Default Power Gate Safety

Anyone have information on residential gates?
    I come across driveway gate on occasion and am taken aback that there are few if any safety devices. I am wondering if there are any safety standards similar to garage door operators.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 03-04-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    Member Benefits1
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: Power Gate Safety

Consumer Product Safety Commission

CPSC worked with Underwriters Laboratories (UL) to develop the tougher safety standard that requires automatic gates to have at least two mechanisms to prevent entrapment. These provisions are similar to the standards in effect for automatic garage doors. The standard, which UL adopted in March 2000, requires a sensing device that will reverse the gate if it encounters an obstruction when opening or closing; and a secondary sensing mechanism, such as an electric eye or an edge sensor that will reverse the gate if an obstruction is detected.

Additional safety measures related to gate installation include:

GTO Automatic Gate Openers - UL325 Article

• Elimination of all gaps over 2.25 inches.
    • Installation of controls far enough from the gate so users cannot come into contact with the gate while operating the controls.
    • Installation of controls where the user has full view of the gate operation.
    • Elimination of pinch points.
    • Installation of guarding on exposed rollers.
    • Posting of warning signs on each side of the gate.

Last edited by Wayne Carlisle; 03-04-2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Added web site

Great, just what I was looking for. I know it is a voluntary listing but at least it is a standard of what should be present for safety.
    Thanks!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    I come across driveway gate on occasion and am taken aback that there are few if any safety devices. .
    How does The Fire Department feel about non access to the Residence?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

"How does The Fire Department feel about non access to the Residence?"

Same as a locked door. If they want in,they are comming in.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    How does The Fire Department feel about non access to the Residence?
    Probably the same as when I was in South Florida and talked with a Fire Chief about a development where the EERO all went to rear yards with fences and no gates for a way out, only option was to jump the fence.

His reply was "Ever seen how wide of an opening a fire truck makes when it drives over a fence? REAL easy to walk or run through." (Yes, he was smiling big time when he told me that. )

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    "How does The Fire Department feel about non access to the Residence?"

Same as a locked door. If they want in,they are comming in.
    I agree They Will Enter but as this is a Home Inspection the Client might want to know if the Property has meet the requirements of Section 1. D.

Attached Files Attached Files
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Most of what I see is gates at the rear entry driveway. Guests and firemen come to the front door

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Most of what I see is gates at the rear entry driveway. Guests and firemen come to the front door
    I agree They Will Enter but as this is a Home Inspection the Client might want to know if the Property has meet the requirements of Section 1. D.
    So does the blocked rear access Required to adhere to Section 1. D ?

"The owner of premises at or upon which a governmental body requires the designation and maintenance of a fire lane,"

Billy
    Are you saying that a governmental body requires this on residential privet property.
    I see fire lanes at the mall, grocery store and other shopping centers.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Or does Section I104 Apply?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    "The owner of premises at or upon which a governmental body requires the designation and maintenance of a fire lane,"

Billy
    Are you saying that a governmental body requires this on residential privet property.
    I see fire lanes at the mall, grocery store and other shopping centers.
    Rick,

Why would you think it's acceptable to block Fire Equipment access to a dwelling ?
    * because they can chop, drive over or pull down the Obstruction?

Not a fire lane, this is the fenced rear yard along the alley. lots of subdivisions don't even have an alley as they are all front entrance with yards back to back. The gate is across the private driveway.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Brandon Reece Guest

Many of these gates are equipped with an automatic opener if it detects a certain tone emitted by the siren of the responding agency. As far as any specific requirement to allow access by other means, it would be up to the emergency response agency that has jurisdiction in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Reece View Post
    Many of these gates are equipped with an automatic opener if it detects a certain tone emitted by the siren of the responding agency. As far as any specific requirement to allow access by other means, it would be up to the emergency response agency that has jurisdiction in that area.

Seems strange they would be relying on electricity to open the gate from a house which was on fire and from which the first thing they likely did was disconnect all power to the house - many fire departments do not spray water on energized structures, really increases the hazards the firefighters encounter.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Seems strange they would be relying on electricity to open the gate from a house which was on fire and from which the first thing they likely did was disconnect all power to the house - many fire departments do not spray water on energized structures, really increases the hazards the firefighters encounter.
    Gotta Open the Gate ( if it blocks access ) to get to the Structure in order to Cut the Power.

Think garage door opener or the Signal sent to change the traffic lights on the response rounding the corner the gate opens before the Equipment arrives.
    * if not see option 2.

Power driven security gates was always a disclaimer when I was inspecting.
    A little boy had his arm torn off when playing around one of them. When asked by clients if the local building dept. allowed electric gates I usually replied; "Nah, they only allow draw-bridges." (I got a lot of funny looks)

How about home owners who install padlocks on the electrical service panels?
    That's why all fire trucks carry bolt cutters and the very first thing they do when arriving at a burning building is shut off the power and it ain't by throwing circuit breakers.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

john_opwin Guest

In my thought power gates should be based on functionality of automatic opening and closing in the slider manner. Explosive detective components should be shifted on gates. If anyone holds such the things, it raises sound. Such gates are highly protected.

gate info is toward the bottom
    DASMA Door and Access Systems Manufacturers Association
    other info may come in useful

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Power driven security gates was always a disclaimer when I was inspecting.
    A little boy had his arm torn off when playing around one of them. When asked by clients if the local building dept. allowed electric gates I usually replied; "Nah, they only allow draw-bridges." (I got a lot of funny looks)

How about home owners who install padlocks on the electrical service panels?
    That's why all fire trucks carry bolt cutters and the very first thing they do when arriving at a burning building is shut off the power and it ain't by throwing circuit breakers.

Here's the firemans electrical disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    gate info is toward the bottom
    DASMA Door and Access Systems Manufacturers Association
    other info may come in useful
    Good info Barry, I pulled this out as useful to the inspector and consumer.

http://www.dasma.com/PDF/Publication...ics/TDS371.pdf

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas