Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default re: Extensive mold in crawl space

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hronek View Post
    I doubt the lender would agree to lend on a house that has yet to be remediated. Of course with all the breaking of leading rules the unscrupulous would try to find a way around it.

If the house is worth X without mold then let the seller put it in that condition and not try to hide it and pass it on to someone else. Any repairs should be done following EPA protocols. Bring in a mold guy and have it looked at. If he says that tearing off the roof is the cheaper and acceptable method then do that.

I have not read every post but it seems as the buyer is just asking that it be done correctly. It is in the sellers best interest to do the repairs and be done with it. I say that because as it sits he has a buyer waiting to purchase at what he thinks is a reasonable price. If he doesn't follow through with the sale and wants to sell it with the mold then he must disclose it to everyone else. When he does this he will find that any future buyers will not be able to get conventional financing. Basically its unsaleable expect to an investor at a deep discount. IF he holds out and later decides to do the repairs his property may have a stigma from being on the market to long. In this cause he will have lost time and money. It's the seller's problem, let him deal with the uncertainty and cost.
    Robert,

We don't know if anything needs to be Re mediated.
    OFFICE OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
    His Great State of Maryland recommends simple cleanup, 1 cup of bleach in a gallon of water.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 03-12-2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: 1/4 to 1 cup
    Crawl Space Creeper
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    The wood needs to be dried out, too.
    Billy would come over and help if he wasn't so far away.
    (Insert flamethrower pic here.)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

rich harris Guest

Talking re: Extensive mold in crawl space

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    The wood needs to be dried out, too.
    Billy would come over and help if he wasn't so far away.
    (Insert flamethrower pic here.)
    I wouldn't let Mr. Sourpuss inspect my dog's house. I would also have problems with the State of Tenn. especially mountain men walking around telling visitors they have pretty mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Robert,

We don't know if anything needs to be Re mediated.
    OFFICE OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
    His Great State of Maryland recommends simple cleanup, 1/4 cup of bleach in a gallon of water.
    That is why you need a mold tester to tell you the extent of the mold damge and what should be done. Given the mold I would assume a lender would require some type of repair. By appraisal guidelines the appraiser is required to note a possible adverse condition. The underwriter will then likely requre that the contamination and damage - if any- be taken care of before a loan is funded. Mold is an indicator of another problem and mold is decay.

The OP states extensive mold and the inspector recommened ripping the roof off. I dont think it was the inspectors job to recommend a new roof as a remedy. He might say I have seen roofs with mold like this replaced, etc. Unless you are an expert in an area you should not be giving expert advice. The proper thing is to encourage them to get an expert's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rich harris View Post
    I wouldn't let Mr. Sourpuss inspect my dog's house. I would also have problems with the State of Tenn. especially mountain men walking around telling visitors they have pretty mouths.
    I'm Not Available.
    * Inspection Wise or The Other Offer.

rich harris Guest

I'm Not Available.
    * Inspection Wise or The Other Offer.
    Well little Willie Sourpuss I have some great news for you. My agent called me this evening to inform me that the seller has agreed to handle the mold problem at their expense and allow me too choose what needs to be done along with selecting who will do the work as long as as it doesn't exceed 15k. So Mr. Puss I've decided that we do need a new roof and it will be easy to do the remediation at the same time. I had already had a quote of appx 15k from one company to do the work but I will get 2 more estimates and then decide. I forgot to also add that this includes paying for air samples before and after the work is done. Oh gee whiz or is it cheez wiz or wiz golly gee or whatever Mr. puss always says I'm so happy and I didn't have to sue. I want to thank everyone for their help except the idiot with the bad sense of humor. I do welcome any advice you may have from this point. I'm still nervous about the process but you all made me feel a lot more comfortable. I know they'll find the cause and find a solution to prevent it in the future. I just want my family safe and protected.

Well little Willie Sourpuss I have some great news for you. My agent called me this evening to inform me that the seller has agreed to handle the mold problem at their expense and allow me too choose what needs to be done along with selecting who will do the work as long as as it doesn't exceed 15k. So Mr. Puss I've decided that we do need a new roof and it will be easy to do the remediation at the same time. I had already had a quote of appx 15k from one company to do the work but I will get 2 more estimates and then decide. I forgot to also add that this includes paying for air samples before and after the work is done. Oh gee whiz or is it cheez wiz or wiz golly gee or whatever Mr. puss always says I'm so happy and I didn't have to sue. I want to thank everyone for their help except the idiot with the bad sense of humor. I do welcome any advice you may have from this point. I'm still nervous about the process but you all made me feel a lot more comfortable. I know they'll find the cause and find a solution to prevent it in the future. I just want my family safe and protected.
    Well Whiz,

That is Good News.

* now you can go and whine to someone else.

The Seller took 15k off the Price.

* don't sound like much of a house ,Air Samples, Remediation, New Roof , New Decking, Replacement of selected framing members.

** just be Sure to tell everyone in ear shot You be " The Boss "

*** Sure you can Stay on Budget? Hire The Right People ? Select the Correct Materials? Deal With The Delays ? Take the Full Responsibility to get it done right ? If Not !

**** guess You'll have to Sue Yourself ( Cheese Whiz )

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Billy Stephens; 03-08-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added remediation

That is why you need a mold tester to tell you the extent of the mold damge and what should be done.
    I'm not a mold guy, so I have a question. Why would you need to test for it when it's visibly obvious that it's mold? Can't you skip the test and just hire a remediator to clean it up. That is of course once you fix the cause of the problem.

Mold, Housing and Wood

The above site indicates that a visual examination may be all that is needed. This is from the above article:

In addition, many homeowners ask to have molds identified to species. In most cases, this is unnecessary and costly. Molds are a moisture indicator and should be dealt with as such. Eliminating the moisture source and cleaning the affected surfaces generally negates the need for identification. So-called “mold test kits” should be used with caution and the results interpreted carefully since sampling accuracy is an important aspect in using these kits.
    A visual inspection is usually the most effective method for distinguishing clean and moldy environments. In the absence of visible mold growth, sometimes the air is sampled to estimate the number of airborne mold spores.

Mold is an indicator of another problem and mold is decay.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/te...treatments.pdf

Last edited by Brandon Whitmore; 03-08-2010 at 11:38 PM.

rich harris Guest

Well Whiz,

That is Good News.

* now you can go and whine to someone else.

The Seller took 15k off the Price.

* don't sound like much of a house ,Air Samples, Remediation, New Roof , New Decking, Replacement of selected framing members.

** just be Sure to tell everyone in ear shot You be " The Boss "

*** Sure you can Stay on Budget? Hire The Right People ? Select the Correct Materials? Deal With The Delays ? Take the Full Responsibility to get it done right ? If Not !

**** guess You'll have to Sue Yourself ( Cheese Whiz )

Yes i will move on with my life Willie Sourpuss and you can continue to exist in your painfully pathetic life posting meaningless blogs that really expose how truly empty your world is. A simple math test for you Mr. Puss, divide the number of your posts by the number of days you've been a member here. Sad isn't it? Get a life dude and take my advice and clean yourself up and try going out on a date instead of boring us with your relentless posts. You will thank me for this one day you pathetic inbred.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

This thread has turned into a complete embarrassment.

Yes i will move on with my life
    Thank You,

Wishing You Success with Your Project.

A simple math test for you Mr. Puss, divide the number of your posts by the number of days you've been a member here.
    . Sad isn't it?
    rich harris
    Total Post: 18 (2.55 post per day)
    * all on One Thread

Billy Stephens
    Total Post: 2401 ( 2.35 post per day )
    *on hundreds of threads

Get a life dude .
    Don't You have a Family to take care of ?
    * They Need a Roof Over their heads.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 03-10-2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: corrected to 2.35

A simple math test for you Mr. Puss, divide the number of your posts by the number of days you've been a member here.
    No math needed. Just click on the persons name and the web site will calculate the information for you.

Forum InfoContact Info

PostsTotal Posts: 2,404 (2.55 posts per day) Find all posts by Billy StephensFind all threads started by Billy Stephens

Rich, you better slow down.....you're catching Billy in avg. post per day!!

Forum InfoContact Info

PostsTotal Posts: 18 (2.35 posts per day) Find all posts by rich harrisFind all threads started by rich harris

Thank You,

Wishing You Success with Your Project.

rich harris
    Total Post: 18 (2.55 post per day)
    * all on One Thread

Billy Stephens
    Total Post: 2401 ( 2.35 post per day )
    *on hundreds of threads

Don't You have a Family to take care of ?
    * They Need a Roof Over their heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    No math needed. Just click on the persons name and the web site will calculate the information for you.

Forum InfoContact Info

PostsTotal Posts: 2,404 (2.55 posts per day) Find all posts by Billy StephensFind all threads started by Billy Stephens

Rich, you better slow down.....you're catching Billy in avg. post per day!!

Forum InfoContact Info

PostsTotal Posts: 18 (2.35 posts per day) Find all posts by rich harrisFind all threads started by rich harris
    Wayne,

Thanks For The Correction,
    *When I pulled that up last night my eyeballs thought I saw a double nickle after that 2.

rich harris Guest

Wayne,

Thanks For The Correction,
    *When I pulled that up last night my eyeballs thought I saw a double nickle after that 2.
    My obsession is temorary his has lasted almost 3 years and continues and continues and continues.

Bob White Guest

Geez . . .

I go away for a coupla months and pick this for the first thread to read when I get back...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob White View Post
    Geez . . .

I go away for a coupla months and pick this for the first thread to read when I get back...

Bob,

Serves you right for going away for a couple of months ... we knew you were coming back ... and to this thread ... so we did it just for you.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob White View Post

Geez .
    . .

Your Welcome,
    * glad to have you back Bob.

I still know nothing about a mole in a crawl space? Which is why I chose to read this thread. Mold in an attic is rather boring stuff, usually. Thanks for spicing it up guys.

That was in Georgia

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Cobra Cook Guest

Smile re: Extensive mold in crawl space

You can replace the entire roof, sheathing, insulation, rafters and so on but until you determine why the mold is there and then fix that problem FIRST, and then kill the mold you are just wasting you time and money. If the sheathing is so bad in the attic then i would want to thoroughly inspect the crawl space and house for mold content and damage. Once you kill the mold and cause of it, it will do no further harm. My first look would be to make sure the vapor barrier is on the warm side of the attic, make sure any exhaust fans are not blowing into the attic. If there is no ventilation in the attic then install an attic fan but even better have a roofer install a ridge vent on the house. Its not that hard and with a skill saw, hammer and nails you could do it yourself, go to Lowes or home depot and they can give you advice or steer you to some one who can. get a couple estimates first. Good luck and ask your inspector how did he determine it was mold in the first place? Cobra CRI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12