to ask it anymore....

I agree with Rogers take on this install.

Roger Frazee Guest

Matt

I should have mentioned that the ground fault path using this type of method is the metal of the panel to which the grounding bar is bonded with its mounting screws.

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks. What confused me was that I was in a unit 4 floors down earlier in the week and they used grouds.

Generally speaking; MC or metal clad cable uses a grounding conductor and would be entering the panel.
    AC or armored cable utilizes the armour as the grounding path, with an aluminum bonding strip run in contact with the armour along its length to eliminate any choke effect. U would not see this as it is usually cut off at the end of the armour, or folded back outside the connector for inspection purposes.
    There are some variations of course, which is why I made the preempted note; 'generally speaking'.
    Bob Smit, County EI