Paul Johnston Guest

Default septic system (new)

Thought you would enjoy this even through it is a shame the people think this way. I tried to explain to the owner why this will not work and your current system only last 9 months. Answer "this is how we do it in Costa Rica".
    Hole dug 4'X4'X6' long. 4" pipe installed. Then they fill it with boulders, broken cinder blocks or what ever they can find. 2. Cover it with plastic.
    3. cover it up.
    Now you can understand that when you visit Costa Rica signs every where ask you not to throw paper in the toilet. Like that will mater.
    Sorry the photos are not that great. Taken at a distance.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: septic system (new)

NOTE TO SELF: Cancel trip to Costa Rica.

Somehow I doubt if that pit is 100 feet from the nearest well, either.

In sandy soil, that system will work for grey water for quite a while actually. Depends on how much bacon fat you pour into it.

Paul Johnston Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Somehow I doubt if that pit is 100 feet from the nearest well, either.

In sandy soil, that system will work for grey water for quite a while actually. Depends on how much bacon fat you pour into it.
    This is not for just grey water the bathroom goes into it. No tank so the solid waste starts backing up immediately. We do no have municipal water but not sewage.
    This is the system some have been using for decades and will not change.

Holy Crap !!!

Richard Soundy Guest

Paul.

From your pictures, what is that partially seen small slab with PVC pipe to the side of the pit?

Just a matter of curiosity.

Regards - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnston View Post
    This is not for just grey water the bathroom goes into it. No tank so the solid waste starts backing up immediately. We do no have municipal water but not sewage.
    This is the system some have been using for decades and will not change.
    What, they couldn't find a 45 gal drum to throw in there? No wonder they just cover it with poly and a bit of dirt.
    These guys would be better off with outhouses.

Paul Johnston Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Soundy View Post
    Paul.

From your pictures, what is that partially seen small slab with PVC pipe to the side of the pit?

Just a matter of curiosity.

Regards - Richard
    That is just busted concrete they hauled in to fill the hole. No PVC visible.

Richard Soundy Guest

Paul,

Look at Pic 16242d the square piece of cement with what I believe is a PVC vent pipe. In third world countries this is typical of an in-ground tank - fairly deep hole containing maggot's not bacteria. Produces a lot of foul smelling methane, hence the vent is located high. Overflow will go into a leach field (in other countries they call it a "French" drain) just as shown in your picture.

A camera view never tells the story and eye view tells all. Your eye view far out-ways my personal assumptions, I may be completely wrong!

All the best - Richard

Paul Johnston Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Soundy View Post
    Paul,

Look at Pic 16242d the square piece of cement with what I believe is a PVC vent pipe. In third world countries this is typical of an in-ground tank - fairly deep hole containing maggot's not bacteria. Produces a lot of foul smelling methane, hence the vent is located high. Overflow will go into a leach field (in other countries they call it a "French" drain) just as shown in your picture.

A camera view never tells the story and eye view tells all. Your eye view far out-ways my personal assumptions, I may be completely wrong!

All the best - Richard
    Hey Richard,
    What you are seeing is the back porch roof support and not a vent. The septic is 3' from the porch and when it rains it floods the porch.

Speaking from a past experience; that tree on the left (nearby), is just licking he's chops, er,a, roots.
    Bob Smit, County EI

Paul Johnston Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bob smit View Post
    Speaking from a past experience; that tree on the left (nearby), is just licking he's chops, er,a, roots.
    Bob Smit, County EI
    The whole thing is wrong and a waste of time and money. It can not work.
    During the rainy season it will fill with water and flood the back porch. They only put 4" - 5" of dirt back
    Paul

Paul Johnston Guest

The whole thing is wrong and a waste of time and money. It can not work.
    During the rainy season it will fill with water and flood the back porch. They only put 4" - 5" of dirt back
    Paul
    Update on septic system. Installed in Feb and has now failed. They were out there yesterday trying to wash the problem away with a garden hose.

Update on septic system. Installed in Feb and has now failed. They were out there yesterday trying to wash the problem away with a garden hose.
    It sounds like that was the plan all along. .

It's working out to a couple of easy days per year, till a hurricane spreads the whole shebang out again.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca