Default Ceiling tile discoloration

Greetings. Has anyone out there seen this particular drop ceiling issue before? 1970's Colonial with dry, walk-out basement. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Default Re: Ceiling tile discoloration

Maybe and then again maybe not.

What is your question?

I'm wondering if it's mold. All tiles throughout basement have some degree of this. No sign of moisture seepage anywhere. No mold anywhere else. Possibly (?) caused by a small puddle from a leaky humidifier 3 or more years ago. Just doesn't look like any mold I have ever seen. Only a culture will tell for sure.

Well, I doubt they were that color when they came out of the box. All you need for mold to grow is humidity and the majority of basements have plenty of that.

It is one of those I don't know moments. FYI, many ceiling tiles from that era have been known to have ACM in them..

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Clearly, only a moron would install those tiles in that condition, right out of the box. Although, we certainly see a lot of moronic things, don't we.
    -Regrdless of what caused the discoloration, I told them it's ugly, so get rid of them. Period. But if you insist on doing it yourselves, be sure to wear gloves, respirators,etc.
    -The interesting thing is that the fibers of the tiles showed zero signs of moisture, or degradation of any kind. My suspicion is that there was a very temporary, limited wet (floor?) condition whereby a mold colony started, but went dormant quickly when the humidity/moisture condition was "fixed".

Quote Originally Posted by DENNIS OMARA View Post
    -Regrdless of what caused the discoloration, I told them it's ugly, so get rid of them. Period.
    I don't inspect cosmetic issues. Last week I did not recommend the client replace the leopard skin print carpet. I don't recommend that clients replace avocado green countertops or shag carpet unless they are in poor condition.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Bob Garza Guest

Scott,
    Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is ACM ?

Bob

daniel nantell Guest

Is possible the previous owner had a little farm in the basement growning the wacky Tobaccie ?????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Garza View Post
    Scott,
    Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is ACM ?

Bob

Asbestos Containing Material.

There is also PACM where the P stands for several things depending on who is talking, but they all come down to meaning 'potential', 'possible', 'probable', etc., asbestos containing material.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    Last week I did not recommend the client replace the leopard skin print carpet.
    Why would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Breedlove View Post
    Last week I did not recommend the client replace the leopard skin print carpet.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Why would you?
    I thought it looked quite nice. (Yes, I reported the missing rail.)

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Bruce, I thought you were just giving an example out of thin air, not actual experience! Good pic.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Bruce, I thought you were just giving an example out of thin air, not actual experience! Good pic.
    Jim,

I took the photo to show the missing rail. When I wrote the post above about the carpet I wasn't sure if I had a photo of the carpet but sure enough, there it was in the photo of the missing rail.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Morning Gents!

As an Industrial Hygienist, we have a legal definition of PACM which is defined in Title 29 of the Code of Federal Regs (Part 1910.1001), thusly

"Presumed asbestos containing material" means thermal system insulation and surfacing material found in buildings constructed no later than 1980. The designation of a material as "PACM" may be rebutted pursuant to paragraph (j)(8) of this section.

Bruce –

Dude, if you don’t stop posting photos of my home, I’ll stop inviting you over. That carpet was a gift from my Mom.

Cheers!
    CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell
    Forensic Industrial Hygienist
    Forensic Applications Consulting Technologies, Inc. - Home

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Quote Originally Posted by CaoimhÃ*n P. Connell View Post
    Bruce –

Dude, if you don’t stop posting photos of my home, I’ll stop inviting you over. That carpet was a gift from my Mom.
    You should be thankful I didn't post a photo of the Spongbob wallpaper in your office.

Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com