Default Thought I'd Just About Seen It All Until...

I have seen many odd and even dangerous things in my years in the building trades and as a home inspector but I believe this takes the cake. It combines sheer stupidity with imminent danger and reckless abandon.

The series of photos are of a parking area security floodlight fixture and its supply conduit for a 2 story condo parking area.

Neither the light fixture nor conduit are secured to the building until conduit tops out and runs horizontal across the roof. A conduit connector about 8' below the roof line is loose and allowing the conduit to buckle. Finally, at about knee height off the ground, a junction box (former receptacle box?) has it's lid ajar just waiting to catch water or have someone put fingers into it. The conduit continues into the ground at grade.

Granted, it doesn't rain much in the desert, so why then would they even install gutters that collect roof runoff and direct it onto the conduit?!

Go figure...

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

Default Re: Thought I'd Just About Seen It All Until...

Bob - That is some prize-winning stupidity, and/or, as you say, recklessness.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Deck Expert Guest

I love this types of pics...reminds me once again of Albert Einstein's
    Stupidity Theory

"Genius is limited, stupidity knows no boundaries."

Many have tested those boundaries, some come back alive, some don't.

Aah, but I'll bet if you drive by next year sometime it will still be the same.
    How many times do we point out things like this only to find that nothing was ever done about it?
    I know an old building that has several offices in it, that has FPE panels in it. There have been several tenant changes, some electrical work done but the panels are still there. I'm told "they haven't had a problem yet".
    So if those lights still light up the parking lot... what's the problem.
    When sparks fly, then that's when most will take action.

I just a little cynical this morning

Here is a shock hazard for you. I ran across this one on an abandoned house in New Orleans in 2008 while doing a FEMA inspection after a hurricane.

The meter base did not have a cover and YES it was live and well within reach of anyone over 3' tall. A downspout discharges below the meter base to ensure you are adequately grounded.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Hi, Bruce &

Great 'conversation' shots !

* Metal-thief, possibly ???

CHEERS, all !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI