Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta Have Tool

Default Gotta Have Tool

At the last association meeting, a few of the old timers made presentation about the one item they always have in the truck or with them during an inspection.

Items included:
    Roll of TP
    Electrical probe
    Expandable paint pole with proble on the end

What is the one tool, gadget, item that you always have with you on an inspection?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Troy Eskew Guest

Default Re: Gotta Have Tool

HDD Video Camera

Voltage sniffer. Great to check if abandoned wiring is dead (e.g., K&T wiring).

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    What is the one tool, gadget, item that you always have with you on an inspection?

The single tool that I always, or must, have is a flashlight.

TP aka a Sweetroll is a must!

I use a trekking pole for an extra long probe. They collapse down to about a foot in length and most can be outfitted with a spike tip.

A few extra bottles of water.

Small first aid kit.

Wasp spray.

Insect repellent for me. Great for fleas and ticks.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

My little giant ladder. Not only to get on the roof but to get in the attic it can't be beat.Sometimes I've had to remove shelves in a closet to gain access, if it wasn't for the flexiblity of the little giant ladder i wouldn't have made it in or out.

My eye glasses.

An open-minded brain.

One must ... MUST ... use the single most important tool they have for what it was intended and designed for - THINKING about what is HEARD, SEEN, SMELLED, TOUCHED, and TASTED, and ... THINKING about what IS NOT heard, seen, smelled, touched, or tasted.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    An open-minded brain.
    Accessible memory banks.

My hand is a measuring tool, 8" from thumb tip to pinky. It goes everywhere my brain goes, too.

Must haves
    • Vehicle
    • Flashlight
    • GFCI Tester
    • Voltage sniffer with modded antennae
    • Expandable ladder
    • Screwdrivers w/standard and Philips tips
    • Cell phone
    Nice to have
    • Cordless screwdriver
    • Battery powered drill
    • Laser thermometer
    • Inspection mirrors
    • Laser pointer
    • Gas leak detector
    • CO analyzer
    • UL rated metal tape
    • Blue painter's tape (for marking gas leaks)
    • Clamp on voltage meter
    • laptop w/inspection software
    • Moisture meter
    • Digital camera
    • Torpedo level
    • 4 foot level
    Things I wish I had
    • Thermal camera
    • Sewer camera
    • Laser level
    Things I have never needed on an inspection
    • Toilet paper
    • probes
    • expandable poles
    • Video camera
    • Tape measure

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Flashlight for me - propane torch didn't work out so well.

A Respirator.
    Broken bones will heal.
    I've abused my lungs enough in this life.
    And besides, the smell of rat urine makes me gag.
    R

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    My hand is a measuring tool, 8" from thumb tip to pinky.

You've got small hands.

I always thought my hands were small at 9-1/2" tip of pinky to tip of thumb.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"Broken bones will heal."

Something tells me that you have not broken a bone, in your 40's.
    12 years, bothers me EVERY day, hurts many days.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

GPS,
    Can't Inspect What I can't get to.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Accessible memory banks.

My hand is a measuring tool, 8" from thumb tip to pinky. It goes everywhere my brain goes, too.
    John....and being from the west coast....they're webbed. Mine are!

R

curtis vilt Guest

I am new to this site and hope this is the proper place to ask, What kind of re bar detection device do you use and any input on same would be greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by curtis vilt View Post
    I am new to this site and hope this is the proper place to ask, What kind of re bar detection device do you use and any input on same would be greatly appreciated

You are kidding right. I've never known one HI in all my times to have such a tool or a need for one.

curtis vilt Guest

No Rick I'm not kidding. This came up in a discussion with a friend that's doing Wind Mitigation Inspections. He was asked how he verifies rebar placement and roof deck nailing pattern.After a little investigation he found one HI using a detector.(similar to a stud finder) I told him I would ask here.It does make sense to me but I'm just starting in the HI Business and trying to kick the Builder mentality out of my head while going thru the learning process of this Business.I value you input

Curtis,

Again, I've just never heard of anyone using such a tool. I believe when you use such specialized tools you may be setting yourself up of some big liability issues.

Just my opinion.

rick

You've got small hands.

