Default drip pan too small?

This water heater seems to be just crammed into the drip pan. Is this one of those common-sense items that isn't covered in code or manufacturer's requirements?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: drip pan too small?

I answered my own question while posting it. If the drip pan is too small to accommodate the tpr discharge pipe and the drain valve, then it's too small.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

John, that's what I call jamming 10 lbs of s#!t into a 5 lb bag.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I answered my own question while posting it. If the drip pan is too small to accommodate the tpr discharge pipe and the drain valve, then it's too small.
    John, I like your logic, but the TPR drain line does not have to go into the pan! I don't think the drain valve does either.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    This water heater seems to be just crammed into the drip pan. Is this one of those common-sense items that isn't covered in code or manufacturer's requirements?
    Does not look like it meets P2801.5.1, it also needs to allow for that 3/4" minimum drain line to be in a fitting and that fitting to have a securing nut on the inside and the inside of the fitting to not be blocked by the water heater.

- P2801.5 Required pan. Where water heaters or hot water storage tanks are installed in locations where leakage of the tanks or connections will cause damage, the tank or water heater shall be installed in a galvanized steel pan having a minimum thickness of 24 gage (0.016 inch) (0.4 mm) or other pans for such use. Listed pans shall comply with CSA LC3.
    - - P2801.5.1 Pan size and drain. The pan shall be not less than 11/2 inches (38 mm) deep and shall be of sufficient size and shape to receive all dripping or condensate from the tank or water heater. The pan shall be drained by an indirect waste pipe having a minimum diameter of 3/4 inch (19 mm). Piping for safety pan drains shall be of those materials listed in Table P2904.5.
    - - P2801.5.2 Pan drain termination. The pan drain shall extend full-size and terminate over a suitably located indirect waste receptor or shall extend to the exterior of the building and terminate not less than 6 inches (152 mm) and not more than 24 inches (610 mm) above the adjacent ground surface.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That's one of those POS self-cracking plastic pans...

You're all looking at it wrong. The pan is the correct size; the water heater is too dang big.

I recall reading one manufacturers requirement to have a pan 30% larger than the base of the water heater when leakage can cause damage. I think that came from AO Smith.

the code in NJ requires us to install a 2" drain to the pan, and drain the T&P valve separate

what good is a 2" drain if the adaptor is only 1", the largest adp. i can get on the pan is 1-1/2" and now the heaters don't have feet so you have to put blocks under the unit taking up most of the pan, rendering it useless

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    You're all looking at it wrong. The pan is the correct size; the water heater is too dang big.

I recall reading one manufacturers requirement to have a pan 30% larger than the base of the water heater when leakage can cause damage. I think that came from AO Smith.

Your right Brandon, that water heater is just feeling "bloated".

How many times have you heard that?

rick