Thread: Double Tap

Default Double Tap

Have never seen this before. There are obvious double taps at the main lugs in main service panel but what got me was the in line fuses to circiut in garage. Those red round things in lines are actual fuses because they didn't want to run this circuit to the distribution panel in house. Has anyone ever seen this before. I wrote it up to have a electrcian look at it. Just thought you'd all like to see.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Roger Frazee Guest

Default Re: Double Tap

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Have never seen this before. There are obvious double taps at the main lugs in main service panel but what got me was the in line fuses to circiut in garage. Those red round things in lines are actual fuses because they didn't want to run this circuit to the distribution panel in house. Has anyone ever seen this before. I wrote it up to have a electrcian look at it. Just thought you'd all like to see.

You sound like you are aware of the codes issues with that installation. I wouldn't write it up to be looked at by anyone. I'd write it to be fixed....period..

Those edison fuses are installed in lamp sockets btw....

I'm not quite understanding why they installed the fuses that way under one lug....do you have a picture how they are terminated just to satisfy my curiousity.

Roger, Do you mean where they terminate on other end? They are for all circuits in garage and yes I did ask it be repaired not just looked at.

Roger Frazee Guest

Ok, Tom

I understand now what they are doing.... I confess I've never seen anyone do what you have there ...

Where are the black and red conductors going that look to be # 6's?

Good one, Tom! Yes I have seen that before. An electrician buddy told me that trick, fuse in a lamp socket, back in '79.
    Of course it is wrong and unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Frazee View Post
    Those edison fuses are installed in lamp sockets btw....
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    fuse in a lamp socket,

Let's see ... a 15 amp fuse in a socket rated for a 60 watt lamp, maybe rated for a 100 watt lamp ... that would make it a 15 amp fuse in a lampholder rated for 1 amp or so.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Roger Frazee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Let's see ... a 15 amp fuse in a socket rated for a 60 watt lamp, maybe rated for a 100 watt lamp ... that would make it a 15 amp fuse in a lampholder rated for 1 amp or so.
    Yep, .... not sure but I believe red is 20 amp.

Yep, .... not sure but I believe red is 20 amp.

And an Edison base lamp holder with a blown fuse and a penny in it is ... amps?

Wonder what the "fusible link" rating is for those lampholder wires?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Roger Frazee Guest

And an Edison base lamp holder with a blown fuse and a penny in it is ... amps?

Wonder what the "fusible link" rating is for those lampholder wires?

Yeah you just have to laugh at this kind of craziness but look at the positives they surely used the rejection adapter to get that fuse in the lamp socket so that nobody would come along and over fuse the circuit....

Last edited by Roger Frazee; 03-02-2010 at 06:42 PM.

they surely used the rejection adapter

Looks like a regular Edison base fuse to me ...

The positive aspect of what they did was to keep it all contained within the service equipment panel behind the dead front cover ... thinking ahead to containing the fire/molten metal.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Roger Frazee Guest

Looks like a regular Edison base fuse to me ...

The positive aspect of what they did was to keep it all contained within the service equipment panel behind the dead front cover ... thinking ahead to containing the fire/molten metal.
    You could be right upon a closer look it does appear to have a regular base but if the fuse has the rejection threads they had to screw the adapter in first .. anyway was just adding some humor as you know. I'll say this though home inspectors come across stuff I never thought anyone would do ... or I should say hoped they never would do....

Roger, The conductors you asked about are to the GFCI breaker/disconnect for a hot tub, you can see the top of box in picture to right.

Roger Frazee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    Roger, The conductors you asked about are to the GFCI breaker/disconnect for a hot tub, you can see the top of box in picture to right.
    Jeez... now your starting to scare me. If the same people did the hot tub that installed those fuses I'd be a little skittish about taking a soak....