I always thought my hands were small at 9-1/2" tip of pinky to tip of thumb.
    Mine are Canadian inches, Jerry.
    Did you know our 10 gallon hats hold 12 US gallons?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Curtis,

Again, I've just never heard of anyone using such a tool. I believe when you use such specialized tools you may be setting yourself up of some big liability issues.

Just my opinion.

rick

Rick, They're not for standard inspections.

I own one (Zircon MT6) for locating the rebar in CMU walls and other specific tasks (roof sheathing nailing pattern, for example) required for a certain specialized inspection here in Florida.

I never use it for a regular HI job.

Dom.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Rick, They're not for standard inspections.

I own one (Zircon MT6) for locating the rebar in CMU walls and other specific tasks (roof sheathing nailing pattern, for example) required for a certain specialized inspection here in Florida.

I never use it for a regular HI job.

Dom.
    I'll be darned, I thought this was a joke too. Learn something new every day.

Zircon MySafe Florida Home Information

In order to reduce future hurricane vulnerability, Florida homeowners are eligible for a matching-funds grant of up to $5,000 toward improvements that will increase residential wind resistance.
    To qualify, the home must undergo a Mitigation Survey by a qualified contractor or inspector. The survey requires the use of a specialized metal detection tool in order to measure subsurface nail spacing, and the location of rebar in masonry.

curtis vilt Guest

Dom,Thank you that is what I was looking for.

A.D. Miller Guest

This is an absolute must-have accessory for any vehicle -

YouTube - Trunk Monkey Compilation

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I won't go out without my "overbearing parent repellant". I set the speaker up in the back yard and when needed, I press the remote control ON button and it screams "Dad, I need help". Clears the room out every time.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I won't go out without my "overbearing parent repellant". I set the speaker up in the back yard and when needed, I press the remote control ON button and it screams "Dad, I need help". Clears the room out every time.
    NO: In my service area most of the parents, uncles, brothers, etc. who arrive on site are of the Republican persuasion. Most are also very PC and Sunday morning christians. If provoked, I simply start channeling George Carlin or Bill Maher. It never fails to remove the irritants from the premises.

1 Snickers bar - small
    1 can of Monster energy
    (16 oz for under 3000sq ft 32 oz for over)

mark tyson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by curtis vilt View Post
    No Rick I'm not kidding. This came up in a discussion with a friend that's doing Wind Mitigation Inspections. He was asked how he verifies rebar placement and roof deck nailing pattern.After a little investigation he found one HI using a detector.(similar to a stud finder) I told him I would ask here.It does make sense to me but I'm just starting in the HI Business and trying to kick the Builder mentality out of my head while going thru the learning process of this Business.I value you input
    Curtis,
    Zircon MetalliScanner 6.0 or Mt-6 will do both. The Uniform Mitigation verification Ispection Form OIR-B1-1802 requires verification that the home is of reinforced masonry construction and you must check 2 corners and 1 window too confirm that rebar is in place. i know that it sounds ridicuious but that is what happens when the Office of Insurance requlation gets into the construction business

Lightbulb Re: Gotta Have Tool

DIGITAL VOICE RECORDER (2, in case one fails).

Feel extremely vulnerable and liable without. Simply talk to yourself about everything you see (Client gets used to it). Sometimes over 100 messages/ inspection. How many are in my Report?

NEVER have missed writing something down. If it ain't on PAPER, it never happened! In fact you're pretty well guaranteed to forget to write something down if you DON'T use one.

Plus faster - can listen and complete several pages of info in one sitting.

Also great while driving, musing life's innovative ideas, many other times a day. Almost credit card size, a few ounces, and only $40.00

Don't get caught without one!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Beliveau View Post
    I've never had paper notes fail.

I can see why you would want to use two ... at the same time ... so that if one fails you have not lost your entire inspection ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

SB: Three, if you count my Blackberry.

If it ain't on PAPER, it never happened!
    SB: Yep, and if it is not written down, it does not have to be trotted out at depositions.

In fact you're pretty well guaranteed to forget to write something down if you DON'T use one.
    SB: Agreed.

I had one voice recorder recently crap out on me but I didn't realize it until I sat down to complete the report. 87 voice notes of dead air. Something either happened with the recording feature or the speaker but nothing was there. I took plenty of pictures though so I wasn't totally out of luck.

