Thread: Vent flashing

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Vent flashing

How do you write this up? Flashing/cap improperly installed and fabricated on site.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Vent flashing

Amateur flashing insulation should be improved. At a minimum a high-grade low-modulus sealant should be applies to the make-shift storm collar.

mathew stouffer Guest

But we all agree it is an incorrect installation. I am being accused of being too picky.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I am being accused of being too picky.

Tell them that "too picky" is when you note that the oil canning on the roof below is an eyesore and therefore the roof below is in need of replacement.

Then tell them that, oh, by the way, this chimney cap is all bit to crap and needs to be replaced while they are up there replacing that gas vent cap. That ought to tweak their nose up a bit.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

Tell them that "too picky" is when you note that the oil canning on the roof below is an eyesore and therefore the roof below is in need of replacement.
    for The Benefit of The Folks South of The Freeze Line.
    * I believe that is called Snow.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

mathew stouffer Guest

Yes, that is snow and we did not get much of it this year. But in the past that is what has beat the crap out of the cap Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    for The Benefit of The Folks South of The Freeze Line.
    * I believe that is called Snow.

I saw that white fluffy stuff on the ground, but I figured that if it was snow on the roof, at the depth of the snow on the ground the standing seams on the roof would not be visible ...

After a good high wind event, metal panel roofs look just like that from oil canning. And, if you look at the other roof to the left you will actually see SNOW (that white fluffy stuff) on it, and, ... it looks just like the roof I am referring to.

But - Mat was there and he said it was snow on that roof, so ... I gotta go with what the man who was there says.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I saw that white fluffy stuff .....
    Thanks For Clearing that up.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

mathew stouffer Guest

Sorry Jerry, I was talking about the stuff on the ground. What were you talking about.

Matthew,

I think that JP is referring to the dented standing seam metal roof in the background. I would guess that "oil canning" is what happens to sheet metal when you throw an oil can at it.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Cool Re: Vent flashing

You would need to know the listed requirements of both appliances venting here. First of all, does this gas vent meet the separation requirements of the chimney to the right, which appears to be a factory built fireplace. Next, ditto the gas to the wood. Does the gas vent require their flashing to be ventilated-most wood does. Does the B-vent listing rely on the flashing for top support or can you/ is there a lower support that meets the listing requirements? Most vents require a 2" raised lip above the "roof", then a storm collar with caulk to the vent. Does this chase top termination meet the 3/2/10 for the Fp?

If that is a EPDM rubber roof coating, it is a problem. If it is metal, it appears to be kinked and possibly a problem.

Yes, you need to consider snow drifting on top of chases. Ugly neighbor's roofs are not addressed by the codes but by knuckles. ;-)

Sloppy workmanship is not in and of itself a problem as long as it meet the functional requirements. Show where it is a defect or it must stand.

HTH,
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Matthew,

I think that JP is referring to the dented standing seam metal roof in the background. I would guess that "oil canning" is what happens to sheet metal when you throw an oil can at it.
    I think the practice you're referring to there is "beer canning".

Old-timers like JP know that engine oil used to come in cans. You shoved a spiggot with a sharp cutter into the top of the can and flipped that into the filler hole on the old oil-burner engine while the leaded gas was pumping. The suction of the oil glooping out thru the spout caused the walls of the can to collapse a bit, then it would gasp a little air and pop out, etc. that's "oil-canning".

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

"oil canning".
    The Term is Most Often used to Described Buckled Vinyl Siding.
    www.certainteed.com/resources/cts205.pdf

ray jackson Guest

I don't know what the complaint is. I'm sure the home owner paid good money for that "custom" flashing. I bet if you look at all the other roofs around you won't see another like it.

I think that JP is referring to the dented standing seam metal roof in the background.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Old-timers like JP know that engine oil used to come in cans. You shoved a spiggot with a sharp cutter into the top of the can and flipped that into the filler hole on the old oil-burner engine while the leaded gas was pumping. The suction of the oil glooping out thru the spout caused the walls of the can to collapse a bit, then it would gasp a little air and pop out, etc. that's "oil-canning".
    Correct.

The metal roof panels are installed nice, and flat, and purty, then along comes a strong wind and ... it tries to suck the metal panels off the roof by pulling against the flat areas and tugging against the clips holding the standing seams down, which leaves a not-so-purty-any-more metal panel roof with wrinkles along the flat part of the panels.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

If you are being called 'too picky', you have reached great inspector status.
    Congratulations.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Is this cap & flashing sitting on a chimney pot on the roof? I can't make out with the lighting (& old eyes) despite blowing up photo (shadows?).

Seems proximity no matter what is being served is an issue with vent on the right as BH pointed out.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-18-2010 at 01:54 PM.

I don't know about the rest of you but sometimes I get tired of being diplomatic and considerate in phraseology. Don't you ever want to just say, "It's a bunch of crud!. Just tear it down and get someone more qualified than the village idiot to replace it!"

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you but sometimes I get tired of being diplomatic and considerate in phraseology. Don't you ever want to just say, "It's a bunch of crud!. Just tear it down and get someone more qualified than the village idiot to replace it!"
    Yes, and ...

... many times I have said stuff just like that.

My clients really like it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com