Roger Frazee Guest

Default Something different for the forum

Thought I would share something with all of you that I was asked to come take a look at today. So I think I'll start this story by posting a couple pictures of this piece of equipment and see if anyone can guess for what it is used. Then I'll give more details and pictures.

No Jerry ... it isn't something you troll offshore to attract sharks....

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Something different for the forum

That's easy. They use those on the prairies at the drive-in movies so people can plug in their block heaters.

Roger Frazee Guest

Hi John

Nope but that ain't a bad idea.... I'll probably leave this open till tomorrow evening then if someone doesn't guess what this is I'll fill in the blanks.

To add a teaser ... this was supplied as a rental to the customer who needed it.

They are used as portable power at "events" (music or whatever),notice the camlock connectors on the back of the panel? Those are used to supply power to the panel.

That GE panel hinges seem to have seen better days by the looks of the replacement piano hinge.

Michael Garrity Guest

As mentioned above it is a portable panel for event use or construction site use.

James Kiser Guest

Portable service hooks up to generator

MaMa Mount Guest

Has this guy never heard of a picture resizer. I hate it when someone post pictures within there post like this cause it makes if difficult to read.
    When I was a roadie for Ted Nugent we used portable panels like those all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MaMa Mount View Post
    ... I hate it when someone post pictures within there post like this cause it makes if difficult to read....
    Yeah. It's reely anoyying when sumone makes there poste har to reed.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Roger Frazee Guest

A picture with the cover removed.....

Last edited by Roger Frazee; 02-25-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Geeze, I havent been on here hardly at all in the past year, and one of the first posts I look out Mama rears her **** head.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Ted Menelly Guest

MaMa Mount the rodie

You know what ticks me off to no end is a man pretending to be a woman on a home inspection forum.

Yes...Ole Tony Mount has screwed up on many occasion and been bagged for who he/she really is but insists on playing Mama Mount.

Then the only thing we hear is about something he doesn't like about someone else. This is about the worst identity issue I have ever seen. I wonder if Tony inspects in a dress?

Roger

There is nothing wrong with your post or pictures. I personally would rather have them like that so you don't have to click on them to blow them up. Great pics!

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post
    Well Ted (or is it Teddy) it's no worse than a woman pretending to be a man.
    Ouch !!!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Roger Frazee Guest

Ok I see I wasn't paying attention to what the motive was for mama's post.

So to redo the post

Rollie wins the prize he was the first correct reply. and yes the piano hinge is a nice touch...

When I first walked up on this equipment I wanted to see it with the cover off.

These are some of the problems I pointed out. These are all shown in the attached pictures.

1.) Metal cabinet not bonded to the grounding bar.
    2.) Thin copper ribbon wrapped around power conductors where they terminated into the lugs including the neutral conductor.
    3.) Knockouts for the two 4x4 boxes at the left and right of the panel top did not have clamps for the nm-b and the sharp edge has cut thru the outer sheath and about half way into the grounded leg of the 4x4 on the top left.I didn't capture a picture of this.

When the customer returned this for corrections they installed a machine screw thru the bonding hole in the ground bar that was too small and instead of threading it into the bonding hole they lock washered and put a nut on the back side. They also said this wasn't necessary but would do it to make them happy. They would not remove the copper ribbon around the power conductors as this was required to properly secure the wire in the lug ... jeeez

They did install new nm-b to the top 4x4's and used nonmetallic snap in clamps in the knockouts.

Anyway my advice was to return the equipment and spend the dollars for a 200 amp professionally made portable entertainment 'distro' cabinet. They are expensive ( $1700.00 ) but the customer is starting a stage lighting entertainment business so money well spent. They decided to do that and it should be in overnight delivery. I'll post a picture of it later. Anyway here are the pictures again as originally posted.

In the picture showing the grounding bar .. the machine screw used to bond the cabinet is just under the robertson screws. The empty hole at the bottom is where they removed the bonding strap to the other neutral bar when they separated the ground from the neutral for a 4 wire feed. This panel has been used in dozens of events with the metal enclosure not bonded before they were asked to do so yesterday.

Last edited by Roger Frazee; 02-25-2010 at 11:41 AM.