mathew stouffer Guest

Default Ceiling in utility room

This has been discussed before,although I could not seem to locate the thread. Can there be openings in the utility room ceiling. There was living space above this area. House was built in 07

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: Ceiling in utility room

The ceiling/floor assembly/separation should be at a minimum draftstopped. Cannot see enough nor know enough of the circumstances to determine if any possibly required fireblocking has also been compromised. Appears outside wall lower level with fuel-fired appliances are present, unknown but assume using outside DV air for combustion (two PVC vents).

Unknown if single family free-standing residence or multi-family (condo, townhome) or some other (commercial, mixed use) occupancy. Not clear if this utility room serves the living space above either (i.e. rated floor/ceiling assembly).

Taping & muding marks and rough cut ceiling void edge: appears to have been a complete assembly at some time - now missing ceiling sections.

Not pleased with PVC supports or Gas (black pipe) supports, which was apparently the reason the HVAC or Plumber hacked the ceiling in the first place. See Pex exposed in ceiling cavity, should be protected from UV (light spectrum) and sunlight I believe.

Here is one of many topic posts on the subject of draftstopping and fireblocking:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...quirement.html

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-02-2010 at 01:50 PM. Reason: forgot to insert link

David Bell Guest

If the room is designated a mechanical room and is attached to a mechanical chase that is firestopped from the living space it could be allowed,. Pictures don't show enough to support this theory.

From the limited view shown, it looks like it needs to be fireblocked at that ceiling level.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Sorry about the pics, I could not access the area. Above the missing drywall is strand board sub floor. This is a single family home built in 2007. The furnace is a high efficieny and there is also a high efficiency boiler in the room.