Same thing can happen with any of the equipment we use. I had the bulbs die on two Streamlights during the same inspection and I had no backup bulbs. Can't recall how that one turned out. Once as I was setting up my extension ladder and pulling down on the rope to raise the top section, the rope broke from cumulative exposure to sun. I had to leave my ladder there and run to big orange to get some replacement rope and a rope clamp. The first digital camera I used ate batteries and sometimes left me being really choosy about what I took pictures of in order to save some power.

All of our equipment is subject to failure at one time or another.

A.D. Miller Guest

I had one voice recorder recently crap out on me but I didn't realize it until I sat down to complete the report. 87 voice notes of dead air. Something either happened with the recording feature or the speaker but nothing was there. I took plenty of pictures though so I wasn't totally out of luck.
    NO: I have had that happen a couple of times. That is when you resort to the default wetware.

The voice recorders are great little tools. I used to write everything down on a yellow memo pad and then I saw my doctor recording notes from my visits on a voice recorder. The light bulb went on in my head and I wondered why I wasn't using one too. It's so much more convenient and faster at the inspection. Plus it's funny to listen to my notes and occassionally hear the disgust in my voice as I describe some of the atrocities. Equally amusing is when an unseen dog on the other side of a fence barks at me and and induces a reactionary expletive.

A.D. Miller Guest

The voice recorders are great little tools. I used to write everything down on a yellow memo pad and then I saw my doctor recording notes from my visits on a voice recorder. The light bulb went on in my head and I wondered why I wasn't using one too. It's so much more convenient and faster at the inspection. Plus it's funny to listen to my notes and occasionally hear the disgust in my voice as I describe some of the atrocities. Equally amusing is when an unseen dog on the other side of a fence barks at me and and induces a reactionary expletive.
    NO: They have other uses as well. Because I am walking around for a couple of hours with the recorder in my hand, no one there thinks anything about it. As soon as a seller, agent, or builder starts talking, I turn it on. You would be surprised how many times these recordings have come in handy. I use an Olympus VN-5200PC which I can use to download the recordings to a file on my computer. Seller/agent/builder lies, threats, etc. often get included in the inspection report.

I've got the Olympus as well Aaron, the 6200. It has the capability to download onto my computer but I haven't done that yet or had a need to. When I compleet the report, the voice notes get erased.

When I compleet the report, the voice notes get erased.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    SB: Yep, and if it is not written down, it does not have to be trotted out at depositions.

Not when the notes are disposed of after writing the report, just like with erasing the voice recorder - there is no requirement to keep written notes - either way (written notes or voice recorder notes) the notes are disposed of, leaving only the report to stand on its own ... which it will be required to do anyway if you are being sued.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I've never had paper notes fail.

I've lost them in the far end of the attic, in the middle of summer, and only discovered it after I was back at the access.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Not when the notes are disposed of after writing the report, just like with erasing the voice recorder - there is no requirement to keep written notes - either way (written notes or voice recorder notes) the notes are disposed of, leaving only the report to stand on its own ... which it will be required to do anyway if you are being sued.
    JP: Agreed. I never keep field notes (voice recordings) that are directly related to my inspection. Only those that could be potentially injurious to those who visit my jobsite and make asses of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Only those that could be potentially injurious to those who visit my jobsite and make asses of themselves.

Well, yeah, OF COURSE ... THOSE ... are saved.

I have been known to document those things in THE REPORT.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Well, yeah, OF COURSE ... THOSE ... are saved.

I have been known to document those things in THE REPORT.
    JP: This last December I videoed a builder ranting about how the two of us should be working together to make things easier for us, to the detriment of the buyer. I embeded that sucker in my report. Sweet . . .

Philippe Heller Guest

You have to check out the Panel Pal if you inspect any top-hinged electric panels. It is cheap, and keeps you from resting the panel cover on your head.

Panel Pal - Inspector and electrician tools

One caution: in a lot of places (Illinois, for example) it's illegal to record a conversation without consent of the other party and often the laws have real teeth - the politicians passed them to protect themselves

BTW, one of the discontinued voice recorders I rave about here from time to time is up on eBay (I already have 2 spares)

Panasonic RR-US006 IC voice recorder - eBay (item 260588259728 end time Apr-25-10 14:00:42 PDT)

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe Heller View Post
    You have to check out the Panel Pal if you inspect any top-hinged electric panels. It is cheap, and keeps you from resting the panel cover on your head.

