brianmiller Guest

Default PVC in foundation

What is the function of this PVC piping routed out of the foundation?

Should it be capped? Critter and water can get in.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by brianmiller; 07-02-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Michael Garrity Guest

Default Re: PVC in foundation

Have you looked on the other side?

chris mcintyre Guest

Slab on grade? Basement?

brianmiller Guest

slab on grade foundation.

No PVC on other side of house.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Where is the water heater (TPRV discharge or pan drain perhaps)?

Where is the HVAC (humidifier, condensate or secondary pan drain perhaps)?

What's on the other side of the wall? fireplace (air intake maybe), garage (floor drain perhaps)?

Flat roof (inside gutter drain maybe)?

What's just to the right of that PVC can't quite make it out, is it a sprinkler head? What's just above and to the right of that, a window?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-14-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Chuck Forman Guest

It that a kitchen window in the top right hand corner of the picture? Do they have a Jen-Aire cook top/grill? I have seen this before when it is venting the cooktop set in the middle of an island. If this is the case it should have a vent screen of some type placed over it. Just a guess. It hard to determine not knowing what is on the other side of the wall. It there is a cooktop in an island and you do not see a vent system it might be one that rises up in the back of the cooktop. Turn things on and go outside to see if something is venting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Forman View Post
    ...Do they have a Jen-Aire cook top/grill? I have seen this before when it is venting the cooktop set in the middle of an island. If this is the case it should have a vent screen of some type placed over it. ..
    I believe it should have a backdraft damper, if it is a range or cooktop vent, not just screen.
    See IRC M1503

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Chuck Forman Guest

John,

You are correct and I should have stated that. I was just more curious about where the pvc might be coming from.

chris mcintyre Guest

Could be a dryer vent? IMO, I feel there is a better chance that this pipe serves a purpose and is not properly terminated, than a pipe that should be capped.

Chuck Forman Guest

Chris,
    I couldn't agree more. Hope he figures it out.

Mitchell Toelle Guest

H.G. has really given several of the most likely reasons for this PVC location and termination. Doscharge for the TPR valve, discharge for the HVAC condensate, termination for an interior downspout from a VG or low sloped roof area. Need to go investigate this again Brian. That way you can report properly to your Client.

Possible depending on size that it is PVC used for a chase for refrigerant lines for a/c. Used to be a common method of getting refrigerant lines from an interior closet to the outside. Did it have central a/c? If not, this may be a chase for future use and the other end would likely be visible at the furnace closet concrete floor.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Brian Johnson Guest

To me it seems that this is about 3-4" diameter piping and that might be to big to be a drain from water heater or HVAC. Also have you thought about a passive radon system? just a thought

Brian Johnson Guest

just saw that you are in new mexico, so its probably not radon then. sorry

brianmiller Guest

Thanks everyone, here's some more info:

The PVC is located at the kitchen, a sink is off to the left of the PVC pipe.
    There is a cooktop and oven across from this wall, with no visible exterior exhaust.

The A/C is located on the opposite side of the house. Condensate drains on this side of the house.

Furnace is located on oppoiste side of house in the attic.

Dryer is located at center of house

No water heater catch pan. Pressure relief drain line termiates at another location.

I guess the best course of action at this time is for me to note that critters and water can enter inside pipe and to have a plumber(?) determine function of pipe and how it should be properly terminated.

brian

robertarmacost Guest

Pipe doesn't appear to even be sleaved

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

FYI NM doesn't use the mechanical or plumbing chapters of the IRC it uses UMC and UPC (not IMC or IPC based).

How is the Clothes Dryer in the center of the house exhausted, is it electric or gas fired? Could it be one of those condensing type dryers?

Was that a landscaping sprinklerhead just to the right of the PVC? Is that a DOOR, WINDOW PANEL, or what, just to the right and above this PVC opening? You never did say.

Flat or low slope roof? Interior drain from same??? You never did say.

Oh, and if you run the faucet in the kitchen sink just behind this wall and to the left, does the area pictured get wet?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-15-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    I guess the best course of action at this time is for me to note that critters and water can enter inside pipe and to have a plumber(?) determine function of pipe and how it should be properly terminated.

Yeppers ... BUT ... do not call that out to be capped as it MIGHT just be for something important that will only be found out when it is capped.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Bell Guest

I'd like to see a pic of the roofline. I think it's a downspout from a scupper box.

Mitchell Whyte Guest

Hey folks first time replier here,

I have an issue with where the pvc is. It appears way below grade and if I were an engineer I wouldn't want the possibility of any household vent or drain to become plugged by a water event soil sloughing or any type of backup. I propose it may have been meant as a sleeve for future irragation or outdoor bbq gas stubout. It appears to be in the stem wall and below slab.

With that said, does the grade surrounding it fall away significantly? Is there a crawl space?

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Whyte View Post
    Is there a crawl space?
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmiller View Post
    slab on grade foundation.

Hey folks first time replier here,

Welcome Mitchell

brianmiller Guest

By process of elimination , I've eliminated everything but a floor drain for the washer. I spoke with some old timers and they said it's most likely a floor drain for the washer. However, cuz the washer was in place, I could not see a floor drain.

I reported to client to have a plumber determine what it is and make appropriate repairs, if needed....as well as to lower the grade so that water doesn't back up into it.

Brian