Default Rust stains on asphalt shingle roof.

I searched previous threads for this and found one very similar, but there was no consensus what caused it. Some of the previous thoughts were nails, trees, industrial plants nearby,birds, houses nearby with similar staining. None of these things apply here. I cant go with the nail theory, due to the fact that the ridge cap has the same rust stains. On some of the circular stained areas, it looks like there was a small piece of metal that rusted, kind of like the iron in fertilizer when it gets on a concrete driveway, and leaves a rust stain when it gets wet. Any ideas?? The space shuttle flew over a few weeks ago, maybe chinese drywall?? I am thinking defective shingles???

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Default Re: Rust stains on asphalt shingle roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kondzich View Post
    I searched previous threads for this and found one very similar, but there was no consensus what caused it. Some of the previous thoughts were nails, trees, industrial plants nearby,birds, houses nearby with similar staining. None of these things apply here. I cant go with the nail theory, due to the fact that the ridge cap has the same rust stains. On some of the circular stained areas, it looks like there was a small piece of metal that rusted, kind of like the iron in fertilizer when it gets on a concrete driveway, and leaves a rust stain when it gets wet. Any ideas?? The space shuttle flew over a few weeks ago, maybe chinese drywall?? I am thinking defective shingles???
    Paul,

I bet there is iron or iron oxide in the aggregate. If you need to know specifically, you could send a sample to a lab. Not sure what that would tell you. Did you see anything amiss? Cracked shingles, excessive wear? If you know the manufacturer, you could email them with some pics and ask.

If not, then I would just note the condition and move on.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

No Gunnar, the roof was completely fine otherwise.

Last edited by Paul Kondzich; 03-13-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Sp
    Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Copper treated composition roofing installed with hot dipped or galv roofing nails instead of Stainless. Add to that humidity, rain (marine or acid making worse), sun, and humid environment, nail heads fully corroding, pushing up and staining the light colored roof. Notice no visible signs of the "blue green" algae (the black staining).

Another possiblity compo not copper treated, had algae, was cleaned with regular laundry bleach (that's chlorine & sodium hydroxide - lye) or similar product(s), overly saturated surface and not rinsed well - now zinc coating failed roofing nails rusting heads. Humid environment excellerating - marine/acid rain, hot roof etc.

Would need to lift a shingle and expose a nail head where rust staining seen to check my theory/guess that the roofing nails are rusting from the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Copper treated composition roofing installed with hot dipped or galv roofing nails instead of Stainless. surface and not rinsed well - now zinc coating failed roofing nails rusting heads. Humid environment excellerating - marine/acid rain, hot roof etc.

Would need to lift a shingle and expose a nail head where rust staining seen to check my theory/guess that the roofing nails are rusting from the heads.
    Why would that much H2O be running over the nailheads? My vote''s wid Gunnar the ' troll.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    My vote''s wid Gunnar the ' troll.
    Hey, I stopped Trolling a while ago.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Daniel Leung Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Paul,

I bet there is iron or iron oxide in the aggregate.
    I vote for Gunnar too. Good guess!

The more I think about it, that sounds like the only explanation that makes sense. Seems to me thats a defective product. Anyone ever heard of anything like this in the roofing world?

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post

Hey, I stopped Trolling a while ago.
    Once a Pickle Never a Cucumber Again.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

David Bell Guest

I'll go way out on a limb and say the house is very near a marina that does extensive refinishing to steel hulled ships and the airbourne particulates are iron laden. Hows that for imagination?

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Bell View Post
    I'll go way out on a limb and say the house is very near a marina that does extensive refinishing to steel hulled ships and the airbourne particulates are iron laden. Hows that for imagination?
    Where you at Woodstock? Did you follow the Grateful Dead around?

I would think that all of the houses in the area would have the same staining if this were the case.

Off-topic: Is that sheathing installed on the correct strength bias?

David Bell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post

I would think that all of the houses in the area would have the same staining if this were the case.
    No on Woodstock (a bit young for that) But I did see a few Dead shows in the late 70s, early 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post

Obviously, this particular house has been magnetized by a close encounter with an alien spacecraft, thereby attracting the airborne iron of which David speaks. Think outside the box, man! Far out!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Mitchell Toelle Guest

I think that's a rooster in the third photo. Nice shadow animal.

On a serious note, you said that the other houses in the area didn't have the same condition. I was thinking it could be from areal spraying (mosquitos, other pesticides, etc.) but those other houses would most likely be affected as well.

Gonna have to find a manufacturer and make some inquiries with them (after looking for fastener rust).

For what it's worth, I found this with a web search:

Roofing: Elk Shingles w/rust spots, definition shingles, resistant shingles

"Question
    I have a 5 year old roof with the Elk Prestique High Definition shingles. In inspecting for hail damage, we found rust spots all over the roof. For the warranty, we removed 2 shingles and sent them to GAF. They wrote back stating that it is a naturally occuring condition caused when pyrites in the granular are exposed to oxygen."

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Mitchell, did you notice on the roosters third "appendage" it is perfectly lined up with a rust stain? What are the odds.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Brian Johnson Guest

Have you guys ever heard of the contrails conspiracy??

Chemtrail conspiracy theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well Gunnar must be right on this one. These pics are from another house. Maybe its something to do with the shingle color. This house 8 years old, first was 6 years. Same exact color. Houses about 5 miles apart, but I dont think its location, gotta go with iron in the aggregate. This one is not uniform staining like the first. Maybe in 10 places on roof, instead of the whole roof on first house.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Philip Guest

I have seen these stains. The roofs in question seem to be of the same color. Not a defect in the shingle, just a manufacturer trying to achieve a certain look by producing a roof that rusts. Go figure.