Default Stainless steel and earth contact

I came across this condition and would like to know if there is a concern here.

This is stainless steel triple wall stove pipe in contact with the earth.

I dug down a few inches and did not see any deterioration.

The second photo (close up) appears to indicated rust/deterioration, but that is only a refection.

Thanks for your comments.

Chip

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

David Bell Guest

Default Re: Stainless steel and earth contact

triple wall stainless is not a zero clearance chimney,as such the siding ,window, conduit and ground clutter all are in a code violation, not to mention a cleanout required at a change of direction.

Cool factory chimney in earth contact

This does not look like triple walled chimney to me. It looks more like Simpson Dura-Vent's Dura Tech double walled solid packed chimney to me. It is not listed or approved for direct burial in the soil. It must have a listed tee support. It must have ready access to the cleanout below. It must have a 2" clearance, which includes maintaining an airspace around the chimney.

I have never seen a zero clearance chimney. Can you provide pics or a link to a brand?
    TIA,
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

I will take more pictures and post them soon.

Chip

Smile mopics

Chip, each section should have a listing sticker. Also, try to get a pic of the termination.
    Thx,.
    bob

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I don't want to get too far afield here, but I'm seeing what I presume to be a slightly older basement with a replacement (read: reduced window opening) slider (bi-pass) window opening now even further restricted/obstructed.

We have windows/glazing/operable requirements for a reason. Air/ventillation, natural light, oh yes and of course more recently (for an old guy like me) expanded upon requirements for egress.

Not that its relevant to your intended topic, etc, but on another note, just what is in the conduit? Telephone?

Snowfall in your zone? Just curious as this looks bad on so many levels, someof which already expanded upon in other posts.

Not acceptable. Water may easily leak in at the joint in contact with soil, thus rusting from inside out due to carbonic acid.

David Bell Guest

Default Re: factory chimney in earth contact

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    This does not look like triple walled chimney to me. It looks more like Simpson Dura-Vent's Dura Tech double walled solid packed chimney to me. It is not listed or approved for direct burial in the soil. It must have a listed tee support. It must have ready access to the cleanout below. It must have a 2" clearance, which includes maintaining an airspace around the chimney.

I have never seen a zero clearance chimney. Can you provide pics or a link to a brand?
    TIA,
    Bob
    There are no zero clearance manufactured chimneys, but there are 1" clearance chimneys. see att Page Not Found / Metal-Fab, Inc. link

David Bell Guest

broken link, sorry

Cool factory chimney listed at 1" clearance?

David, they make all sorts of factory chimney at Metal Fab. Can you look online and advise which model/ size?
    TIA,
    Bob

Here are the additional photos.

Chip

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Kevin Harrison Guest

Chip, I agree with Raymond's thoughts that water could eventually leak into the joints. Also, I read one of Selkirks documents on their "Ultra SS" chimney which appears similar and that has a 2" clearance to combustibles. This is the link for the Metalbestos site Selkirk: Ultra-Temp 5'' - 14'' . That buried section, at least, has some issues that need rectifing.
    Kevin
    Harrison Home Inspections - Vancouver Home Inspectors, Vancouver House Inspectors

Cool Re: Stainless steel and earth contact

That's why it looked like DT--because the required locking bands are missing. This chimney requires either locking bands or stainless screws at each joint. Notice how the chimney is crooked--that's partially due to the sloppy joints. Also note the top section is of a different material. This is possibly of another brand. If it wasn't so uniformly discolored, I'd be more concerned about a chimney fire. I would check that cap closely to see if that was the mfrs cap and mesh. Sometimes they install these on woodstoves without the mesh because they gunk up so quickly. Later, after a squirrel or bird gets in, the homeowner or chimney sweep may wrap hardware cloth around it meaning well.Unfortunately, this voids the warranty and listing as it restricts venting. The shingles are most likely too close since those wall bands typically allow only for a 2" clearance. You cannot mortar a chimney section in for the breaching---it must use the listed thimble to allow for thermal expansion. Thimbles can implode upon themselves when cemented in like this so it, too voids the warranty and listing. Again, cannot be buried, in direct contact with soil, must maintain 2" airspace even to dirt, and cleanout cap must be accessible. Tee support missing.

Any pics of the stove and that top section of chimney compared to the rest?
    Thx,
    Bob

David Bell Guest

sorry about the links,,metal fab makes pic vent a stainless high pressure and temp vent that has a ceramic insulation and a air gap around the outer wall, it has a 1" clearance Pic stands for Pressurized Industial Chimney

Smile Re: Stainless steel and earth contact

That's what I thought you were referring to. This is factory chimney for solid fuel applications listed to UL 103HT. This brand has it listed at 1.5" up to 8" diameter then 2" thereafter like the rest of the industry. They did this because the extra wall thickness at these diameters does not require cutting and reframing. Just trying to compare apples to apples.
    Thx,
    Bob

Here are more photos.

Thanks to all who visited and posted. Your information is priceless.

Chip Roberson

That cap is listed for chimney liner--not factory chimney, thus it is improper and must be replaced with the listed termination.

I would like to know what that top section is and is it the same brand and model as the rest of the chimney.

Is that wall and floor all non-combustible?

If that is a factory chimney breaching, it is improper if it is mortarted into place.

Thx for sharing.
    Bob

Are we concerned at all about the breach to the block foundation wall for the brick chimney/fireplace above this stove? First picture in 2nd to last array looks like its leaning.

The breaching should use the mfrs. thimble even if it is a noncombustible CMU wall. The pipe needs room for thermal expansion.

Too many questions on this that cannot be determined over the internet. See Level II inspection.
    Bob

Thanks for confirming required thimble, BH.