Default Whats the window set back from a wall?

Looking for a set back for this.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Whats the window set back from a wall?

Is that a reflection on the glass and is that at a corner? Trying to figure out what is shown.

If that is a mechanical intake, probably nothing addresses it, and exhaust may be different, depending on various conditions.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Marc
    I understand your question to be;
    How far off (away from ) the corner should a window be?
    Any distance is allowed.

Jerry
    Is that a reflection on the glass and is that at a corner? Trying to figure out what is shown.
    What I see is:
    Looking through the glass into the room I see 3 skylights,
    I see an attic gable vent in the reflection on the glass
    This is an inside corner. With the wall as one side of the corner and the window as the other.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

No i think you are looking thru the glass Jerry. Thanks Rick, I had a senior moment, I couldnt remember if there was one. I guess it's back to the Geritol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Marc
    I understand your question to be;
    How far off (away from ) the corner should a window be?
    Any distance is allowed.

Jerry
    What I see is:
    Looking through the glass into the room I see 3 skylights,
    I see an attic gable vent in the reflection on the glass
    This is an inside corner. With the wall as one side of the corner and the window as the other.
    Rick, I'm impressed! I thought it might be an E.C. Escher drawing .

I think the question is "how far should the window be set into the wall from the face of the wall?"

It looks a little ghetto to me.

Thats crazy, It looks like hard coat stucco into the glass, I'd be curious to how they flashed that inside corner. The reflection is wild as if you can see the sky lite on the inside and the vent from the perpendicular wall

Daniel Mummey Guest

It just so happens to be within an interior wall? Is this an eye exam?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Looking for a set back for this.
    I would call it out as bad practice, prone to leakage, not to mention butt-ugly.

That corner catches wind, and any wind-driven rain will be forced between the stucco and the window frame. It is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Ehrhardt View Post
    The reflection is wild as if you can see the sky lite on the inside and the vent from the perpendicular wall

Glad I'm not the only one seeing that.

I asked: "Is that a reflection on the glass and is that at a corner?", the answer would be (if I am reading Marc's reply correctly) 'Yes, that is a reflection of the vent and you are seeing skylights through the window. Oh, yes, that is at a corner.'

Regarding the window distance from the corner - the only requirement is that necessary for proper installation and flashing around the window ... meaning ... it depends on the window.

Regarding the window leaking as installed at that corner - it is no more likely to leak than any other window installation as it all depends on proper installation and flashing ... or lack thereof ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

It could depend on a host of other factors we do not know. Among other things, the height and length of the walls, their construction, etc.

IIRC, most, if not ALL of California is considered "seismic", but which zone would this be in. We do not know the height, length, or construction of either intersecting exterior wall, nor if either or both are load bearing - i.e. shear, uplift factors. We also do not know if they are anchored properly, upon what (another wall(s), floors, slabs, or footings) nor if one or the other wall was a later addition to the original structure and/or foundation.

We also do not know if the window containing wall structure continues (in) beyond what we see at the exterior junction: it would appear that it does and terminates to support inside of the perpendicular exterior wall structure based on the view through the window to the open ceiling.

IIRC only the latest CBC cycle (07 - Title 24) addresses by two new portions with requirements for inspecting for proper flashings and that building exteriors be water shedding (resist water intrusion) and create an overall "weather-resistive wall envelope".

It is difficult to be sure, but it appears the window is an operable one with the farthest panel from the junction being the one to operate towards the junction as a slider. If an egress window more details would be needed regarding clearances. IIRC the latest CBC still requires only two feet from the finished floor/built-in to not require a guard.

From the apparent size and location to inside corner IIRC safety glass likely would be required due to potential horizontal stresses in seismic event causing breakage.

Andrew Christel Guest

The window is ok it looks like the stucco was not finished correctly...

Yea, that's it, blame the stucco. Might I venture to say that the window was probably installed first??

Here we go again, diagnosing the problem based on a lousy photo. Please, please, get a decent 35mm camera, they make them in digital now, with a zoom lens, if your ladder shy, and get pics that show detail for christs' sake.

I'm a dyslexic agnostic-Don't believe there is a dog...

Andrew Christel Guest

Existing building with an addition.Piece of j-molding would have finished that corner off real nice.