Default ASHI Bylaw ballot

Has anyone heard about this proposed change?

IMO - ASHI has always had a "closed type" election process and it looks like it now wants to make it impossible for members to become elected officials.

Does anyone have any info on the real story behind the story?

Home Page

This was what I received from Frank Leash - past president.
    "Shortly, you will be asked to vote on a proposed bylaw change that would, if passed, dramatically change ASHI as we know it. The Rationale preceding the proposed bylaws is misleading. The Rationale says “The Nominating Committee may slate more than 4 persons.” But the bylaw (8.2.4) says “The committee shall nominate the Certification Committee members, and four Directors.” No matter what the Rationale says, it’s the bylaw that is the law. I think it is disingenuous to say “the Nominating Committee may slate more than 4 persons...it’s just not true. One of the most egregious changes would prevent the members from voting for ASHI’s future president! Please vote NO on this ill conceived bylaw and let’s get ASHI back on track! For more information go to: notobylawchange.com Frank Lesh ASHI President 2007"

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Michael Greenwalt Guest

Default Re: ASHI Bylaw ballot

My vote will be no, this is an ill concieved change to the by-laws in my opinion. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Amelin View Post
    Has anyone heard about this proposed change?

IMO - ASHI has always had a "closed type" election process and it looks like it now wants to make it impossible for members to become elected officials.

Does anyone have any info on the real story behind the story?

Home Page

This was what I received from Frank Leash - past president.
    "Shortly, you will be asked to vote on a proposed bylaw change that would, if passed, dramatically change ASHI as we know it. The Rationale preceding the proposed bylaws is misleading. The Rationale says “The Nominating Committee may slate more than 4 persons.” But the bylaw (8.2.4) says “The committee shall nominate the Certification Committee members, and four Directors.” No matter what the Rationale says, it’s the bylaw that is the law. I think it is disingenuous to say “the Nominating Committee may slate more than 4 persons...it’s just not true. One of the most egregious changes would prevent the members from voting for ASHI’s future president! Please vote NO on this ill conceived bylaw and let’s get ASHI back on track! For more information go to: notobylawchange.com Frank Lesh ASHI President 2007"
    Ken, I think you have pretty much all of the information. You posted the link to Franks website and he pretty much spells it out. As an ASHI member you should get your ballot in the next day or so. I agree with some of the changes, but not all of them. My vote will be No on this as well, but this is just me and I don't speak for anyone else.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Will be voting no. In my opinion it takes power away from members and it also appears to be top heavy governance wise.

Dangerous mix in my mind.

I will be voting NO and will go out on a limb and suggest others vote NO also.
    Frank has good information, and is a reliable source.

I would be willing to discuss privately if anyone wants to PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I will be voting NO and will go out on a limb and suggest others vote NO also.
    Frank has good information, and is a reliable source.

I would be willing to discuss privately if anyone wants to PM.
    I just received my ballot and have voted! Be sure you vote and vote often!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Sounds like a power grab to me. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

"We know what's best for you and we're gonna cram it down your throat whether y!u like it or not."

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    Sounds like a power grab to me. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

"We know what's best for you and we're gonna cram it down your throat whether y!u like it or not."

-
    What's nice is that we don't have to think about it since it has nothing to do with us.

Leim Pindar Guest

On the other hand things which promote change away from the status quo are always feared and fought by the firmly entrenched power-brokers. A change like this could break the never-ending log-jamb of indecision which permeates ASHI governance.

Leim.

Leim you may be correct but it doesn't really matter if the proposed bylaw change is good or bad.

It was so poorly managed that is will go down as a no vote by probably more than 95% of voting members.

No communication.
    Tried to circumvent the CoR by changing the by-laws to keep them out.
    No feedback from members.
    No debate - what-so-ever.

It was a TOP DOWN power play and people don't like that! It has soured a lot of people and hurt the organization.

I just hope they can re-coupe and keep their members.

We have a ASHI member in Ontario who was on the COR and most recently elected as Secretary, I and others have never heard a bloody thing from him. So much for representation.

Raymond,
    If you were not happy with Alden, you should have complained to the Chapter President, or to Alden himself.
    Just because one Cor member didn't do his/her job, does not mean that others did not, or that the Cor is not needed.

Jack

I didn't suggest the others didn't do their job, and don't read that into it please!!

Leim Pindar Guest

Someone copied me and I thought I'd share. Interesting to say the least.

As 18 Past Presidents of ASHI we urge you to vote YES on the bylaw amendments that are being proposed to change the governance structure and processes.

These motions are designed to create a greater level of cooperation within the ASHI leadership and to allow you, the Certified Members of ASHI, an opportunity to fully participate in the election of your Board of Directors. When the new bylaws are adopted, all ASHI Certified Members will be eligible to run for, and vote for, your Board of Directors. Currently only a small number of members of the Council of Representative (COR) selects and votes for candidates to serve on the Board.

The new governance structure will create a smaller Board saving ASHI money and creating a better environment for thorough discussions and decisions.

We believe that these changes will improve ASHI for the better and we ask for your support.

Please VOTE YES to allow ASHI to improve its governance model to meet future needs.

Submitted by these ASHI Past Presidents:

Ronald Passaro - Founding President
    Alan Carson
    Michael Casey
    Patrick Casey
    Joseph Corsetto
    Mark Cramer
    Wayne Falcone
    John Ghent
    Stephen Gladstone
    Brion Grant
    Cole Greenberg
    Larry Hoytt
    Gerald Loesch
    Danny Maynard
    Don Norman
    John Palczuk
    Richard Matzen
    Bill Richardson

I believe voting on this proposal is important.

As a side note - I have had very good support and follow-up from Alden respecting ASHI issues. The problem often filters down to our own personal expectations.

Could communication be improved? - Respectfully, yes, but that likely applies to a lot of dissemination of information - such as the subject matter related to this thread.

Ken Bates Guest

I don't know what all this is about but I do know that I would have terminated many paid staff as they wasted dues money starting with the new website and then the "We speak house nonsense!"

Many ASHI members are reading this post now because paid iceholes made bad decisions and the website bulletin board was disfunctional for several years and Brian Hannigan came up from behind and in some terms Nick Gromicko will be/or is already the winner.

Ken,
    Not sure if you are an ASHI member or not. If you are, you are so far behind that its not even funny.

Lets see.... paid staff was let go, in droves, even before Rob P. left. Oh that brings up the second news flash. There is a new executive director. The Speak house stuff was about 7 years ago by the way.
    The ASHI web site has been up and running for quite a few years now, so not sure you point in posting very, very old news.
    Talk about being out of the loop.

Dave Wheeler Guest

I will be voting "NO" ss well.

Exclamation Re: ASHI Bylaw ballot

Sadly, not surprising. Just one more thing. Thank you, Frank, for speaking up.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com