Panel Pal - Inspector and electrician tools

Some one posted that a while ago too, and here is a BIG DRAW BACK to using one of those ... (hint: NO WAY WOULD I USE ONE for this reason) ...

"Anodized Aluminum"

"Aluminum" is CONDUCTIVE and there is no way I would want to use ANYTHING CONDUCTIVE to hold that cover up!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Philippe Heller Guest

Who would stick this or any tool into the panel? I'd rather have a tool take the charge rather than my head. This tool sits firmly to the SIDE of the panel, and unless an inspector was completely careless, and rammed this into the panel, it is nowhere near the energized components.

This tool is really handy on those old panels such as Zinscos, that won't stay open anymore. It holds the cover out of the way so that the dead front can be removed, and the inspector can stand somewhat to the side of the panel, to avoid arcs or potential injury. It works as advertised.

By the way, anodized aluminum is less conductive that bare aluminum or steel.

Ron Bibler Guest

I was thinking about the bar finder. ( bar detection device )

Like the dude needed a drink before his inspection and so he needed a bar finder

So what would that be ?

Best

Ron

Last edited by Ron Bibler; 04-20-2010 at 02:17 AM.

When I find a panel cover that won't stay open, I get my paint pole probe and use it. It's fiberglass. Since I wear a ball cap most of the time outside, I don't mind using my head.

Philippe Heller Guest

You should reconsider unless your baseball cap is made of something other than cloth.

Here's the problem with paint poles; most guys will not take the time to go back to the truck to get it. Since the pole will not fit in your tool pouch, I bet you don't use it most of the time.

I agree that it is much faster to just use your head as a ground rod.

By the way, anodized aluminum is less conductive that bare aluminum or steel.
    "less conductive" as in "still conductive"

A short piece of 2x4, about 5 or 10 minutes with a saber saw, and you would have a nice non-conductive one.

Plastic would be better.

As I said, NO WAY would I stick something conductive like that there to prop the panel cover up. Guess you have never seen the direction things fall when they fall, especially with the dead front cover removed (which is, after all, the reason you would be using it in the first place). I also guess you have never seen an arc flash, because if you had you would not consider using something which is conductive there either ... just in case.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Philippe Heller Guest

The point is that the vast majority of inspectors rest the cover on their head. Probably the most dangerous practice short of standing in a bucket of water. I would bet that the vast majority of inspectors do not use any alternative to using their head.

I would argue that a tool carved from a piece of 2x4, or a paint stick, are actually more likely to slip allowing the cover to fall and shove someone's hand or the dead front into the panel.

By the way the tool is coated in a thick plastic coating over 80 % of the tool, so it is about as exposed as a screwdriver.

There is always a risk with everythig we do - using a ladder, turning on a furnace, walking on a roof etc. We all use tools to help with various tasks and if we work safely, we'll be just fine. No tool is perfect, but I'd say this is a big step in the right direction and provides a safer environment in which to work than without something to hold open the panel. I've completed hundreds of inspections since getting Panel Pal without even a hint of a problem, and I would not give it back.

By the way the tool is coated in a thick plastic coating over 80 % of the tool, so it is about as exposed as a screwdriver.
    And you have never arced welded with a screwdriver in a panel?

There is always a risk with everythig we do ...
    Yep.

And adding risk with using that tool is not something I am going to do or recommend others to do.

It would be a no brainer to make a wood brace shaped like that and which would not slip any more than that one would as it would be using the same forces holding it in place as that one uses.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Philippe Heller Guest

No, I have not arced a screwdriver in the panel. That would not be using best practices to inspect a panel. Why was a screwdriver being inserted into an energized panel? THAT is where a wood tool comes in handy.

Try it. Widdle one out of wood and let us know how it works.

No, I have not arced a screwdriver in the panel. That would not be using best practices to inspect a panel. Why was a screwdriver being inserted into an energized panel? THAT is where a wood tool comes in handy.

Guess you've never done any electrical work, have you?

