Randy King Guest

Default Awl & Extension Pole

So inspecting in Minnesota at this time of the year isn't always the easiest thing, especially trying to probe items on the outside of the house safely while being on a ladder, so I am curious if anyone knows of an awl or probe that has a long pole, extension pole whatever you want to call it. I have checked the boards, google and can't seem to find a single item meant for HI's that has an extension pole or a long pole. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Awl & Extension Pole

Why not use a telescoping paint pole that has a threaded end. Make your own probe from a paint roller frame and screw it in place as needed?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Shur-Line makes paint rollers and extension poles.

Currently they have one that is red and black. "The Easy Reach" In the closed position it is 30", while in the maximum open position it is 60". The also sell a paint roller in the matching color scheme.

The extension pole extends in roughly 8 inch increments. The pole is 3 sections hidden inside itself. You mash the button and pull it apart. No twisting or accidental collapsing. The pole extends out from the middle so both ends move away from the grab handle. Looks Kinda Ninjia cool the way it extends.

Pole is $20 and the roller is $7. With tax about $30 at Lowes.

Saw the end of the roller off the frame. You can either sharpen the end of the metal rod for probing or leave it flat. Use it to probe eves and test smoke detectors.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Randy King Guest

Bruce, it looks like you might have done this already? If so how is it working for you?

I have been using a 5' broom stick/paint pole for the last few years. Works great for testing smoke detectors. The fixed 5' length was just a hassle to carry around.

I just switched over to the extension model this week. I usually probe with my finger or a screwdriver. State SOP says I have to probe suspected areas of deterioration. So if I don't suspect I don't probe. Guess what, everytime I suspect and probe, there is rot.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

I found a long extension paint pole somewhere, took an old paint roller frame, cut it off and ground the end to a point. I have been using this thing for several years. It probably extends 8' or so. Cost to me??? Zero