Don Burbach Guest

Default Advertising in a Real Estate Brokerage Home Buyer's / Relocation Guide

I am being invited to place an ad in a local real estate brokerage's Buyers / Relocation Guide. A modest fee(three inspections) is charged that offsets the cost of printing the guide which is a slick color 32 page booklet with one ad per service category. In exchange, I get favorable referrals from their agents.

Have others had experience with this type of advertising? I can think of many pros and cons and would like to get a consensus of experience from those that have tried it. Was it successful, or why do you think it did not work?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Advertising in a Real Estate Brokerage Home Buyer's / Relocation Guide

I have not tried it, but have been approached with it several times.
    Sounds about the same as phone book covers, which I did try, ONCE.

Always the same pitch:
    "As an outstanding business, you were selected to...."
    I don't call it "Advertising".

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: Advertising in a Real Estate Brokerage Home Buyer's / Relocation Guide

How many times have you sat down and looked at a 30+ page booklet of ads and actually used one of the advertisers?

When I get something like that I normally throw it away. I'd rather spend my advertising budget on trade shows where I can talk to the agent face to face and give them my pitch and business card.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burbach View Post
    I am being invited to place an ad in a local real estate brokerage's Buyers / Relocation Guide. A modest fee(three inspections) is charged that offsets the cost of printing the guide which is a slick color 32 page booklet with one ad per service category. In exchange, I get favorable referrals from their agents.
    Is this what they told you or inferred?

If they have never referred you before, how do the favorable referrals work?

Sounds suspiciously like pay to play which is illegal in many locations and unethical (IMHO) everywhere.
    Besides that, the magazine is calling to get your money. If it really worked, you would have heard about it and would be seeking them out.
    Run, Forest, Run!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

The only reason I've ever done these things is if an agent that has sent me a lot of referrals asks or if I think there is possibly a new line of referrals might be involved (mortgage brokers or agents that advertise in the same publication, etc). The advertising itself is useless from what I've found.

HEY ALL

i did this last year--signed on for three years {$750} only inspector in folder--and a folder it is--agents give all the paper work in transaction to their client in this folder and recommend using vendors.

my business was up 13% last year with all the new agents not having an inspector using me--best year in my seven years inspecting--this year up 7% already. results speak loudly

so i say go for it--if it doesn't work--oh well

charlie

Charlie may be the only person that has made any money from these types of advertising.
    Over the years I have tried several of these type of advertising, and just about every single one has not paid for itself.

Have others had experience with this type of advertising? I can think of many pros and cons and would like to get a consensus of experience from those that have tried it. Was it successful, or why do you think it did not work?

I get that same call about twice a year. All they do is call vendors till they get a hit. It never hurts to get your name out and around town, but I can think of better ways. How is your website doing?

FYI, agents are under no requirement to refer folks in the ads.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Phillip Smith Guest

I tried it in my younger days and still get calls wanting me to do it. It did not work for the amount of money you put in it.

The agents want you and the other vendors to pay for their folders or other items which most of the time they don't get till closing.

When I got the call, I talked to a couple of agents I know pretty well. The folders are usualy handed out at the closing.

Kind of late for my service!

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Don,

I invested about 750.00 once years ago in such a magazine with the promise of those "referral's".

What did I get for it?

Not one fugggin call.

Throw that money out of your truck window, so at least you know where it went.

rick