It would be VERY difficult to tighten screws with a WOOD screwdriver.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Philippe Heller Guest

Having done electrical work is not the issue. I worked for GE Power Systems for nearly 10 years, and SDG&E before that. I know a thing or two about electricity and safety when working around it.

We are talking HOME INSPECTIONS here. Isn't that the theme of this discussion board?

I would fire any of my inspectors if I saw them inserting a screw driver inside the panel. They should only observe the inside of the panel and report what they see. If it is over-stuffed, they just report that. They do NOT poke around, nor dig through the wires with a screw driver. Come on. That's inspection 101.

I would fire any of my inspectors if I saw them inserting a screw driver inside the panel. They should only observe the inside of the panel and report what they see. If it is over-stuffed, they just report that. They do NOT poke around, nor dig through the wires with a screw driver. Come on. That's inspection 101.
    Well heck.. If I ever decide to move to Calif. I guess I won't apply to your company for a job.
    I move wires all the time if I cannot see the ground or nuetral connection, and run my screw driver down every wire at the breaker, even tightened a few screws if the wiring is not damaged.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

We are talking HOME INSPECTIONS here. Isn't that the theme of this discussion board?
    And you have never arced welded with a screwdriver in a panel?

Obviously missing the entire point of the discussion too.

*IF* ... yes, that big *IF* ... *IF* you have ever arced a screwdriver OR ANYTHING you would realize and understand why you do NOT want to stick a piece of METAL up against the side of the enclosure to hold the cover open - ESPECIALLY WHEN THE DEAD FRONT COVER has been removed.

And here I thought you were just be callous about YOUR life, now I find out you are being callous about the lives of your employees!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Philippe Heller Guest

Dan, since you don't have any fear of inserting metal into a live panel, I'd be interested to know how you hold open the panel cover.

Would you consider this tool dangerous? It does not go inside the panel, but is applied prior to opening the dead front.

Jerry, you see by Dan's comments that inspectors do stick metal tools into the panel. If the cover is on Dan's head, he can easily be killed if he contacts an energized component.

The safety of my inspectors is paramount. I take offense that you would suggest otherwise. That is why we use the tool. I'd rather have them use Panel Pal than not. I've seen everything used from bungie cords, paint sticks, paint poles, vice grips, binder clips, etc. Any of those options are feeble at best, or they don't get used because they add a step (going back to the truck). Panel Pal fits in the tool pouch so that it is always handy.

You should try it and then decide before dismissing it.

My favorite low cost tool is my Klein 10 in 1 screw/nut driver. It works for most everything.

The safety of my inspectors is paramount. I take offense that you would suggest otherwise. That is why we use the tool.

Take offense if you feel it helps you feel better, I suggest otherwise BECAUSE you use that METAL tool at an OPEN and EXPOSED electrical panel. Taking offense only indicates that you fail to grasp the gravity of doing what you are having your inspectors do.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Philippe Heller Guest

I do take offense that you pass judgement without knowing anything about how my business is run, our training, or how I treat my inspectors.

You parse everyone's words without addressing the topic. You take personal shots and try to bully everyone on this board. I rarely see any useful input from you.

I believe it is you who takes offense when someone doesn't agree with you. It's interesting that you only critique some people's comments, but you have nothing to say about guys like Dan above who run a metal screw driver along live wires. Interesting.

So Jerry, since you are such an authority, please share how you inspect panels so that the rest of us can do it safely? After all, that is the reason for this message board.

Fortitude to ignore realtors with ethic issues.

The other day I had one suggest that I lie to my client about what time I got there. He wanted me to claim that I had already been there for an hour. I guess he wanted the inspection over quick.

I told him, "I'm gonna be here for at least 3 hours but you can leave whenever you want".

Steven Udelle Guest

Smile Re: Gotta Have Tool

Gunk brand Brake Cleaner Spray! It will snuff out a wasp nest and drop them in mid-flight with no staining or residue as it quickly evaporates. I have had it up to here with nasty-tempered paper wasps! They're not paying any rent you know.

Dave Gilstrap Guest

After inspecting a lot of bank owned homes I am sure glad I had some toilet paper in the truck the other day!!!! And did any of you measure your hands?

Daniel Mummey Guest

Remember, the more you can see, detect, or test for beyond certification, best practices & professional standards the more you can be held responsible for!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast