Default thermostat wiring splice

Is it OK to have AC condenser control wiring and thermostat wiring splices exposed without a juction box. If so, would you at least recommend securing them better with electrical tape?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by cory wright; 02-25-2010 at 02:49 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: thermostat wiring splice

It is ugly but I know of no requirement for low voltage splices t be in a box.
    Tape it if you want but that does not "secure" it. Electrical tape is meant to insulate, it has no "structural" value.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Nothing can stop you from reporting it and suggesting an improvement. Just make sure when you do it that you don't use the same emphasis you would on normal house current wiring.

For instance, bad or exposed splices in 120v wiring can be a hazard for fire and electrical shock. The low voltage control wiring will not present those kind of hazards, usually.

Of coarse, if the splices fail the HVAC system wont work. So, there is certainly nothing wrong with suggesting an improvement. You just want to keep the alarmist level down on it.

There is nothing to report.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

David Bell Guest

As long as the doorbell doesn't ring when the A/C starts you are OK

brianmiller Guest

I'll write them up as a defect if I see them laying inside of the auxiliary catch pan, or if they are laying across the walkpath.

Low voltage, no big deal on that end. I would write up securing the wiring. Explain to the client if those wires come apart the AC won't work. Also tell them if they aren't handy, the AC tech will come out and charge a few hundred to fix it. They'll think you are a genius and love you for it.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Darrell Udelhoven Guest

First, make sure the splice is made properly for good solid conduction.

Even 24-Volt circuits should be well insulated.

After a heavy rain if you grabbed that live open circuit you could possibly receive a shock sufficient to cause a heart rhythm problem.

Standing in water barefooted or with soaked shoes, 24-voltage could potentially kill some people.

I would think an inspector should carry electrical code-tape & fix the possible hazard.

If I were already on an A/C call I wouldn't charge for fixing that problem. - Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    As long as the doorbell doesn't ring when the A/C starts you are OK

On the other hand that might be an energy saving idea. If the furnace kick on and off too often you would know about it.

Then again your neighbor bringing cookies over may be left standing at the door.

Smile Re: thermostat wiring splice

Recommend taping the splices tightly and secure to tubing with zip ties

This installation pictured is regulated by code for protection and integrity of the cable itself along with proper separation from conductors that are not class 1,2, and 3.

Relating to the open splice, I would write under 110.3(A)(8) which is subject to obvious damage of the cable's integrity.
    Normally, the splice would be made in a protected area between the roof rafters or on a rafter/truss tie with a wood block for protection.
    Of course there is 110.12 mechanical execution as already stated and 300.4(d) also applies.
    Bob Smit, County EI

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Udelhoven View Post
    I would think an inspector should carry electrical code-tape & fix the possible hazard.
    The inspector should NEVER FIX ANYTHING.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Darrell Udelhoven Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The inspector should NEVER FIX ANYTHING.
    I stand corrected Jerry; I'm an HVAC/R man without knowledge of what an inspector is allowed do.

Only write it up, right... I guess I intuitively knew that.

Last edited by Darrell Udelhoven; 02-26-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Only write it up, right...