Default Anyone charge extra for foreclosures ?

Anyone charge extra for foreclosures ? I never have but feel like I should most of the time they involve extra work.

Gene

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Anyone charge extra for foreclosures ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post
    Anyone charge extra for foreclosures ? I never have but feel like I should most of the time they involve extra work.

Gene
    I don't. After doing 4 wantta be contractor flips this week, I sure am thinking about charging extra for the flips that are all prettied up with new floor coverings, and paint

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gene South View Post

Gene

I don't but always know it is worth much more than the standard home for sale. They are either poorly covered up or just simply nasty and take longer on the inspection and much longer in the report.

Sadly enough you cannot get more for most of them because most of the time the folks either price shop to death or they decide they won't get one if they believe it cost to much.

Some may say charge more and if you don't get them then it wasn't worth it anyway. I say a 1500 square foot slab is looked at by the buyer as a 1500 sf slab they will pretty much get the best price they can or the normal price hard sold.

It is definitely a tougher market out there. I pretty much take what I can get but used to be a bit picky. I still really do not let up on crawls because of the shear hate factor I have for them. If I do not get them then I say to myself that it just was not worth it to barter.

I did a 1967 home in Burleson the other day. I knew that if I tried to get extra I would not have gotten the inspection. Man........I should have charged a hundred more as every 1960s home in Burleson was always a mess like this was.

No matter what everone else says, my experience with lowering price was you get all the crap out there. I have not lowered much but hard sell and then slightly discount. Everytime I do I get the gems of the inspection world.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

The market up here is heavy on 1st time buyers and bank foreclosures. Not exactly the demographic of buyer that has a lot of money to burn. Rarely do I make what I think I should after inspecting foreclosures. I've thought about bumping up the fee for them after looking at a dump but it's to hard to think about what I can say on the phone to a caller that will convince them they should pay me more to look at a house that may or may not be littered with defects.

We charge by the square foot, it doesn't matter if it's foreclosed or not.

I've often wondered about the inspectors who charge by the selling price. It seems in these times the cheaper the selling price, the longer and nastier the inspection.

Maybe we should all charge by the selling price. The lower the selling price the higher the inspection fee?

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Ron Bibler Guest

85% of my inspection are trash home... I just about take my pick list 450 pages and post that as my report. L.O.L.

Best

Ron

Tom Camp Guest

Gene
    I don't charge any extra for foreclosures, it is hard to justify charging extra because some times the houses or condos have been kept in good repair. Not all people who loose their jobs and go into foreclosure are slobs or purposefully destroy a property. IMHO

Tom Camp
    Colorado Springs - Home Inspections, Commercial Inspections, Radon Inspections, Mold Inspections
    Inspections Done Right.jpg
    Inspections Done Right

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

An option would be to charge more upfront in your quote but knock a few bucks off at the end come payment time if the house was not littered with problems and you don't have to write a report the length of War and Peace. I wouldn't advise anybody upfront that there could be the possibility of a discount if the house is in good shape for a foreclosure. They might expect it regardless of the condition of the house.

tyronbm Guest

Most of the foreclosures I inspect have no power or water on. If I am only inspecting the structure, I knock $50 off. I usually still visually look at main electrical panel and HVAC equipment. If they want me to come back, additional $125. This is usually 30 - 45 minutes to test plumbing, electrical, and HVAC system. Most foreclosure buyers understand there are going to be repairs needed. They are wanting to know about the big ticket items, ie. structural damage, HVAC replacement, roof, etc.

It seems as though I'm the one who pays each time I do one of these foreclosures.

Figure in the time and pay, I'd been better off picking up the cans on the road on the way.

Each one of them turns into a coffee table book type report.

rick